이 자료는 제목 그대로 <노년의 기독교 여성과 아흐메드 디다트의 공개 질의응답> 약 21분을 옮긴 transcript이다. 자동 전사라 문장이 상당히 깨져 있지만, 논쟁의 흐름은 충분히 확인할 수 있다. 무엇보다 이 짧은 장면은 앞에서 살펴본 디다트의 장점과 한계를 아주 압축적으로 보여준다.
1. 무엇 때문에 여성이 화가 났는가
질문의 출발은 교리논쟁이 아니라 <존중의 문제>이다.
여성은 디다트가 전날 성경을 두고 “세상에서 가장 위험한 책”이라고 말했다고 이해하고 강하게 항의한다. 그러면서 자신의 개인적 배경을 설명한다. 그는 이집트인 무슬림 의사와 결혼했고 두 자녀도 무슬림이며, 시부모 역시 훌륭한 무슬림이었다고 말한다. 자신이 그들을 존경한 이유는 <그들이 자기 종교를 존중했기 때문>이라고 강조한다.
이 부분이 이 대화 전체에서 상당히 중요하다.
이 여성은 단순한 반이슬람 기독교인이 아니다. 오히려 가족생활을 통해 이슬람과 가까이 살아왔으며, 문제 삼는 것은
<“왜 당신은 내가 존경했던 무슬림들과 달리 다른 사람의 신앙을 공격하는가?”>
라는 것이다.
그런데 디다트는 이 윤리적 질문을 곧바로 <성경의 진위와 기독론 문제>로 옮긴다.
이것이 디다트의 전형적인 논쟁 방식이다.
2. “성경은 가장 위험한 책”이라는 문제
디다트는 자신이 직접 그렇게 말한 것이 아니라 <George Bernard Shaw가 그렇게 말했다고 인용했을 뿐>이라고 반박한다. 그리고 녹화물이 있으므로 확인할 수 있다고 말한다.
그러나 여기에서 그는 단순히 오해를 풀고 끝내지 않는다.
곧바로 에스겔 23장의 매우 노골적인 성적 표현을 예로 들면서 성경에는 사람들이 공개적으로 읽기 민망할 정도의 구절이 있다고 주장한다. Jimmy Swaggart와의 토론에서 그에게 그 부분을 읽으면 100달러를 주겠다고 도전했던 일화까지 끌어온다.
이 대목에서 디다트의 수사적 능력이 잘 나타난다.
논리는 다음과 같이 진행된다.
<“내가 성경을 위험한 책이라고 한 것이 아니다.”>
에서 시작했는데 몇 분 뒤에는 사실상
<“그러나 성경에는 여러분도 공개적으로 읽지 못할 정도의 음란한 구절이 있다.”>
로 넘어간다.
따라서 그는 처음의 비판을 형식적으로 부인하면서 내용적으로는 다시 강화한다.
이는 논쟁 기술로서는 매우 효과적이지만, 종교간 대화로서는 문제가 있다.
에스겔의 성적 언어는 예언자가 이스라엘의 우상숭배와 정치적 배신을 묘사하기 위해 사용한 충격적인 은유이다. 그 표현이 현대 독자에게 매우 거칠고 불편한 것은 사실이다. 그러나 그런 구절이 존재한다는 것과 <성경이 음란하거나 위험한 책이라는 것>은 별개의 판단이다.
여기에서 디다트는 역사적·문학적 해석보다는 <청중에게 충격을 주는 인용>을 선택한다.
3. “나와 아버지는 하나이다” — 디다트의 대표적인 예수론
여성은 요한복음의 두 구절을 제시한다.
<“나와 아버지는 하나이다.”>
(요한 10:30)
그리고
<“나는 길이요 진리요 생명이다. 나를 통하지 않고는 아버지께로 올 자가 없다.”>
(요한 14:6)
이를 통해 예수의 독특하고 신적인 지위를 주장한다.
디다트는 첫 번째 구절에 상당히 긴 답변을 한다.
그의 핵심 논리는 <문맥을 보라>는 것이다.
요한 10장에서 예수는 자신의 양을 아무도 빼앗아갈 수 없다고 말하고, 이어 아버지의 손에서도 아무도 빼앗을 수 없다고 말한 뒤
<“나와 아버지는 하나이다.”>
라고 한다.
