2022/01/10

Sulak Sivaraksa. 2

 

 

Ch8 Forging Relations         

                               

           It was the 1960s. My country was being used as a base for doing                    

           great harm in the name of anticommunism. But I came from a mid-                

           dle-class background and could afford to keep my mouth shut and be happy while other people were suffering. In fact, British Quakers in my country had wanted me to demonstrate against the American bases, but when I consulted my Buddhist advisor, the English monk Pannavaddho, he said, "Sulak, if you take Buddhism seriously, don't get involved with these people. We Buddhists should calm ourselves." So I didn't get involved. But my Buddha-nature eventually made me feel that I must do something. Communists are also human beings. I realized that for Buddhists simply to keep themselves at peace within was not sufficient.                  

           American Friends Service Committee                   

           Through meetings hosted by the American Friends Service Committee (AFsc), I became exposed to the political issues. I got involved with the AFSC through Russell Johnson, who was running their South Asian office in India. Their idea was to arrange seminars and workshops to raise people's consciousness about peace and social justice issues in order to cooperate internationally. He himself was not a Quaker but an outspoken Christian minister from New England—very pro-Mao Tse-tung. The East Asian office was run by Dewitt Barnett, a prominent Quaker, the child of missionaries to China. He had a small office in Tokyo but no knowledge of Southeast Asia. His first job in our region was to call a meeting in the Philippines. It took place in 1966, and I was the new man from Siam.                   

           The purpose of the seminar was regional collaboration. We met in Manila but stayed in the countryside at the headquarters of the Philippine Rural Reconstruction Movement (PRRM). (The Thai Rural                   

                                93

                               

94 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT   FORGING RELATIONS 95

Reconstruction Movement was later modeled after this group.) The governor of the province was Benigno Aquino. He came to talk to us, and I found that the Philippine and Thai systems were entirely different. A Thai governor behaves very properly and speaks carefully but without much substance. He has to wear a necktie and jacket or a uniform like Western colonial administrators in our neighboring countries. By contrast, Mr. Aquino was very American and very informal. He would challenge the presenters and wore just a shirt. He and another man we met both said they aspired to become president. I was quite surprised. "Good lord, I have met two persons aspiring to become president!" In our country nobody aspired to become prime minister----or if someone did, one kept one's mouth shut.

Although this was not my first time in the Philippines, it was the first time I went to the rural areas and really got to meet the Filipino people. Before the war, the Philippines was a model for democracy and higher education, a kind of window display for American activity in Asia. The Americans treated their former colony very well. We used to send our sons to be educated in the Philippines if we could not afford to send them to Europe or America. But by the time I went there in the middle sixties I was shocked. I went to Forbes Park where the superrich live. They had their own guards on big estates, their own islands, their own troops, their own private yachts. And then there were the slums. The gap between the rich and the poor was so great. My main fear was that my country would follow that model. At that time we had no big gap between the rich and the poor, and not even the king had a private yacht. We had no absentee landlords. Unfortunately, within thirty years we have become just like the Philippines.

The AFSC tended to go out of their way to develop leaders from various walks of life through their seminars or youth training camps. Many of the people who attended the meetings eventually became recognized leaders in their own countries. I met quite a few future leaders from Siam and other countries at this meeting. I also met former President Magapagal at his official residence, the Malaganyang.

After our meeting in the Philippines, the AFSC organized another meeting in Japan. It was at this meeting that I became seriously committed regarding the Vietnam War. I was already working to pre serve our culture and environment—to keep the American troops from destroying our culture and creating more prostitution—but I had not been very aware of the political issues because I tried to keep myself from getting involved in politics. Not any longer.

The SoutheastAsian Intellectual Exchange Program

Japan was now a nouveau riche country. They wanted to show off their riches and establish a relationship with other countries, including Southeast Asia. The International House ofJapan was formed to promote internationalism and end their insularity, which America felt had been a factor in the Second World War. A year after the AFSC meeting on Vietnam, International House invited me to Japan as a cultural representative for their Southeast Asian Intellectual Exchange Program. International House had a good library on Japanese culture and history for foreign visitors, as well as accommodations and wonderful Japanese gardens in the heart of Tokyo. I stayed in Japan for a month. I wanted to know about Japanese Buddhism, so I was taken to Mt. Koya, the sacred place of the Shingon sect. I also stayed at a Zen temple. It was interesting culturally, although I was disappointed not to meet a practicing Zen master.

