2021/10/10

Hwangbo Kangja | Laurie Toby Edison

Photo of the Week: Hwangbo Kangja | Laurie Toby Edison

Photo of the Week: Hwangbo Kangja

sharethis sharing button Share
pinterest sharing button Pin
twitter sharing button Tweet
facebook sharing button Share
email sharing button Email

Laurie says:

This weeks photo is Hwango Kangja from the Women of Japan project. These are the images I took of her in Japan and her texts are below in English and Japanese.

..

..
Laurie asked a mutual friend of ours, “Introduce me to a woman in Japan who has a sense of presence.” I asked her, “Is that me?” and I agreed to model for her. We had over a five-hour photograph session at Manjuin temple in Kyoto, but since my friend who interpreted for me left halfway, the rest of the session was run only with whatever communication we could muster. The session began with an explanation of her work. She asked me questions; we got to know each other by exchanging questions. This process was short, but done well. Of course, it included the promise that I would agree each time that my photograph was going to be exhibited.

Autumn in Kyoto is wonderful. Being outside made me feel more open than being photographed indoors. But I couldn’t smile or grin naturally. The difficulty of being “natural” stumped me completely. With Laurie’s encouragement and perseverance, we finally completed the photography session. I was relieved, and then she asked me, “Pose for me in the way you feel most like who you are.” And that work is one of the photographs she chose [for exhibition]. When I found out about it a half-year later, I felt, “She got me!” Also, she chose a photograph where I am in a bamboo forest; she said the straight thick bamboo “fit with my image”.

Laurie, who is Jewish, and I have a lot in common. If you count from my Korean father, I am the second-generation Korean; from my mother, I am the third-generation Korean. Nobody can tell that I am a Korean if I don’t mention it. Laurie’s grandfather and my father left their own countries because of war and ethnic exclusion. They were swallowed up into the majority and lived in tension all the time. Talking with her, I didn’t feel like it was the first time we met, and I felt close to her.

Before Laurie came to Japan, she was told, “There is no diversity in Japan,” but she found so much wonderful diversity. That is because the friend who introduced me to Laurie understands diversity.

The [immediate] association of the title “Women of Japan” is nothing more than a person who has Japanese nationality and looks Japanese. These photographs can’t tell you who the model is without an explanation. Especially my picture: my name is the only clue. Plus, it is a more obscure clue, since it is not a common Korean name. I suppose many Japanese would feel an inconsistency, asking, “Why is this a woman of Japan?” And my kin would be surprised, asking, “Why did you naturalize as a Japanese?” But I was born and raised Korean in Japan, and also have been a woman living in Japan ever since.

What kind of woman lives in Japan? Who is this member of Japanese society? There certainly is a common belief that Koreans, foreign people living in Japan, should not be considered as “Japanese women.” Also, there are women in Japan who can’t be described by this expression alone. The title “Women of Japan,” which is not simple, lets us raise many questions.

Laurie Edison’s “Women of Japan” challenges the usual conception of who is not included. It lets the viewers notice the fact that they’re living in a society that ignores the Korean neighbor who has been living in Japan for nearly one century, as well as ignoring other women in Japan. It creates a social revolution via a partnership between the one who takes the photograph and the one whose photograph is being taken. Can I do something so expressive? I, who wouldn’t listen to the story of my grandmother and mother who both have passed away, am going to try demonstrate their mystery. What were their lives like as Korean women living in Japan? I’d like to trace their ways of life, ways that can’t be covered by just the words “cruel” or “misfortune.” And I want to reconfirm to myself who I am by doing so.

translation by Motomi Rudoff

皇甫康子(ファンボ・カンヂャ)//
「日本にいる存在感のある女性を紹介してほしい」というローリーさんの要望に、「私でいいの?」とモデルを引き受けた。京都の蔓珠院での5時間に 渡る撮影だったのだが、途中で通訳の友人もいなくなり、それこそ、感覚だけで撮影が進められた。最初に彼女から、今までの作品についての説明や私への質問 など、お互いを知り合い、疑問を出し合うというプロセスを短時間ではあるが、きちんと行った。勿論、作品が出される時には、その度に私に確認するという約 束も含めてである。
秋の京都は素晴らしく、自室での撮影より気分が開放的になった。しかし、自然に笑う、微笑むということが出来ない。「自然に」というのがこんなに難 しいものなのかと、ホトホト困った。ローリーさんの励ましと粘り強さに引っ張られ、撮影がようやく終了し、ほっとした最後の「一番自分らしいポーズをとっ て」という写真が作品になっている。半年後、写真を見て「ヤラレタ!」っていう感じだった。また、真っ直ぐに伸びた太い竹は「あなたのイメージにぴった り」と竹林の中にいる私の作品も一点ある。//
ユダヤ人のローリーさんとは、いろんな共通項がある。在日朝鮮人の父から数えると二世、母から数えると三世の私は、何も言われなければ朝鮮人だとは 分からない。戦争や民族排除によって、ローリーさんのお父さんも私の父も祖国を後にした。そして、多数者の中に飲み込まれ、常に神経を張り巡らせて生きて きた。そんな彼女との会話は初対面とは思えぬほど、身近に感じられた。/
ローリーさんは日本に来る前に「日本には多様性がない」と言われたが、実際はすばらしい多様なものがいっぱいあったという。それは、ローリーさんに 私たちを紹介した友人が多様性を持った人だったからだ。「日本の女性たち」というタイトルから連想するのは、日本国籍保持者で、見た目が日本人に他ならな い。今回の作品は説明がないと、この人が一体何者なのかわからない。特に私の写真は、名前だけが唯一の手がかりになっている。しかも、あまり一般的な朝鮮 名ではないので、かなり難解なヒントだ。私の写真を見て、日本人の多くが「これがどうして日本の女性たち?」と違和感を覚えるだろう。また、同族からは 「日本人に帰化したの?」と驚かれるだろう。しかし、私は日本に生まれ育った朝鮮人で、ずっと日本で暮らしている女なのだ。--
日本で暮らしている女性とはどんな人がいるのだろうか?日本社会のメンバーとは誰なのか?「日本の女」に在日朝鮮人、外国人は含まない日常が確かに存在する。この「日本の女性たち」という単純でないタイトルが、いろんな問題を引っ張りだしてくれる。--
ローリー・エディソンの「日本の女性たち」は、その中に含まれない日常的な確認を問い直す。一世紀近く隣に暮らし続ける「在日」や、その他の女性た ちを無視する社会に生きていることを見る者に気づかせるのだ。写真を撮る方と撮られる方での共同作業によって、社会変革への一石を投じる。私にもそんな表 現活動が出来るのではないだろうか?亡くなった祖母や母の物語を聞こうともしなかった私は今頃、彼女たちの謎を明らかにしようとしている。「在日」女性と しての人生はどうだったのか?「悲惨」「不遇」という言葉だけでは言い尽くせない、彼女たちの生き方をなぞってみたい。そうすることで、私自身が何者かを 再確認したいのだ。//