따라서 디다트는 여기서 “하나”란 존재론적으로 동일하다는 의미가 아니라
<신자를 보호한다는 목적과 활동에서 하나>
라는 뜻이라고 해석한다.
이것은 디다트의 성서 해석 가운데 비교적 강한 부분이다.
적어도 “요한 10:30 한 구절만으로 삼위일체를 증명할 수 있느냐?”라고 묻는다면, 디다트의 문제제기는 상당히 정당하다. “하나”라는 표현 그 자체가 곧바로 후대의 니케아 신조 전체를 의미하지는 않는다.
그는 이어 예수를 돌로 치려는 사람들이 “당신은 사람이면서 자신을 하나님이라 한다”고 비난하자 예수가 시편 82편의
<“너희는 신들이라.”>
라는 구절을 인용했다는 사실도 강조한다. 따라서 성경에서 어떤 사람을 “god” 혹은 “son of God”이라고 부르는 것만으로 그 사람이 본질적으로 하나님이라는 뜻은 아니라는 것이다.
이 역시 무시하기 어려운 논점이다.
4. 그러나 디다트의 결론은 너무 빨리 나간다
여기서부터는 transcript 자체의 요약을 넘어 일반적인 성서학적 관점에서 평가할 필요가 있다.
디다트가 잘 보여주는 것은
<“요한 10:30만 떼어내어 ‘예수=하나님’을 증명할 수 없다.”>
는 것이다.
그러나 그는 여기서 다시
<“따라서 요한복음은 예수의 신성을 말하지 않는다.”>
에 가까운 결론으로 가 버린다.
그것은 지나치다.
요한복음 전체에는 이미 시작부터
<“말씀은 하나님이었다”>
는 높은 기독론이 있고, 뒤에서도 예수에게 매우 높은 신적 권위가 부여된다. 도마가 부활한 예수에게 “나의 주님, 나의 하나님”이라고 고백하는 장면도 있다.
따라서 역사비평적으로 훨씬 흥미로운 질문은
<“예수 자신이 실제 역사 속에서 스스로를 어떻게 이해했는가?”>
와
<“요한복음 공동체가 예수를 어떻게 신학적으로 이해했는가?”>
를 구분하는 것이다.
하지만 디다트는 이런 복잡한 질문보다는
<“예수는 자기가 하나님이라고 말했는가, 안 했는가?”>
라는 공개토론에 유리한 이분법을 선호한다.
5. “나는 길이요 진리요 생명이다”
여성이 두 번째로 제시한 요한복음 14:6에 대해서도 디다트는 문맥을 강조한다.
예수가 제자들에게 자신이 떠나 아버지의 집에 처소를 마련한다고 말했는데 제자들이 그것을 물리적인 장소처럼 이해했고, 그러자 예수가 “내가 곧 길”이라고 설명했다는 것이다.
이 설명에는 일리가 있다.
그러나 이것 역시 “그러므로 예수는 단지 예언자일 뿐이다”라는 결론까지 자동으로 이어지지는 않는다.
오히려 “아버지께 가는 길이 나를 통하지 않고는 없다”는 표현은 예수를 평범한 예언자보다 훨씬 독특한 구원론적 위치에 놓는다.
따라서 이 구절에서 기독교인이 반드시
<“예수는 바로 하나님이라고 선언했다.”>
라고 읽어야 하는 것도 아니지만, 디다트처럼 예수의 특별한 지위를 가능한 한 낮추어 읽는 것 역시 텍스트 전체를 충분히 설명하지 못한다.
6. 가장 흥미로운 부분 — 폭력 문제
후반부에서 여성은 훨씬 본질적인 질문을 던진다.
그녀의 논리는 대략 이렇다.
구약에는 “눈에는 눈, 이에는 이”가 있었지만 예수는
<“오른뺨을 맞으면 왼뺨도 돌려대라.”>
고 가르쳤다.
예수는 사랑과 자비와 비폭력을 가르쳤다.
그런데 약 600년 뒤에 등장한 이슬람에서는 다시 전쟁과 처벌과 살해가 나타나는 것처럼 보인다.
그렇다면
<변하지 않는 하나님이 왜 다시 폭력의 방향으로 돌아갔는가?>
라는 질문이다.
이것은 이 여성이 던진 질문 중 가장 철학적으로 중요한 질문이라고 생각한다.
그러나 디다트는 여기에서도 상대의 전제를 해체하는 방식으로 대응한다.