During my stay at International House, the Quakers were holding their own meetings on China. They didn't invite me since I knew nothing about China, but I invited myself. I found out about the situation in China. Although we didn't meet any Chinese, we talked with people who had just come back from China. They gave us firsthand reports. It was the height of the Cultural Revolution. At that time I was publishing the Social Science Review, so when I got back to Siam, I wrote an article arguing that we must recognize China. We should not simply follow the Americans. Of course, we should keep China—and the Americans—at arm's length. This was very controversial because we could not even import shirts, let alone books, from China. Many of those who went to China in the fifties had been arrested and were still in jail. People said I was very brave to write what I did because I could have been put in jail for it even though I was known as a royalist and anticommunist.

On my way home from Japan, I stopped in Hong Kong for the International Press Institute (ipi) meeting. I had been elected a mem-

96

LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

FORGING RELATIONS 97

her. The IPI, headquartered in Zurich, was supposed to be the guiding light of the free world, promoting freedom of speech and freedom of the press. They wanted to help the Thai people by training our journalists to present news in depth and commit themselves to freedom and liberty. They felt we needed an Asian who wrote well and had worked his way up from nowhere, so in 1965, they sent us Victor Anant, an Indian. He had gone to London as a- boy and worked his way up from porter at the British Railways to office boy in Fleet Street and later columnist with the Daily Telegraph. When Anant came to Bangkok, he asked me to be his interpreter, and through him I came to know many more journalists.

In those days, to be elected a member of the IPI was very prestigious. Many Thai journalists were jealous of me because in their eyes I was not even a journalist; I was only a journal editor. I was elected partly because my magazine stood for what the international press stood for— freedom of expression. Most of the Thai newspapers of that time simply went along with the government, which was understandable because we had a dictatorship.

I wrote a book on my trip to Japan named after the Japanese classic, A Pillow Book. I continued working with the International House of Japan and the Quakers. In fact, many Japanese working against the Vietnam War eventually became my friends. They worked on various peace projects and later protested Japan's exportation of toxic waste to our part of the world. They also worked against the building of Narita Airport and to preserve the tram in Kyoto. I often joined them. I even bought land symbolically. Somçof my friends asked, "Why do you interfere with other countries?" I said, "Some issues are universal. Trams should be preserved everywhere."

Cultural Relations for the Future

At the meeting in Japan in 1970, I met a young assistant in the AFSC named Brewster Grace. He came from a distinguished Quaker family in Philadelphia. He was selected to open a new AFSC office in Singapore. He consulted me about having seminars in my country and in other countries in Southeast Asia. We became good friends and were quite active. He was also selected to attend a meeting in New York called "Cultural Relations for the Future," funded by the

Edward Hazen Foundation. Paul Braisted of the Foundation felt that since the Americans had been all over the world educating people to develop according to the American model, it should be a two-way street. Americans should be educated by others.

A very important man at that meeting was Soedjatmoko, then the Indonesian ambassador to the U.S. He was one of the best Southeast Asian intellectuals I had come across. Soedjatmoko said, "You Americans have wonderful ideas, but you always think of America as being at the center. Why don't you think globally? Why don't you let other people think for themselves? You have the money. Set up five or six committees in different parts of the world. Ask them to meet among themselves and find out what they would like to do in their own regions, and then vis-a-vis the Americans, the Europeans, and other regions." His idea was adopted, and they set up six committees: in Southeast Asia, India, Japan, the Middle East, the U.S., and Africa. Brewster Grace represented Southeast Asia, and he proposed my name to lead the committee. Although I was fairly unknown at the time, I became chairman of the Southeast Asian study group on Cultural Relations for the Future.

