2022/01/10

Sulak Sivaraksa. 4

 

====

CHAPTER 20 Seeking Alternatives

On December 8, 1995, I received the Right Livelihood Award in the Swedish Parliament. The award committee cited the judgment from my recent acquittal in which the court stated, "He warned the students not to live a luxurious, consumer lifestyle, not to worship being rich, not to admire people in power, and to be concerned about justice and righteousness." The Right Livelihood Award is widely considered the alternative Nobel Prize (an award I'd been twice nominated for but didn't win). I felt very privileged to receive the Right Livelihood Award on the same day the Japanese Buddhists celebrate the Buddha's enlightenment. In fact, "right livelihood" is itself a Buddhist term meaning a livelihood that is nonexploitative to oneself or others. A group of four Buddhist monks chanted in Pali at the ceremony—probably the first time there was Buddhist chanting in any Western parliament.

Alternatives to Consumerism

This award reflects my recent concern for developing an alternative to consumerism—the new, demonic religion. It reduces life to only one purpose—to acquire money in order to consume, to put it very crudely. This new religion is very powerful. Even the churches and temples are building more and larger buildings, and the monks are leading a more luxurious lifestyle. The media teaches people to be aggressive, offering violence, crime, and sex. People learn to look down on their own family and cultural heritage. We are urged to consume more, and this leads to the destruction of the environment.

My main work has always involved alternative development because I believe the present model of development is wrong. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the rich do not even become happier. I have come to see that alternative development will not work

207

200 I LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT SEEKING ALTERNATIVES 1209

unless we tackle this core of consumerism. Of course, we cannot match their promoters with money or technology. But they dont have spiritual depth. That's why I created a project on Buddhist, Christian, and Muslim alternatives to consumerism. I feel that these three leading world religions should collaborate to wrestle with this issue.

I planned the Alternatives to Consumerism project ten years ago with Chandra Muzaffar, Uthai Dulyakasem Chaiwat Satha-anand, David Chappell, and George Willoughby. It was not funded back then, but just like anything I start, I kept pushing for it all these years. A small Swiss and French group called Foundation for the Progress of Humanity agreed to support us as part of their commitment to environmental balance and social justice. The Catholic Comité Contre la Famine et pour le Développement, also supports us, and we have the collaboration of quite a number of friends from the three religious traditions. The project tells the stories of simple, self-reliant, spiritual, and harmonious lifestyles that confront consumerism.

We bring people together in Asia, Europe, and America. It is a more or less practical forum to meet people. In 1997 we held a big "Alternatives to Consumerism" conference. We invited all kinds of people—Native, African, and European Americans; Europeans; Africans; and Asians. The whole gathering was about spiritual reflections. We need spiritual force for social justice and environmental balance. There are many people around the world seeking something beyond the usual development model or the usual intellectual approach. We are seeking something that reaches deep down into our common roots. We all need the earth, the water, the clouds, the sun. If our organizations can learn something spiritual, we will cultivate more love and less hatred. In fact, I think the world should concentrate on peace and the spiritual dimension of life throughout the next century. Although we have some differences, we can work with each other to do something for the benefit of all beings.

We have also been working on alternative media for the past few years, since the mainstream press and media promote violence, greed, and lust. Our friends Chee and Sok Nai from Malaysia are producing alternative images. The so-called primitive people in India; Christian communities such as L'Arche in France; and the Muslim Baan Krua in Bangkok and Luang Pho Nan in Northeast Siam are all struggling within their own religious traditions against consumerism, although they don't call it that. We hope to televise some of these struggles.

The Spirit in Education Movement (SEM)

At home in Siam I recently began the SEM. The idea for SEM arose out of the need to counter a mainstream education that promotes a compartmentalized, "head" learning. Education has become a means to a certificate or a job. It doesn't matter whether that job is a right livelihood or a wrong one. The only thing that matters is how much money you make. Education has lost its ethical dimension. SEM is based on Buddhist principles, encouraging teachers and students to learn from each other and the environment. We work to develop and strengthen meditation practices and artistic creativity. We must all find our inner strength and learn who we are in order to cultivate inner peace. Education, for us, is building friendships and having time for more than intellectual pursuits.