그는 먼저
<“하나님은 변하지 않는다고 당신이 말했다.”>
고 지적한다.
그렇다면 구약의 “눈에는 눈”에서 신약의 “다른 뺨을 돌려대라”로 바뀐 것 자체가 이미 기독교 성경 안에서 하나님의 명령이 바뀐 것이 아니냐고 묻는다.
또 모세 율법에서는 이혼이 허용되는데 예수는 이혼을 훨씬 엄격하게 제한하지 않았느냐고 한다.
그러므로
<“하나님은 절대로 명령을 바꾸지 않는다.”>
라는 전제 자체가 기독교 성경에 의해 무너진다는 것이다.
이것도 논쟁 기술로서는 상당히 날카롭다.
7. 그러나 여기에서도 중요한 것을 놓친다
기독교 신학에서는 이를 보통
<하나님이 마음을 바꾸었다>
라고 표현하지 않는다.
율법의 발전, 계시의 점진성, 계약의 변화, 예수의 율법 해석 등의 틀에서 이해한다.
마찬가지로 이슬람에서도 메카기의 꾸란과 메디나기의 꾸란, 전쟁 상황에 관한 계시 등을 모두 동일하게 “무슬림은 불신자를 죽여라”라고 읽는 것은 잘못이다.
즉 두 종교 모두
<텍스트 + 역사적 상황 + 해석전통>
을 함께 보아야 한다.
그러나 공개 종교논쟁은 자꾸 그것을
“당신 책에도 이런 구절이 있다.”
라는 방식으로 만든다.
바로 이것이 디다트식 논쟁의 구조적 한계이다.
8. 마지막 장면이 디다트를 가장 잘 보여준다
여성이 사실상 꾸란은 “이슬람을 받아들이지 않는 사람을 죽이라”고 가르친다는 식으로 말하자 디다트는 꾸란을 들어 보이며 도전한다.
<“그런 구절을 찾아서 보여주시오. 시간이 있으니 찾아오시오. 찾으면 내가 여기서 읽겠다.”>
그러자 청중에서 환호와 박수가 나온다.
이 장면은 디다트라는 인물을 아주 잘 보여준다.
그는 단순히 설명하는 사람이 아니다.
<상대방에게 증거를 요구하고, 성경이나 꾸란을 직접 펼치고, 청중 앞에서 검증하게 하는 courtroom debater>
이다.
그의 강연은 어떤 의미에서 예배도 강의도 아니다.
<법정 변론에 가까운 종교적 퍼포먼스>이다.
9. 이 transcript에서 보이는 디다트의 장점
첫째, 놀라울 정도의 성경 기억력이다.
요한복음 10장, 14장, 시편 82편, 에스겔 등을 거의 즉각 연결한다.
둘째, 문맥을 요구한다.
“한 구절만 떼어내지 말고 앞뒤를 읽으라”는 요구 자체는 좋은 성서 읽기의 원칙이다.
셋째, 즉흥적인 논쟁 능력이 뛰어나다.
상대방이 질문을 던지면 곧바로 그 질문의 전제를 찾아내어 거꾸로 돌린다.
넷째, 그는 적어도 이 대화에서는 여성을 모욕하거나 고함치지 않는다. 상당히 격앙된 질문에도 “my dear sister”라고 부르면서 답한다. 그것이 다소 수사적일지라도 그의 무대 운영 능력은 분명하다.
10. 그러나 더 중요한 약점
문제는 <상대방이 묻는 질문에 반드시 대답하는 것은 아니다>라는 것이다.
처음 여성의 핵심 질문은 사실 이런 것이다.
<“나는 무슬림과 평생 가족으로 살면서 그들의 종교를 존중했다. 그런데 왜 당신은 나의 신앙을 그렇게 모욕하는가?”>
그런데 디다트는
“내가 아니라 Bernard Shaw가 그렇게 말했다.”
“에스겔에는 이런 내용이 있다.”
“예수가 자신을 하나님이라고 명시적으로 말하지 않았다.”
로 대화를 전환한다.
즉 <관계의 윤리>에 대한 질문을 <교리적 승패>의 문제로 바꾸어버린다.
이것이 앞서 디다트를 설명하면서 말했던
<그는 대화의 장은 만들지만 반드시 대화의 정신을 만들지는 않는다>
는 평가를 아주 잘 보여준다.