With the Cultural Relations for the Future committee, I could now conduct my own seminars. Our first meeting was in Singapore in 1970- I felt that the Southeast Asian group must not be limited to the countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the successor to SEATO—Siam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, and later Brunei. I said we needed to try to bring in Laos, Burma, Cambodia, and Vietnam. (Later, Laos, Burma, and Vietnam joined ASEAN.) I managed to get some Vietnamese, and I went to Phnom Penh to get a former minister whom I had met in Manila. The idea was first of all to get to know each other within our region. We would try to understand our own cultural identity and think about our cultural relations. Nobody else was interested in these things. The military was interested only in power, and businesses only in money. Secondly, we wanted to understand our relationships vis-a-vis the other groups. We met and made an agenda for the next two years, including what we ought to learn from each other and where and when our next meeting would be.

The Hazen Foundation gave me a small amount of money to tray-

88 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

FORGING RELATIONS

99

el around that part of the world in the Quaker manner—no per diem, only airfare and expenses. We met every nine months in a different place. We had local hosts to look after us. At the end of two years, all the chairmen of the six groups met at the Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio, Italy, to compare notes and talk about what we should do in the future. Out of these meetings we produced two books. One had the very ambitious title Reconstituting Human Society. This was published by the Hazen Foundation and distributed free of charge to U.S. organizations and various foundations. Later on, we produced Questioning Development in SoutheastAsia. As far as I was concerned, it had been wonderful to get to know my region of the world. I now had many good friends from each country. I got to know all sorts of people involved in alternative development and alternative education with many different religious and cultural backgrounds. With some I still keep in touch.

After a few years, the foundation money ran out. The study group wanted to stay together and carry on even though the Americans would no longer support us. We decided we had to link with another study group and contacted the Japanese. The chairman's assistant, Mr. Yoshiyuki Tsurumi at the International House ofJapan, was my good friend. He secured some money from the International House to keep us going. The Southeast Asian group and the Japanese group kept meeting every year. I did not want to be the perpetual chairman, so I asked my friend William Lim from Singapore to succeed me. He is a well-known architect and intellectual in Singapore. He was succeeded by Randy David, a young, very articulate Filipino who ran the Third World Study Center at the University of the Philippines. Unfortunately, he got very involved in other work, and the study group is now more or less defunct. I feel sorry about this; however, everything that grows will eventually die.

The PacficAshram

My role in Southeast Asia did not end with the Cultural Relations for the Future study group. Brewster Grace, after leaving the AFSC, became the Southeast Asian representative of the American University Field Staff (AUFS). AUFS is a consortium of American universities interested in worldwide exchange. He made arrangements for stu-

dents who wanted to study in the region. His predecessor in the AUFS felt that when American students came to Asia, they should also study the spiritual tradition. When Brewster took over, he was in charge of implementing these ideas.

A meeting was called by the AUFS in Singapore. The upshot of the meeting was that the group would get a small sum of money from

the Danforth Foundation in the U.S. to collaborate with the AUFS to create what they called a "Pacific Ashram." The idea was to experiment with young people living together for three to four weeks to share spiritual traditions. If they were to be our future leaders, they should get to know each other beyond a purely intellectual encounter. Whereas our Cultural Relations for the Future was more or less a forum for intellectuals in their late thirties and forties who were already fairly well-known in their countries, this program was for youth under thirty. I was just giving up the chairmanship of the Southeast Asian study group on Cultural Relations for the Future and was asked to become the secretary of this project. There was no pay involved, but AUFS would take care of all my travel expenses. I accepted the challenge. It was 1973.

Being Thai, I did not want to hold the first Pacific Ashram in my own country. We found a beautiful site at Kuala Dungun on the east coast of Malaysia. At that time there were no tourists, and it was quite undeveloped. We used a small hotel—not ideal for our ashram—but there were also bungalows and campsites. We were there for three weeks in 1974. As chairman of Cultural Relations for the Future for the last four years, I had been exposed to a lot of people. We chose our participants mostly through personal contacts. These budding leaders had been recommended to me by their professors and interviewers. My job was as a kind of guru-in-residence, and Brewster was there as the coordinator-administrator. There were quite a number of leaders from all over Southeast Asia as well as some Japanese and Americans. I remember one Filipino and one Thai quarreled like mad.

