2022/08/02

[[The Laws of Change: I Ching and the Philosophy of Life by Jack M. Balkin | Goodreads

The Laws of Change: I Ching and the Philosophy of Life by Jack M. Balkin | Goodreads

https://www.scribd.com/book/177661610/The-Laws-of-Change-I-Ching-and-the-Philosophy-of-Life






===

The Laws of Change: I Ching and the Philosophy of Life

 4.63  ·   Rating details ·  38 ratings  ·  3 reviews
As important to Chinese civilization as the Bible is to Western culture, the I Ching is one of the oldest treasures of world literature. Yet despite many commentaries written over the years, it is still not well understood in the English-speaking world. In this masterful new interpretation, Jack Balkin returns the I Ching to its rightful place as a book of wisdom that teaches how to live one’s life in a changing and confusing world.

The I Ching is nothing less than an explanation of the laws of change in the universe and of how human beings can learn to live in harmony with them. Balkin presents it as a work of practical philosophy and ethics, concerned with helping people to cultivate their characters, achieve emotional balance, and maintain personal integrity in the face of adversity and ever-changing circumstances. He shows how the I Ching’s divinatory system helps the reader discover the book’s underlying philosophy through applying its insights to everyday problems.

Balkin’s comprehensive and perceptive commentaries highlight a clear, understandable version of the core text of the I Ching that preserves its striking imagery while remaining faithful to the long tradition of ethical interpretations of the work. The Laws of Change: I Ching and the Philosophy of Life affords us the opportunity to experience a world masterpiece anew with unprecedented depth and understanding.
 (less)

GET A COPY

Hardcover672 pages
Kristen Isis Karayani
Oct 15, 2021rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for anyone interested in and/or practicing the I Ching. It is yet another rich and unique perspective that can add to one's casts esp. for personal development, as food for further thought offering a deeper study of patterns in life, enriching one's understanding. As well can be received as a wider perspective to the original texts, which can add too, for example, practical steps into one's every day life very intelligently, looking through processes and cultivating oneself. Very well thought and well written. (less)
Nigel Cockayne
Nov 14, 2017rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have looked at lots of printed material on the Book of Changes and would, without doubt, say this is the most comprehensive and a MUST HAVE worth adding to any other books you have on the topic.
The typeface is lovely and clear and the text spaced nicely making it easier to read. What is missing in another book is here! The plain English explanations are fantastic. With this book, you feel like you will truly learn something new each day. So if you have a really difficult situation to consider I would certainly consult this book.

My hat off to the author this has sparked a deeper interest. I just wish some beautiful art was included to make this work an even more stunning read.
 (less)
Benny Robertson  II
Definitely a life changing read. This particular book has helped significantly with my understanding of the original Wilhelm/Baynes translation. I often use the two together to increase my understanding of the original.

===




===

Yvonne
5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 5 January 2017
Verified Purchase
great, excellent
Randomroy
5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 29 August 2014
Verified Purchase
excellent book
Jose Carlos
5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal
Reviewed in Spain on 21 June 2020
Verified Purchase
Excellent. This is one of the translations and comments that I find most accurate and consistent with what I asked, so that it points on the target in an astonishing way, in contrast to other authors who go through the branches. 100% recommended.
Report abuse
Translated from Spanish by Amazon
mysticpoet
4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, readable, clear
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 3 March 2014
Verified Purchase
I like this book very much because of its clarity and avoidance of too much symbolism that for some less intuitive types can feel too obscure. That is not to say that symbolism does not have a richness that enables diverse and important interpretations but to say that to have this particular, rather prosaic account, alongside other commentaries of the I ching is a great help.
The interpretations are thorough, interesting and in my view have a pretty good level of accuracy.
An important adjunct to anyone's collection of I ching commentaries.
2 people found this helpful
Report abuse
KAILASH KOTIAN
5.0 out of 5 stars Good read.
Reviewed in India on 15 July 2022
Verified Purchase
It’s an excellent read.The author has done a great job.It’s the easiest book I’ve ever found on understanding I Ching and it’s psychological meaning.It’s a must have book on I Ching.Great work.
===