종합평론
이 21분의 질의응답은 디다트를 이해하기 위해 긴 전기보다도 오히려 유용한 자료이다.
여기에서 그는 무례한 광신자로 보이지 않는다. 침착하고 유머가 있으며 성경에 능통하고, 상대방의 주장을 정확한 텍스트로 검증하자고 요구한다. 특히 기독교인이 너무 쉽게 사용하는 “나와 아버지는 하나이다” 같은 proof-text를 문맥 안에서 다시 읽도록 요구하는 것은 충분히 의미가 있다.
그러나 동시에 그의 약점도 선명하다.
그는 상대방의 종교적 세계를 이해하기보다는 <논리적 취약점을 찾아 반격하는 데> 훨씬 관심이 많다.
그래서 이 여성이 말하는
<“내 무슬림 가족은 내 신앙을 존중했는데 당신은 왜 그렇지 않은가?”>
라는 질문에는 사실 끝까지 제대로 대답하지 않는다.
오히려 이 여성이 디다트보다 더 중요한 종교간 대화의 원칙을 말하고 있다고 볼 수도 있다.
그녀가 말하는 것은 사실 단순하다.
<“나는 당신의 종교를 존중한다. 당신도 나의 종교를 존중해 달라.”>
반면 디다트의 원칙은 거의
<“당신이 나의 종교를 비판한다면 나도 당신의 경전을 가지고 당신의 종교를 비판하겠다.”>
이다.
두 태도 사이에는 상당한 차이가 있다.
그래서 이 영상을 보고 나면 디다트에게 감탄하면서도 동시에 불편함을 느끼게 된다. 그는 <상대방의 공격 앞에서 주눅 들지 않는 이슬람>을 만들어내는 데는 대단히 성공했다. 그러나 그 다음 단계, 즉 <상대방을 이겨야 할 사람이 아니라 함께 진리를 찾을 사람으로 보는 종교>까지는 나아가지 못했다.
그 점에서 이 영상은 아흐메드 디다트의 <힘과 한계를 동시에 보여주는 매우 좋은 사례>라고 평가할 수 있다.
Transcript
====
0:000 secondsMr. Ahmed did that yesterday evening.
0:066 secondsYou said that my holy book silence please. Thank you.
0:1414 secondsMy holy book, the Bible is the most dangerous book which ever has been written in the world.
0:2323 secondsWhat are you talking about?
0:2828 secondsWhat in hell are you talking about? I'm sorry I'm using that word in the church. Your question please. Thank you.
0:3535 secondsI have been No, I have to tell this. I have been married to an Egyptian Muslim
0:4444 secondsdoctor and I have two Muslim children and I have had wonderful
0:5252 secondsMuslim parents in-law but they were completely different from you. Do they
0:5858 secondshave gone to Mecca? Do they follow everything from the Quran?
1:041 minute, 4 secondsBut I respect them because they respected my religion. Sorry I miss come to your question.
1:121 minute, 12 secondsAnd now you talked about the occupation.
1:181 minute, 18 secondsYes. My question will be what was was the occupation of the prophet Muhammad
1:251 minute, 25 secondsand how old was his youngest wife when he married her? One of the 10. Thank you.
1:321 minute, 32 secondsSix or 10 years old. Thank you.
1:371 minute, 37 seconds[clears throat]
1:371 minute, 37 secondsSilence, please. The question goes to Mr. Amad, please respect the time limit so we can
1:441 minute, 44 secondshave as many questions as possibly answered.
1:481 minute, 48 secondsThank you. Silence, please. My dear sister, my dear sister, I couldn't grasp everything that you
1:561 minute, 56 secondssaid, but you made certain allegations that I had said that the Bible is the
2:042 minutes, 4 secondsmost dangerous book on earth ever written. You don't remember exactly what I said.
2:102 minutes, 10 secondsI will tell you what I said and you can confirm or deny. I said in the words of George Bernard Shaw, I said George
2:182 minutes, 18 secondsBernard Shaw says that this is the most dangerous book on earth. Keep it under
2:252 minutes, 25 secondslock and key. I said George Bernard Shaw says that
2:302 minutes, 30 seconds[applause]
2:352 minutes, 35 seconds[applause]
2:372 minutes, 37 secondsthere's a videape videos are being made.
