2024/01/05

Luke Timothy Johnson


Yet, what were we to do with what was apparently a gift from God, given without our asking, given, in fact, despite our greatest fears?   


 Interspersed with my short stints back at the monastery, the flow of long letters and equally lengthy phone calls continued between 1971 and 1973. We tried to work out <how we could be faithful to God> and <honor what (we were increasingly convinced) God had given us>, and <not do damage to those to whom we were committed>. In the winter of 1972-1973, I left the rectory and moved to a one-room apartment on Chapel street. I set to work on papers petitioning for a dispensation from my vows. My petition was rejected; leaving the monastery meant, in effect, to be excommunicated. Joy's husband had already separated from her, and the process of divorce (on the grounds of abandonment) began. She petitioned the church for an annulment, and that petition likewise was rejected. We were on our own.  


Cut off from the tradition that had sustained each of us throughout our lives, we depended even more on each other to make our way forward in darkness rather than light, in ambiguity rather than certainty. In June of 1973, I drove Joy and three of the youngest children to New Haven, where we leased a house near the divinity school on Edgehill Avenue. We began to try to create a life together, because each of our past lives was lost forever. We each would have to figure out <how to seek sanctity divorced from the contexts that had formerly given shape to that most fundamental of quests.>  


To call all of this a distraction would be much too dismissive. The gift of Joy's love was the most important thing in my life, and it remained he most important element of my life for forty-seven years until Joy died in 2017. 

Joy was, and remained to the end, not only <the singular symbol of God's grace in my life> but <the embodiment of that grace>. 

She was for me <"the love of God poured into our hearts through the Holy spirit."> 

She taught me what grace was simply by being who she was. 

It was not an affectation when I would later declare that everything I knew about grace I learned from Joy. 

There is a reason why I dedicated the great majority of my books to her.  


Not a distraction. But this new and powerful reality shattered the certainties of my former existence and meant that, from the very start of doctoral work, I labored at scholarship with one figurative hand behind my back. The other hand was always busy trying to stir and discern emotional tea leaves, and trying to deal with the human damage that illicit love (even if holy) can leave in its wake. Joy and I married in early 1974, and our daughter Tiffany was born later that year. I was now a new creation: a husband, a stepfather of six children three of them full ime in the household), and the father of one. I had not finished my PhD, and I was still a long way from having a job that could support this venture.

===

그러나 우리가 구하지도 않고 실제로는 우리의 가장 큰 두려움에도 불구하고 주어지는, <겉보기에 하나님이 주신 선물인 것처럼 보이는 것>을 우리는 어떻게 해야 합니까?

  수도원에서 짧은 시간을 보내는 동안에도 1971년부터 1973년까지 긴 편지와 똑같이 긴 전화 통화가 계속되었습니다. 우리는 어떻게 <하나님께 신실하고>, <하나님께서 주신 것을 존중할 수 있는지>를 연구하고, 또 <우리에게 맡겨진 사람들에게 피해를 주지 않으려고>  노력했습니다.  1972-1973년 겨울, 나는 목사관을 떠나 (예일 대학 가까이에 있는) 채플 스트리트에 있는 원룸 아파트로 이사했습니다. 나는 (수도승이 되는) 서약(의) 면제를 청원하는 서류 작업에 착수했습니다만 내 청원이 거부되었습니다. 수도원을 떠나는 것은 사실상 파문을 의미했습니다. 조이의 남편은 이미 그녀와 별거했고, (버림을 이유로) 이혼 절차가 시작되었습니다. 그녀는 교회에 무효화 (?)를 청원했지만 그 청원도 마찬가지로 거부되었습니다. 우리는 이제 우리 둘만의 홀로가 되었습니다. 

우리 각자를 평생 지탱해 온 전통에서 단절된 우리는 빛보다는 어둠 속에서, 확실성보다는 모호함 속에서 앞으로 나아가기 위해 더욱 서로 의지했습니다. 1973년 6월에 나는 조이와 막내 세 자녀를 데리고 뉴헤이븐으로 가서 Edgehill Avenue에 있는 신학교 근처에 집을 임대했습니다. 

우리는 각각의 과거의 삶이 영원히 사라졌기 때문에 <함께 삶을 창조하려고> 노력하기 시작했습니다. 우리 각자는 거룩함을 추구하는 방법을 찾아내야 했습니다. 이번에는 그 탐구의 가장 근본적인 근본을 형성했던 이제까지의 맥락에서 분리된 상태에서. 


이 모든 것을 마음의 혼란이라고 부르는 것은 이 사정을 너무 가볍게 보는 것입니다. <조이의 사랑>이라는 이 선물은 내 인생에서 가장 중요한 것이었고, 조이가 2017년에 세상을 떠날 때까지 47년 동안 <내 인생의 가장 중요한 요소>로 남아 있었습니다. 

--

조이는 <내 삶에 나타난 하나님의 은혜의 유일한 상징>일 뿐만 아니라 <그 은혜의 구현>이었고, 끝까지 남아 있었습니다. 그녀는 나에게 <성령으로 통하여 우리 마음에 부어 주신 하나님의 사랑>이었습니다. 그녀는 자신의 존재 자체만으로도 은혜가 무엇인지 나에게 가르쳐주었습니다. 내가 은혜에 관해 아는 모든 것을 조이에게서 배웠다고 나중에 선언한 것은 가식이 아니었습니다. 내가 내 책의 대부분을 그녀에게 헌정한 데는 이유가 있었습니다.

--

혼란이 아닙니다.  그러나 이 새롭고 강력한 현실은 나의 이전의 존재에 대한 확신을 산산조각 냈고, 이는 비유적으로 말하자면 내가 박사 과정을 시작하는 바로 그 순간부터 한 손을 등 뒤로 한 채 학문 연구에 매진했다는 것을 의미했습니다. 

다른 한 손은 감정적인 찻잎을 휘젓고 분별하려고 애쓰며, (심지어 거룩하더라도) 불법적인 사랑이 그 여파로 남길 수 있는 인간적 피해를 처리하려고 애쓰느라 항상 바빴습니다. 조이와 나는 1974년 초에 결혼했고, 그 해 말에 우리 딸 티파니가 태어났습니다. 나는 이제 새로운 피조물이 되었습니다. 남편이자 여섯 자녀 중 세 자녀를 둔 계부이자 한 아이의 아버지였습니다. 나는 박사 학위를 마치지 못했고, 이 벤처를 지원할 수 있는 직업을 갖기까지는 아직 멀었습니다.

====

Not a distraction. But this new and powerful reality shattered the certainties of my former existence and meant that, from the very start of doctoral work, I labored at scholarship with one figurative hand behind my back. 

The other hand was always busy trying to stir and discern emotional tea leaves, and trying to deal with the human damage that illicit love (even if holy) can leave in its wake. Joy and I married in early 1974, and our daughter Tiffany was born later that year. I was now a new creation: a husband, a stepfather of six children three of them full ime in the household), and the father of one. I had not finished my PhD, and I was still a long way from having a job that could support this venture.