We tried to combine everything, both American and Asian traditions, and not be exclusively Buddhist. We taught yoga and whatever else they wanted. Meditation was not compulsory, and people could write or work on other things. I myself translated Thomas

100 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

Merton's book on Chuang Tzu. It took me three weeks, and it became one of my bestsellers.

I thought the second Pacific Ashram should be in my own country. We held it in Chiang Mai at a beautiful monastery halfway up a mountain. This was more to my liking. I wanted to make thgath-ering more spiritual. Mr. Karuna Kusalasaya was the guru-in-residence. He had a deep understanding of Indian culture, he knew yoga and Buddhism, and he was a very humble man. We invited the Buddhist Thich Nhat Hanh and Swami Aganivesh from the Hindu tradition. We also invited Bhikkhu P. A. Payutto and Bob Bobilin, chair of the Department of Religion at the University of Hawaii. These four acted as senior advisors. Bob later wrote an article entitled, "Three Men on a Mountain," a very moving account of the one Hindu and two Buddhist monks at our meeting. We had a wonderful three weeks together. That was in 1975.

The third gathering was held in Japan. Unfortunately, it lasted only ten days. I didn't go. I felt that this moving ashram had no roots and wanted a more permanent ashram. I tried to get more money from the International House of Japan, but the director wanted to set up a kind of International House of Siam instead of an ashram. He put me in contact with one of his protégés, Dr. Saburo Okita, who later become Foreign Minister. Dr. Okita agreed to help me with some money. From there I went on to speak at the Smithsonian Institute and visit the Aspen Institute, a kind of American ashram. Unfortunately, my idea for an ashram had to be put on hold. The 1976 coup took place when I was on my way home.

CH9 Clashes

My work at this time generated its share of conflicts. In fact, one episode involved the king himself. It began when some of my

academic colleagues and friends decided that the Social Science Association wasn't fulfilling its function by producing enough textbooks. They claimed that I was spending most of my time running the magazine when the Social Science Association was really supposed to be a university press—that I only published what I wanted, instead of representing the whole academic world. Of course, there may have been some truth in this. In fact, I argued that a university press shouldn't produce textbooks anyhow. So they went to the Rockefeller Foundation asking for money to form a rival organization, the Social Sciences and Humanities Project.

The Rockefeller Foundation representative in Bangkok was Bill Bradley, whose great-grandfather had been one of the first American missionaries to Siam. He had also been a famous doctor who introduced Western medicine to Siam, along with printing, publishing, and newspapers. Bill Bradley said, "That's a wonderful idea. If you people want to start something, the Rockefeller Foundation will help you, but none of you academics knows anything about publishing. If you want to start this new venture, you must have Sulak involved. With all his faults, he knows about publishing." They were very angry, but they had no choice. They had to take me. They also asked Dr. Puey Ungphakorn, who was a very honest man, an able technocrat, and the governor of the Bank of Thailand, to help with the project. Dr. Puey talked to me, and I agreed, adding, "But I'll just help. I'll give you what advice you want. All I want is one vote in a committee." They quite liked that.

The brain behind this whole idea was Dr. Neon Snidvong. She was also a member of the royal family. She had been my contempo-

101

Ch12 POLITICAL UNREST 13

134

Political Unrest

The 1971 coup

Nineteen seventy-one was a very bad year for me. The coup d'etat came at the end of the year. The prime minister, Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn, had succeeded Sarit Thanarat as dictator in 1963. He had experimented with democracy in 1967, but by 1971 he was fed up with the constitution and fed up with Parliament. He had to put up with their questions and bribe them to get his work done. He'd had enough. He dissolved Parliament and declared a state of emergency and martial law on November 17.

I had just returned from Italy, the U.S., and Mexico, but had planned a big conference before I left. The Komol Keemthong Foundation was bringing together young people from all over the country to meet in Chiang Mai. The coup occurred one week before our meeting. What could I do? I called one of our board members who worked in the Prime Minister's Office: "We have been planning this meeting for months. To cancel it will be very difficult. Can we go ahead?" He said, "Let me check with my boss." Eventually, we were allowed to go ahead—it was educational, nothing revolutionary. I had planned a meeting of the Cultural Relations for the Future study group to be held in Chiang Mai simultaneously. I wanted the Thai students and the older people from Southeast Asia to meet each

other.