2:402 minutes, 40 secondsYou can have it confirmed. And I hope and pray that I come again to Scandinavia to Stockholm. And if you can
2:472 minutes, 47 secondsfind that I said that exact words, these are the words of and the plain truth. He says, you know, many a sensor will give
2:562 minutes, 56 secondsit an X rating. Now out of respect for my brothers and sisters, my sisters and my children, I am I'm ashamed to quote
3:053 minutes, 5 secondsyou the Bible. I asked Jimmy Swagat. I challenged him. I said, I give you $100 if you will read
3:143 minutes, 14 secondsthis portion of the Bible and I open Ezekiel chapter 23 and I gave it to him.
3:213 minutes, 21 secondsAnd that tape is also available here, video tape, my debate with Swag Art. And you watch, he takes the Bible
3:293 minutes, 29 secondsand he scans Ezekiel 23 and he puts this Bible on the what do you call that? Rash upside down. He
3:383 minutes, 38 secondstakes his own Bible and he reads it. And I lost $100.
3:453 minutes, 45 secondsI lost $100. You know why? [applause] I lost $100 to Jimmy Swagger for reading
3:543 minutes, 54 secondsthat. You see, he had played a trick upon the audience. And I was not a quibbler. I don't start quibbling. So, you see, you know, you did. No, no, no.
4:034 minutes, 3 secondsI don't do that. with a smiling face. I took out the notes and I gave it to him.
4:084 minutes, 8 secondsJimmy Swag, it's on tape. What he did was, you see what I gave him was in simple English,
4:154 minutes, 15 secondsmodern English where it calls a spade a spade. He scanned that and he knew he can't read that. Even he with whatever
4:244 minutes, 24 secondswe discover about him later on, even with all those propensities, he dared not read what I gave him the Bible.
4:324 minutes, 32 secondsHe takes the authorized King James version and he read 60 mph.
4:394 minutes, 39 secondsSee some Arab students in Dayton Rouge they asking me the next morning he said uncle what happened? We don't know. I
4:484 minutes, 48 secondssaid you see you know he you challenged him and you know he did something and you gave him $100. Why?
4:564 minutes, 56 secondsSo I said you see this man number of things he did which made him to earn the 100. Number one he didn't read what I gave him.
5:075 minutes, 7 secondsNumber two he was reading 60 m an hour son of man there were two women daughters of one mother and they committed hordeons in the youth they commit horde in Egypt and there were the
5:155 minutes, 15 secondsbreast press breast and they the bruis the teeth of the virginity the ordinary Arab he can't catch whoredom. What is whoredom? He's thinking what what he say
5:245 minutes, 24 secondswhat did he say and before he can grasp what he could have said he's gone 10 miles beyond the speed with which he was
5:315 minutes, 31 secondsreading the archaic English that he was reading and pornography to the American young men is not pornography they're
5:395 minutes, 39 secondsused to it day and night 24 hours a day you see it on TV live so these are the things I don't know if
5:475 minutes, 47 secondsyou want personally you know the opportunity of wanting me to read it to you as a Chapter 16, you read about the Egyptians.
5:565 minutes, 56 secondsThe Egyptians, she spoke about an Egyptian husband. Speak about the Egyptians and it says great of flesh.
6:036 minutes, 3 secondsNow, what do you understand by that? The Egyptians and the Syrians great of flesh. They couldn't satisfy sachiate these Jews. Ezekiel chapter 16.
6:146 minutes, 14 seconds[applause]
6:166 minutes, 16 secondsI can't read it to you but if the pastor wants to I can open up Ezekiel chapter 16 and if the pastor dare to read it
6:256 minutes, 25 secondsit's his privilege. Thank you Mr. that yesterday you said it was different between numbers and uh uh
6:336 minutes, 33 secondsJesus said that me and the father we are one is the first I will say and uh today
6:406 minutes, 40 secondsyou said that you respect Jesus you love Jesus and you believe what he said and I want please Mr. If you can read one word from the Bible, I think it's Johanna 16.
6:566 minutes, 56 secondsNo one can come to the father except through me. This is what Jesus said.
7:027 minutes, 2 secondsYes. I wanted you wanted to know what Jesus had said and I will tell you that your question please. [applause]
7:137 minutes, 13 secondsUh I will repeat what I understood that uh with regards to the divinity of Christ that Jesus is God. I was asking
7:227 minutes, 22 secondsthe pastor to give me an unequivocal unambiguous statement by Jesus that I am
7:307 minutes, 30 secondsGod worship me. And thank God he didn't succeed. But now the lady very fairly
7:377 minutes, 37 secondsshe's asking a question if I understood it correctly that Jesus did say I and my father are one. That was the first statement was it? Where's the lady?