We try to integrate alternative politics and alternatives to consumerism into our courses. Our first course, Alternative Development from a Buddhist Perspective, ran for three weeks. It was open to everyone and was very successful. We had professors from Canada, Germany, and India, and maechi (nuns) and monks with almost no education. They all loved it. We do not limit ourselves to Thais and Buddhists. We have Quakers, Mennonites, and Maryknoll priests. We run courses for Cambodians, Sri Lankans, and Bangladeshis. We recently trained thirty Baptists from Burma. Most of our SEM courses are very small. They are intensive and allow deeper discussion. The subjects are all interrelated and non-compartmentalized. We do not address the usual issues taken up by academic institutions. Our courses always include meditation practice. We try to link the heart and the head.

We are developing dialogues with existing educational institutions and alternative thinkers and educators who believe in inner spirit and environmental balance. Some of these have included The Naropa Institute in America, Schumacher College in England, and the Institute of Total Revolution in India. I often teach at these places, and their teachers and students come to us. We hope to link with institutes in Japan and Taiwan. Mainstream educational institutions

10 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

are also linking with us. They have asked us to teach courses for them. Some business groups have asked us to run courses on conflict resolution because they feel they lose too much time on infighting.

As part of our work, we have revived the Pajarayasara magazine started by Bibhob Dhongchai over twenty years ago. He started it to give voice to new ideas in education, but we focus now not only on alternative education but alternative economics, politics, and environmental issues. We have a related project focusing on alternative politics. The prevailing politics promotes hatred and violence. Most political regimes around the world, especially in Asia, are a heritage of the colonial past. I'm looking for alternatives. We Buddhists are working with like-minded people from different cultures and religions. Luckily, there are a lot of people thinking in these terms—Maurice Ash in England, Chandra Muzzafar in Malaysia, Helena Norberg-Hodge in Ladakh, Abdulrahman Wahid of Indonesia, Bishop Labayan and Walden Bello from the Philippines, and Satish Kumar of India, now living in England.

Lately we have been fighting the gas pipeline coming from Burma into my country: As the local people become aware, they want to fight for their own safety: Then, they want to fight to preserve the forest for their children and grandchildren. Finally, they realize that they are fighting not only for the local people in Kanchanaburi but for the entire country: the region, and even the world. They are concerned about the ethnic Burmese who have been deprived of basic human rights and forced to work without pay, for the villages that have been uprooted, and for child laborers. It's a fight for human dignity all over the world.

I only play a small part because ultimately people have to empower themselves. Perhaps I can help them by reminding them not to hate the oppressors. I speak with fellow Christians and Muslims, as well as Buddhists. I don't have the ability or network to destroy consumerism, globalization, the World Bank, the World Trade Organization, or the International Monetary Fund. But if these things don't change to serve the people, they will destroy themselves. They have no moral legitimacy but only greed to drive them, and this will be their downfall. Meanwhile, I hope that the small people, with alternatives, can survive.

CH21 Reflections

These memoirs are being published for my sixty-fifth birthday. Sixty-five is old by Asian standards, where you're an old man by the age of sixty. The average life expectancy in Siam is fifty-seven for men. I feel I have lived eight surplus years already.

When I reflect on my life and my achievements, I see that I have managed to make many good friends. The Buddha said, "Good friends are the whole of the holy life." Good friends become your other self. They help you, encourage you, and are critical of you. For me, encountering new people and strengthening old friendships has been a wonderful part of life. I have many good friends who, like me, are critical of the mainstream, especially friends in the West. More people misunderstand me in my own country because I am a challenge to them, but I am gaining more Thai friends among the younger people.

Some people might ask if I am not wasting my time attending so many meetings and talking with so many people. We waste a lot of fuel flying to and from conferences. We eat junk food. Sometimes we use too much paper, wasting the trees. But I want to expand my work to include more people who think alternatively: We must come together to speak out. The more you talk with people in power, the more chance that they will eventually listen. Eventually they will be fair. We can make good friends and listen to each other. When I go to talk with the Archbishop of Canterbury or the president of the World Bank, I don't think they can change things overnight. But it is always good to talk. It is a sign that they are ready to listen. That kind of exchange is essential. Sometimes you can change things for the better. That is why I develop and maintain my international connections.

