2020/10/30

Religious Society of Friends troubled by recent posts that denigrate religious faith

(1) Religious Society of Friends

 
I'm deeply troubled by recent posts to this forum that denigrate religious faith. Perhaps I need to share my own background to spell out in detail where my religious journey has taken me and how I've ended up where I am today.
I was raised a lukewarm United Methodist, by a mother who was a lukewarm United Methodist. As I have become an adult, I've realized that my mother's faith was shattered by the tragic death of an older sister when she was barely in her teens. You may ask why myself and my two sisters were taken back to church at a young age. It is just what one does in the Bible Belt, and sadly many parents go through the motions or use church as a glorified babysitting service. I think the intentions of both my parents were good. I think they wanted to raise myself and my two sisters as moral beings.
As a teenager, I rejected religion as many adolescents do. I then spent nearly a decade as a Unitarian Universalist, until I came to view them as hopeless post-modernists, often with the same bitterness, spite, and bile I held.
I am 40 now. I became a Friend at 28, and reevaluated my initial resentment at organized religion, finding great value and wisdom in religion, particularly the Bible. Since then, I have tried to be tolerant of how Spirit manifests itself in others, particularly in my own Meeting. But again, I must stress that the sort of intolerance I've found in others is deeply discouraging. I know a former Catholic who has gone as far as to have her baptism and communion revoked.
Religion is not the root of all evil. While it is true that I was dragged along to a Southern Baptist church when I was at the most potent point of finding my own identity, these people visited me in the hospital in my many stays. They will almost certainly not vote the way I will in a matter of days, but they honor the value of community and tending one's flock, virtues which more liberal faiths tend to shirk.
We can learn a ton from their example.
Comments
  • Lori Paton thank you Kevin
  • Muriel Edgerton Kevin Camp My faith history is very different than yours, but I resonate deeply with where you are now. I too grieve when I read posts for a group that calls itself the Religious Society of Friends which speak of other faiths and other belief systems iSee more
  • Thomas Leverett When I became a Quaker my father said, "Well, at least it's not an organized religion..."
  • Kenn Orphan I was raised in a conservative pentecostal faith and went to a Nazarene college. I never felt a "part of the flock" because I had to hide who I truly was or I be quite literally kicked out.

    In my experience it has been the more liberal churches and meetings that have been more embracing of me for who I am. So I feel quite the opposite. I think it is the ultra conservative faiths who need to do the most learning.
  • Marsha Kitamura Interesting. I felt what you wrote. Yes, the value of community is one of the compelling attributes to more conservative Christians. However, the exclusion of anybody is an ignorant tunnel vision that Is directly opposite of the teachings of Jesus. Jesus was a rebel. He believed in social change. Love was his message...not just for some but for all.
  • Mark Deramo Thank you for sharing. I have had mixed experiences with organized religion; there was a very brief time that I attended an evangelical (Biblical literalism) church. I was struck by how much the church community cared about each other, but I was alsoSee more