7:467 minutes, 46 secondsShe's I and my father are one. Now it implies that if he is one with God then he is God.
7:567 minutes, 56 secondsThat is what it see on the face of it. I says you know sister or pastor this
8:028 minutes, 2 secondsquotation is in John 10:30 10:30 where Jesus says I and my father are
8:108 minutes, 10 secondsone. He said that I'm asking what is the context and believe me I have asked DDs and
8:198 minutes, 19 secondspriests and reverends and pastors and predicants I'm asking what is the context meaning
8:288 minutes, 28 secondsin what sense did he say that and in the past 40 years I haven't come across a single learned Christian who without
8:378 minutes, 37 secondsopening the book can give me the context he has not been able to give that what is the context? So if you see it in
8:448 minutes, 44 secondsthe context it's not what you're thinking in the context we must see verses not take them out from the
8:528 minutes, 52 secondscontext and say look the man said this in what sense did he say what was he trying to explain so in the context I
8:598 minutes, 59 secondssaid start with John 23 10:23 and you read there it says and Jesus walked in
9:079 minutes, 7 secondsSolomon's porch meaning in the temple of Jerusalem then came the Jews round about him. Meaning they surrounded him and
9:169 minutes, 16 secondssaid, brandishing a finger in his face, how long does thou make us to doubt? If the
9:249 minutes, 24 secondsif thou be the Christ, tell us plainly, insinuating, alleging that he's talking
9:329 minutes, 32 secondsambiguously. If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. So Jesus says, I told you and you believe not. The works that I do
9:409 minutes, 40 secondsin my father's name, they bear witness of me. My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me and I give unto
9:489 minutes, 48 secondsthem eternal life and they shall never perish. My father which gave them me is greater than all and no man is able to plug them out of my father's hand.
9:599 minutes, 59 secondsNeither was that was verse 28. Verse 29 neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. I and my father are one.
10:0810 minutes, 8 secondsThis is the context. In other words, if once a person accepts faith, God sees to it that the person remains in faith and
10:1610 minutes, 16 secondsI as a teacher, as a master, as a I see to it that the person remains in faith.
10:2110 minutes, 21 secondsWe are one in this to see that the person remains in faith. Not in his omnipotence, not in his omniscience, not
10:2910 minutes, 29 secondsin his what? Knowledge, nothing. is talking about the oneness of purpose in seeing that the believer remains in
10:3710 minutes, 37 secondsfaith. But the Jews were looking for trouble. And when you are looking for trouble, you find it around the corner. You don't have to go very far.
10:4710 minutes, 47 seconds[applause]
10:4910 minutes, 49 secondsSo the Jews, verse 31, the Jews picked up stones again to stone him.
10:5510 minutes, 55 secondsSo Jesus says, "Many good works have I showed you from my father. For which of those works do you stone me? So they say
11:0311 minutes, 3 secondsfor a good work we stone thee not but for blasphemy kufur because that thou being a man makest thyself a god. That
11:1111 minutes, 11 secondsis the charge that you are now claiming divinity. For that you deserve death according to the law of the Jews. What
11:1911 minutes, 19 secondsdoes Jesus say to that? If he was God here's an opportunity said look if I am God what else can I say? You ask me are you Muslim? I I said look I'm a Muslim.
11:2811 minutes, 28 secondsI have to say I'm a Muslim. I don't know what you going to do with that now. What are you going to do to me? But you say are you a Muslim? I say I'm a Muslim. If Jesus is God, then he should say if I am
11:3711 minutes, 37 secondsGod, what else can I say? But he didn't say anything like that. He said, is it not written
11:4311 minutes, 43 secondsin your law? He's sarcastic. The law means the Torah, the first five books of Moses, Genesis, Exodus, Levitical, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Is it not
11:5211 minutes, 52 secondswritten in your law I said ye are gods?
11:5811 minutes, 58 secondsIn other words, he's quoting from the 82nd Psalm. The pastor has already made reference to it from the 82nd Psalm. He said, "I said ye are gods." It's a quotation.