One of my contributions to this process is that I can bring the best from the various traditions. I recognize that my people are not really just the Thais. My ancestors came from China. We are in debt to

212 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT REFLECTIONS 1213

the Indians and to the Sri Lankans for our Buddhism. I try to look profoundly into my own cultures with all their positive and negative elements and to bring them into the modern world. My aspiration is to help my people discover their roots—our spiritual and cultural heritage. Our most fundamental starting place for this project is the breath. There is no denying that this is one thing we all share. If we can begin here, many beautiful things will grow. With breathing, 1 feel we can even overcome consumerism. "I breathe therefore I am" means that everyone is important, not only human beings but animals, trees, rivers, the land.

In the Buddhist tradition, development toward happiness is an important aspect. We develop towards bringing our body and mind into harmony with our heart, with our environment, with society. This is not development at the expense of the environment or of the poor. It means development in a useful fashion. This past July we had an economic crisis, and the value of our currency dropped drastically. Many people were unhappy. They didn't realize it is all an hallucination. Even the dollar might become scratch paper within a few decades. So why worry? Our ancestors existed on fish, rice, water, the fields, and the trees. These are our roots. We should look to the poor, to the people who are self-reliant. Why concentrate on money?

The West cut off its roots the year that Columbus claimed to have discovered America. Of course, people had already been there for hundreds of years, living with their own local wisdom. But when the West claimed superiority, they began to look forward without ever looking back I am very critical of the mainstream Western approach—technology, capitalism, consumerism. Even so, I learned a great deal from my Western education. I am indebted to writers of Western literature for their social commitment and analysis of society. My tradition alone would have made me very conservative, even as an engaged Buddhist. English writers really helped me to become concerned about the poor. While our Buddhist roots are very important, these roots must spring into contemporary society. In much of our forest tradition in this country, there are wonderful monks. However, they have no idea about social justice. They don't know that the forests are being destroyed. I think the West has that awareness of social justice.

But ultimately, for me, Buddhism has always come first. We Buddhists must not only become aware of unjust social structures. We must try to eliminate or overcome them with awareness and nonviolence. We must be mindful. We must see suffering with understanding, and with that understanding, perhaps we can be skillful in doing something. Just this past New Year's Eve several of us were on our way to a party at my in-laws' house. On the way, the car spun out of control and went straight into a ditch. Fortunately, no one was hurt. As we were waiting for a truck to come haul our car out, a neighbor came out of her house and told us this is called "death corner." The tow truck driver was amazed that no one was hurt and wanted to know if I had a special amulet. I said, "Yes, I have the Buddha. The Buddha kept me alive. If you know the Buddha, you have mindfulness, you have peace." This is the message I am always sharing with others. I guess it's not time for me to stop yet.

APPENDIX

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

39

Accepta1nce Speech for the Right LivelihoodAward

December 8, 1995

I feel very privileged to be here at the Swedish Parliament to receive the Right Livelihood Award—especially today. Everyone knows that the awards are widely considered the Alternative Nobel Prizes.

What everyone may not know is that December 8, according to some traditions, is Buddha's enlightenment day—the day an ordinary human

being awoke from attachment to greed, hatred, and delusion to become fully enlightened and compassionate. Selfishness was transformed into selflessness and intellectual arrogance into a real understanding of the self and the world—the kind of real understanding necessarily accompanied by loving kindness toward all sentient beings.