"일본에있는 존재감이있는 여성을 소개해 달라"는 로리 씨의 요구에, "나 좋아?"라고 모델을 맡았다. 교토 덩굴 진주 원에서 5 시간에 걸쳐 촬영했다지만, 중간에 통역 친구도 없어져, 그야말로 감각만으로 촬영이 진행됐다. 처음에 그녀에게서 지금까지의 작품에 대한 설명과 저에게 질문 등 서로 알게되고 의문을 내고 서로이라는 프로세스를 단시간이지만, 제대로했다. 물론 작품이 나오는 경우에는 그 때마다 나에게 확인한다는 약속도 포함한다. 가을의 교토는 좋고, 자기 방에서의 촬영보다 기분이 개방되었다. 그러나 자연스럽게 웃는 미소는 할 수 없다. "자연"이라는 게 이렇게 어려울 것인가라고 호토호토 곤란했다. 로리 씨의 격려와 끈기에 끌려 촬영이 드디어 종료하고 안심 한 마지막 "가장 자신 다운 포즈 '라는 사진이 작품이있다. 반년 후 사진을보고 "야라레타!"라는 느낌이었다. 또한 곧게 뻗은 굵은 대나무는 "당신의 이미지에 피타 습니"고 죽림 속에있는 나의 작품도한데있다

유대인의 로리 씨는 여러 공통점이있다. 재일 조선인의 아버지 세는 2 세, 어머니로부터 계산하면 3 세의 나는 아무 말도되어야 조선인이라고는 모른다. 전쟁과 민족 제거하여 롤리 씨의 아버지도 아버지도 조국을 떠났다. 그리고 많은 사람 속에 삼켜 항상 신경을 두 르게하고 살아왔다. 그런 그녀와의 대화는 첫 대면이라고는 생각되지 않을만큼 가까이에서 느껴졌다.

로리 씨는 일본에 오기 전에 "일본에는 다양성이 없다"고 말했지만 실제로는 훌륭한 다양한 것이 많이 있었다고한다. 그것은 로리 씨에게 우리를 소개 한 친구가 다양성을 가진 사람 이었기 때문이다. "일본 여성들 '이라는 제목에서 연상되는 것은 일본 국적 보유자로 외형이 일본인에 다른 안된다. 이번 작품은 설명이 없으면이 사람이 도대체 누구인지 알 수 없다. 특히 내 사진은 이름 만이 유일한 단서가되고있다. 게다가 너무 일반적인 조선 이름이 아니기 때문에 다소 애매한 힌트이다. 내 사진을보고, 일본인의 대부분이 "이것이 왜 일본 여성들?」라고 위화감을 기억 것이다. 또한 동족에서 "일본에 귀화 한?"라고 놀랄 것이다. 그러나 나는 일본에서 태어나 자란 조선인 계속 일본에서 살고있는 여자 인 것이다. 

- 일본에서 살고있는 여성은 어떤 사람이 있을까? 일본 사회의 구성원은 누구인가? "일본의 여자 '에 재일 조선인 외국인은 포함하지 않는 일상이 분명히 존재한다. 이 "일본 여성들"이라는 단순하지 않은 제목이 여러가지 문제를 끌어 내고 준다. 

- 로리 에디슨의 "일본 여성들"은 그 안에 포함되지 않는 일상적인 확인을 되묻는다. 한 세기 가까이 옆에 계속 살기 '재일'과 다른 여성 기 치오 무시하는 사회에 살고있는 것을 보는 사람에게 각성하는 것이다. 사진을 찍는 사람과 찍히는 사람의 공동 작업을 통해 사회 변혁에 일석을 투입. 나에게도 그런 표 현 활동을 할 수있는 것이 아닐까? 돌아가신 할머니와 어머니의 이야기를 들으려고도하지 않았다 나는 지금 쯤 그녀들의 비밀을 밝히려하고있다. '재일'여성으로서의 삶이 어떠합니까? "불행" "불우한"라는 말만으로는 표현할 수없는 그녀들의 삶을 되짚어보고 싶다. 그렇게함으로써 내 자신이 누군가를 다시 확인하고 싶은 것이다.