12:0912 minutes, 9 secondsIf he God Almighty called them gods unto whom the word of God came means the prophets are called gods in our
12:1612 minutes, 16 secondsscripture. This is our language. This is how we talk. Like in a court of law, in an English court, they say me Lord. Me
12:2412 minutes, 24 secondsLord. Who? The magistrate. The judge he say me lord me lord my lord my lord is your lord is your god no this is your
12:3212 minutes, 32 secondslanguage you talk like that out of the say me lord me lord means my lord my lord you don't mean god that's your
12:3912 minutes, 39 secondslanguage in South Africa the word for god is here hot and here the lord here e
12:4912 minutes, 49 secondse is the here I I am god and you go to Cape Town or any the place
12:5612 minutes, 56 secondsin the cities and you find there it says there signs when you go to the toilets it says
13:0213 minutes, 2 secondsdharma here dharma means d ladies and hereer means
13:1013 minutes, 10 secondsmen gentlemen but at one stage I didn't know that here means gentlemen I had
13:1713 minutes, 17 secondslearned it from the bible thater means god lord so I'm seeing dharma I guess it
13:2413 minutes, 24 secondsmust be dames ladies is but here
13:2813 minutes, 28 seconds[applause]
13:3213 minutes, 32 seconds[applause]
13:3513 minutes, 35 secondstoilet for gods in South Africa. Toilet for gods. No, there are no toilets for gods. Gods don't go to toilets.
13:4213 minutes, 42 secondsBut this is the language.
13:4513 minutes, 45 secondsSo Jesus is telling look in our language people are called gods and you find no fault with that. Why are you finding
13:5313 minutes, 53 secondsfault with me when I say and the son of God which is a lesser expression than calling a person a god? Moses is called a god. The devil is called a god in the
14:0114 minutes, 1 secondbible and the Jews are called gods that ye are the children of god and the children of the most high. Ye are gods
14:0914 minutes, 9 secondsand the children of the most high. 82nd psalm. So in other words, this is our language. We talk like that. The godly person, we say he's a god. It doesn't
14:1714 minutes, 17 secondsmean god, he's a godly. Instead of saying godly, it's a god. This is our language. Why are you trying to find fault with me? No, there is no no idea
14:2614 minutes, 26 secondsthere but conveyed by Jesus when he said I and my father are one meaning he is God. Thank you sir.
14:3314 minutes, 33 secondsThen about that other verse Jesus says I am the way the truth and the life. No man cometh unto the father but by me. That was the second one.
14:4014 minutes, 40 secondsYes.
14:4214 minutes, 42 secondsAh it says I am the way the truth and the life. No man cometh unto the father but by me. He says I accept that. You
14:5014 minutes, 50 secondssee Jesus Christ what you when you read that I think it's John chapter 14 start from verse chapter 13 and you read there
14:5914 minutes, 59 secondsand each and every expression the Jews misunderstood everything the disciples misunderstood Jesus is telling them that
15:0615 minutes, 6 secondsI'm going to prepare a place for you in my father's house there are many mentions if it was not so I would have told you and wheither I go ye know you
15:1415 minutes, 14 secondsknow where I'm going and the way ye know they say Lord we know not whether thou goest And how can we know the way? They misunderstood.
15:2415 minutes, 24 secondsThey misunderstood. Jesus is talking about God and about spiritual matters.
15:2915 minutes, 29 secondsAnd they think of geographical locations. What? Stockholm, Oslo, what's that? He's thinking about
15:3715 minutes, 37 secondsgeographical places. He's talking about spiritual matters. So they said, "Look, we don't know. And how do we know the way?" Misunderstood. So he said, "Look, I am the way, the truth, and the life.
15:4815 minutes, 48 secondsNo man cometh unto the father but by me.
15:5115 minutes, 51 secondsIt was too heavy for them. That was too heavy for them. So they say again Philillip buts in he said look all this
15:5915 minutes, 59 secondswhat you are talking is too heavy for us. We don't know what you're talking about. You're talking over our heads.