Right Livelihood itself is a Buddhist term, a key element in the Noble Eightfold Path, or Middle Way, the Buddha taught as a way

for all of us to transcend greed, hatred, and delusion—or at least to

lessen them. The stages on the Path are Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right

Mindfulness, and Right Concentration. Right Livelihood means a

livelihood which is nonexploitative to the self or others, and, as a Buddhist, I am happy to be recognized as one who tries to lead this

kind of life. In my own country I am usually known as a troublemaker or rabble-rouser, one who challenges the economic and technological "development" destined to make Siam the fifth "Tiger" among the newly industrialized countries modeled after Japan. This "Gang of Four" already includes Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

This model of development has no ethical or spiritual dimension, and its technological advances involve massive ecological devastation

while its economic progress widens the abyss between rich and poor, even while subjecting whole populations to the voraciousness of the

barely masked greed called consumerism. There are no human rights within it, especially economic, social, and development human rights, even as it sometimes pays lip service to civil and political freedoms. This model of development is called "progress," which comes from the Latin root meaning madness. Since I want to be sane and to live in a saner world, I have spent my life attempting to offer alternatives, not only in my country but throughout Asia and beyond. To paraphrase Shumacher, my efforts are "small" but attempt to be "beautiful."

The Thai authorities do not always find my criticism of the status quo beautiful, however, especially when we have military coups, which we do quite often in my country. The powers that be become very angry with me; sometimes they burn my books, and sometimes I am forced into exile lest they put me in jail. I have been persona non grata with the Thai authorities since 1967, and in 1976 the Thai military junta wanted to arrest or perhaps kill me. Fortunately, I was in England at the time, so they only drove my business into bankruptcy. Many of my contemporaries and students were murdered, maimed, or imprisoned. The lucky ones managed to flee abroad. I remained abroad for two years. I wish to thank the Swedish government and people who were most generous to Thai refugees. The Swedish Ambassador in Bangkok took personal risks to help Thai intellectuals reach Sweden, and then-Prime Minister Olaf Palme was friendly and helpful to many of us.

In 1991 my open criticism of the military junta again drove me into exile. Unofficially the junta tried to kill me; officially they charged me with lèse-majesté, an extremely serious crime in Siam with a maximum penalty of 15 years. I was fortunate in that the German Ambassador in Bangkok helped protect me. When I was able to escape abroad, my first destination was, of course, Sweden. My Swedish friends did not disappoint me. We have now formed a Thai Studies Association among my Thai friends in Sweden and elsewhere in order to help people within Siam work for social justice and social welfare. Friends provided me with hospitality and arranged teaching work in Europe, North America, and Japan. Among other positions, I was a Distinguished Visiting Professor at the University of Hawaii and received the Naropa Institute Founder's Award, as well as giving cours-

38

240     LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

es there. My alma mater, the University of Wales, Lampeter, also provided me with an honorary fellowship. Both International PEN Centres in London and Toronto elected me their honorary member. Not only did the Thai PEN Centre ignore me, ten years ago its former president was the instigator to bring the case of lèse-majesté against me.

I remained in exile for fourteen months this time before being able to return to face court hearings on the charges oflèse-majesté. Compared with my friends from Indonesia, Burma, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, and elsewhere, this is very light. Yet exile can be miserable; only friendship, hope, forgiveness, and the practice of mindful deep breathing helped me to keep my head above water. I must admit that when I see senseless killing and human rights abuse, I sometimes become angry. But Thich Nhat Hanh, my Vietnamese Buddhist teacher, taught me to become aware of anger in order to surround it with mindfulness. He says that anger is like a closed flower which will bloom when the sunlight penetrates it deeply. If you keep breathing mindfully, shining compassion and understanding upon it, your practice will penetrate the anger, and you will look into its depths and see its root. When this happens, the anger cannot resist. The flower will bloom and show its heart to the sun. The same is true of greed, lust, and delusion.

With this mindful practice of breathing, I learned not to hate the

military junta, nor the corrupt politicians, nor even the executives in the multinational corporations. I became more aware of the unjust social, political, and economic structures as the source of injustice and violence. The rich and powerful benefit economically and legally from the system, but they are also trapped by it, and neither they nor their

families are made happy.

My court case on the lèse-majesté charges lasted almost four years, during which time many friends and organizations assisted. They

included Amnesty International (London); the International

Commission of Jurists (Geneva) and the Human Rights Desk of Bread for the World (Stuttgart), among many others. My attorneys

were wonderful, fighting the case patiently, courteously, and courageously; and my colleagues gave me much encouragement. My wife has always been and continues to remain a tremendous support to me.

