2020/10/11

Belonging to the Universe: Explorations on the Frontiers of Science and Spirituality by Fritjof Capra | Goodreads

Belonging to the Universe: Explorations on the Frontiers of Science and Spirituality by Fritjof Capra | Goodreads



by Fritjof Capra

 3.69  ·   Rating details ·  67 ratings  ·  5 reviews

Now in paperback--a remarkably compatible new view of the universe offered by the trailblazer of new science and a contemporary of Thomas Merton. "An entertaining, thought-provoking book filled with conversations, quotations, and colorful stories that make science and theology come alive".--San Francisco Chronicle. Winner of the American Book Award.

---

Andrew

May 02, 2019Andrew rated it liked it

I think I understood roughly seven of the concepts used in this book and maybe 14 of the words used.



Two super smart dudes talk about science and religion. But they don't do a swell job of making it accessible like my boy Alan Watts.



There were times I was interested in what the dudes had to say about life and shit. At other times, (most of the time if I'm being honest with myself) I was like..."what?"



Maybe someday I'll pick it back up, slow down, wrap my head around this thing and "get" "it."



If you're smarter than me, then go read this book! But I got second place in the spelling bee in 6th grade, so I know a thing or two about stuff.



----

William Crosby

Feb 24, 2015William Crosby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This book is the result of discussions at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur. It focuses on parallel shifts in thinking (paradigm) within science and religion (they focus primarily on Christian and Buddhism; others are mentioned, but not dealt with as in-depth as those two).



This is put in the format of a dialogue between the authors. Often there is agreement (and it often seemed they were trying too hard to find similarities and conjunctions between science and religion); sometimes there is questioning of each other and teasing out certain points.



The format was too scattershot and not structured enough for me. I'd get interested in a line of thought and then suddenly they'd digress to something else. I sometimes felt I was walking in a fast moving muddy river trying to see the constantly varying bottom.



They also would sometimes use judgmental words such as "reactionary" and "outmoded."



While this book did give me some new ideas, I did not like the format. (less)

--

Daniel Facchini

Jun 30, 2014Daniel Facchini rated it it was amazing

Recommends it for: People interested in science, spirituality and paradigm discussions

I thought this was an amazing book. As it was published 23 years ago, some of the very few debates including "current issues" are outdated. Nevertheless, everything else is still up to date, even though the paradigm shift in science and theology is what is beeing discussed.



I always find it impressive when highly educated people from different backgrounds work together towards an integrative approach. The discussions the authors make brings a lot of information and calls for an inner reflexion on the way every aspect of life can be influenced by science and spirituality. (less)

--

Vicki

Jul 09, 2008Vicki rated it liked it

Shelves: always-reading

This is a wonderful book so far - I haven't finished it yet. It is a great hybrid of scientific systems theory and Christian spirituality. I wish I had read it sooner.

--

Peggy Lo

Dec 03, 2010Peggy Lo rated it it was amazing

Shelves: religion, science

Great discussion of paradigm shifts in science and theology and historical as well as ongoing changes

---

From other countries
Sam
2.0 out of 5 stars Unstructured
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 December 2013
Verified Purchase
There are some interesting ideas in a book, but the conversational structure of the book means that they are never properly defined, explained or explored in any real detail, leaving one ultimately unsatisfied. The conversational structure also means that the topic under consideration tends to vary back and forth, which makes it difficult to properly consider any of the ideas presented.
One person found this helpful
Report abuse
J B Quinlan
3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in Catra
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 10 February 2016
Verified Purchase
Capra is a great writer and scientific intellectual .. but this is NOT one of his best.
One person found this helpful
Report abuse
Ashen Breese
4.0 out of 5 stars More on spirituality, less on science
Reviewed in the United States on 16 June 2009
Verified Purchase
If you are looking to hear more on the "new paradigm" in science, this is probably not the book for you. While the book touches on the scientific side of "new thinking", it is largly about new perspectives in Christian theology. Personally I have always had major issues with conventional Christian theology. This is the first source I have ever read that presents a more open and "inclusive" take what I had always considered a very "exclusive" and closed religion. The book is particularly interesting, but the last chapter (social implications on "new paradigm" thinking) starts to lose momentum, becoming less significant rambling.
9 people found this helpful
Report abuse
Rabe'
5.0 out of 5 stars I am speechless :)
Reviewed in the United States on 26 January 2014
Verified Purchase
I am now reading page 71 and I am very thankful for the writers as they organize the history of our development as humanity in a very simple rational way. I am already in love with this book. I advise everyone who is looking for true wisdom to read this book.
5 people found this helpful
Report abuse
poet1
5.0 out of 5 stars Belonging to the Universe
Reviewed in the United States on 8 November 2012
Verified Purchase
What I liked about Belonging to the Universe is the connection of spirituality with the physical parts of the universe. Belonging to the Unverse assists me in how I ask and reflect on the question... 'Who am I?'.
3 people found this helpful
Report abuse
WILLIAM OCONNOR
4.0 out of 5 stars Great minds in a great discussion
Reviewed in the United States on 3 June 2013
Verified Purchase
Reminds me of some of the opportunities
I had in college to hear dialogues
by some of the best minds of the '60s.
Always enlightening.

Well worth the read,
and this volume will stay on my shelf for reference.
2 people found this helpful
Report abuse
Smrrain