16:0416 minutes, 4 secondsJust show us the father and it suffice at us. Show us God. That will give us satisfaction enough. So Jesus says
16:1116 minutes, 11 secondsPhillip you have been with me for so long. Why ask us thou show us the father? If you have seen me, you have
16:1816 minutes, 18 secondsseen the father. And they misunderstood again. It's a continuous series of misconceptions. So Jesus is telling
16:2516 minutes, 25 secondsthem, "Ye of little faith. Ye of little faith." How many times? And he explains to them as I'm explaining to you now
16:3316 minutes, 33 secondslike to little children and they can't understand. So he said, "Are you even yet without understanding?" And when he's provoked further, he said, "Oh faithless and perverse generation,"
16:4116 minutes, 41 secondstelling his disciples, "Oh faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I be with you?" I'm saying that if he was a Japanese
16:5016 minutes, 50 secondsinstead of a Jew, he would have committed that honorable harakiri suicide.
16:5316 minutes, 53 secondsMy question in very short in the Old Testament, we was taught that eye by eye, teeth by teeth, revenge, etc., etc.
17:0417 minutes, 4 secondsWe grow up. Jesus came. He taught us all of these things if you might know. And I'm quite sure you know. But let me
17:1317 minutes, 13 secondsinter you know interrupt this and and ask you one question before. You said that you believe in God. This God has
17:2117 minutes, 21 secondscharacter. He knows the future. He knows the past. He knows the present. He doesn't change his mind. Do you agree? I go on.
17:3217 minutes, 32 secondsJesus came and I'm quite sure that what I'm saying here you find in any of these books and you might find it in Quran
17:4017 minutes, 40 secondstoo. Jesus came and taught us if one slapped you on the right cheek give him
17:4717 minutes, 47 secondsthe left one. Sympathy, mercy, no violence, love, charlick.
17:5317 minutes, 53 secondsHe taught us if one ask you [clears throat] to go a mile with him go too. If he ask you your coat, give him
18:0118 minutes, 1 secondyour dress. When he asked his uh tip spells larger to go and preach in the
18:0918 minutes, 9 secondsworld, he told them go and preach my word in peace. No violence. If they accept your word, take it. If they don't
18:1718 minutes, 17 secondstake it, go and go on. Why after five no sorry 600 years the God whom you believe
18:2718 minutes, 27 secondsand I do how he changed his mind again he tells me the one who hits you hit him
18:3518 minutes, 35 secondsagain go and preach in my name and if they don't accept my name and my word
18:4118 minutes, 41 secondskill them if your wife miss if your wife does I'm faithful to you kill her kill
18:4818 minutes, 48 secondspunish kill punish hate Hate, hate, hate. Thank you, sir.
18:5218 minutes, 52 secondsHe raised me up. Why you take me very much down again? Sir, your question is clear. Thank you.
18:5718 minutes, 57 seconds[applause]
19:0219 minutes, 2 secondsSilence, please. Thank you. Well, here's some more hot steam.
19:0919 minutes, 9 secondsThe brother said, Islam says the teaching of Jesus was turning the other cheek. If a man
19:1719 minutes, 17 secondstakes away your coat, give him your cloak also. Agree with thine adversary quickly. Jesus said before they take you
19:2519 minutes, 25 secondsbefore the magistrate and make you to pass with your last father. But now you said God doesn't change his mind. But he
19:3319 minutes, 33 secondshad given you a law an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. You are a Christian today. From your question I make out you're a Christian, right? But now God changed his mind.
19:4519 minutes, 45 secondsDidn't he change his mind? First was eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Now he's telling him, [clears throat] "You resist not evil. When a man hits you on
19:5419 minutes, 54 secondsthe right cheek, give him the other." He changed his mind. He changed his mind according to your Bible. Wait a minute.
20:0120 minutes, 1 secondAnd then again, he told you, God told you that whosoever puts away his wife, let him give her a bill of divorcement. But Jesus said,
20:0920 minutes, 9 seconds"But I say unto you, whosoever puts away his wife, save for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery. And whosoever marries that is
20:1720 minutes, 17 secondsdivorce, committed adultery." He changed his mind again. And he's changing his mind continuously. But you said God
20:2420 minutes, 24 secondsdoesn't change his mind. Now you will have to account or the pastor will have to account for that, not me. When you
20:3120 minutes, 31 secondssay make allegations against the Quran, the Quran says that if anybody does not accept Islam, chop off his head, kill him. Here is the Quran. And you have up
20:3920 minutes, 39 secondsto 10:00 to find that verse and show it to us. I'll read it for the people.
20:4320 minutes, 43 seconds[cheering]
20:4520 minutes, 45 seconds[applause]
20:5020 minutes, 50 secondsThank you, Mr. Dad.