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH 41

I was acquitted on the charges oflèse-majesté, which is very unusual. My acquittal made me proud of our judiciary system, making me believe that our progressive judges no longer blindly follow oppressive laws, many of them decrees of the military junta, but now care more for justice and mercy. The judges went so far as to praise me in court stating, which is unprecedented within living memory, that, "It is clear that the defendant aimed at teaching the students to be conscious of the essence of democracy. He warned the students not to live a luxurious, consumer lifestyle, not to worship being rich, not to admire people in power, and to be concerned about justice and righteousness." I was pleased when the Right Livelihood Award Committee cited this part of the judgment and encouraged me to go forward with new projects.

My latest projects concern interfaith Alternatives to Consumerism and the Spirit in Education Movement (SEM). The Foundation for the Progress of Humanity (France, Switzerland) has helped initiate the first project which calls for Buddhists, Christians, and Muslims to work together in developing awareness of the problems of consumerism and demonstrating viable alternative ways of living. The second project, SEM, has already begun with assistance from the Sharpham Trust (England) and the Heinrich Boll Foundation (Germany). We have already given courses and will initiate SEM formally with a public event on December 12, with the Head of Shumacher College (England) as keynote speaker. I hope SEM will provide an alternative to prevailing educational trends which concentrate on the head rather than the heart and reward cleverness without regard to ethics. The Naropa Institute (Boulder, Colorado) already attempts to introduce engaged Buddhism as part of its curriculum, that is, to teach its students how to confront suffering and be mindful of ways of overcoming it nonviolently both at the personal and the social, economic, and other structural levels. The Institute ofTotal Revolution (Vecchi, Gujarat, India) also trains in a Gandhian method of education.

At SEM we try to develop friendship in the Buddhist sense of kalayanamitra, among students and teachers—to learn from each other and from the environment; to develop meditation practice and artistic creativity; to understand and respect indigenous cultures; to

242     LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

plant seeds of peace within ourselves and our world; to develop beauty, goodness, and critical self-awareness in order to become transformed personally. This, in turn, will lead us to care less for ourselves and more for others; to combine understanding and compassion; to work for social justice and ecological balance; and to develop Right Livelihood as part of our Buddhist practice.

SEM participants will not avoid contact with suffering or become separate from our awareness of suffering in the world but will find

ways to alleviate suffering wherever it is found. Above all, they will try to understand the ways in which prevailing economic, social, and political systems contribute to suffering, to violence, and to the culture of violence that surrounds us, in order to provide a countervailing force of nonviolence, compassion, and understanding.

At the deepest level, the causes of suffering are always greed, hatred, and delusion. At the more immediate level, these causes have become

embodied in consumerism, militarism, compartmentalization of thought and practice (e.g., the use of such strategies as "social engineering"), and the separation of efforts to resolve social problems from the process of personal transformation.

In SEM we hope to understand that the knowledge we presently possess is not changeless so that we can learn and practice nonat-

tachment to views, to become open to receive the truth that resides in life and not simply in conceptual knowledge. I hope SEM participants will be able to learn throughout their entire lives and to observe the reality of the world and within ourselves at all times.

In order to do this, and not to lose ourselves in dispersion in our surroundings, we need to practice mindfulness, especially the breath-

ing which brings us back to what is happening in the present moment—with what is wondrous, refreshing, and healing both within and around us. We hope to continually plant seeds of joy, peace, and understanding in ourselves in order to facilitate the ongoing work of transformation in the depths of our consciousness.

I am very grateful to be in this wonderful company, to be accepting this Right Livelihood Award, and to be able to share with you

some of my work, my hopes, and my dreams. I welcome all participation in our projects, especially in the new work on Alternatives to Consumerism and in the Spirit in Education Movement. It would

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH 1243

be wonderful to welcome any of you as teachers and/or students in our SEM courses.

Before I thank you all, both for this wonderful award and for your interest in our work and projects, may I ask the four Buddhist monks—constituting the Sangha—from Burma, Siam, England, and Germany,

to chant words of the Buddha for peace and happiness of all sentient beings.

Sulak Sivaraksa Stockholm, Sweden

December 8, 1995