While these meetings were taking place, Chiang Mai University had invited me to speak. Unfortunately, I lost my temper—I never liked coups or dictators. I made a speech denouncing the coup leaders. I said, "These people treat the soldiers as if they were in the zoo, giving them fruit. (The Field Marshal himself had brought fruit and drinks to the troops.) What is this coup? You staged a coup against yourself!" The tape was sent straight to Thanom. He was furious.

The Special Branch of the Police was sent to our meetings. When one speaker referred to credit unions, they thought we were Communists. The next day, forty-five armed policemen showed up. Had any of our boys run, they would have been shot. I went to talk with them. "What's going on here? Why are we surrounded?" They said, "You need special permission to call a meeting of more than five people. You cannot talk politics."

"What do you mean by 'politics'? If we came to plan to overthrow the coup leaders, I would call that politics. Talk like this I wouldn't call politics. If so, all the words in my vocabulary would have to be considered political, except what people say in bed while making love." They didn't know what to say. "Anyhow, you need special permission," they repeated. "I have permission from the Prime Minister's Office," I said. "If you don't trust me, call them. Besides, do you think all the principals, rectors, and presidents of the government colleges would allow their students to be here had I not gotten permission?" Again, he didn't know what to say. Finally, a major or colonel came: "I'm very sorry. This young chap made a mistake. We came to ask the students to return to their hostel since there is a curfew at ten p.m." They didn't dare to call the Prime Minister's Office. They even offered to take all the boys to the prostitutes to make up for it! I couldn't believe how they made such a serious thing into a joke.

I continued to write articles and speak out against the coup. I was invited to speak at colleges, my articles appeared everywhere, and we had meetings at our bookshop every week. The Field Marshal didn't know what to do with me. One day, the chief of the Special Branch of the Police came to see me. I was sitting in the office of the foundation, on the floor, as is our custom. The chief sat down with me. He was very polite. He said, "Professor Sulak, you know we have a state of emergency. The last Parliament was full of bad MPs. That's why Field Marshal Thanom dissolved it. He wants to have a new Parliament with good, clean MPs. If one's house is in need of repair, we must all help to repair it. But if unruly children are running about and shouting, it's bad for the people to see. Mr. Sulak, if you keep quiet and collaborate with us, we can repair the house much more quickly. If you like, I can arrange for you to meet the leader of the

coup. He would love to listen to you. If you're interested, we would like you to become a senator and help draft the new constitution." I replied, "I don't like your analogy. We are not children. The house belongs to all of us. We are not misbehaving. We are shouting that you do not do the right thing. I don't want to see him—I dörft want to be bribed or bought."

"I know you are a man of principle. I ask you not to write articles attacking the coup leaders."

"My articles are published by colleges, and those colleges belong to the government. If I write anything illegal, you can put me in jail."

"You are too clever. You are a lawyer. We can't put you in jail. Your writing hurts him—you are always punching hard. Can't you stop speaking out?"

"How can I? I don't like speaking, but nobody else will do it. Mr. Kukrit Pramoj has put a notice up in front of his office: 'State of Emergency. I don't accept any invitations to speak.' This leaves only me. Besides, it would be very easy for you to stop me from speaking. Send a circular to all the colleges saying, 'Mr. Sulak is a dreadful man. He should not be invited, and none of his articles should be published."

"We can't do that. We want to show that we respect freedom of speech. I must ask you, however, to discontinue your weekly meetings here at the bookshop. You know it is illegal. We can put you in jail anytime."

"You can put me in jail anytime, but my meeting is not illegal. 'Political' to me means that I am planning to overthrow you. But in our meetings we discuss situations like traffic jams and pollution. We discuss the wrong goals of development and propose alternatives. We discuss the conservation of trees and buildings. I don't think that's political."

"Well, in that case, may I have one of my boys come to listen to you?"

"Certainly, we advertise in the newspaper. You're most welcome to come." They were very fair. When they came, they announced that they were from the Special Branch of the Police. Our boys enjoyed attacking the police department.

Dr. Puey Ungphakorn's letter

Dr. Puey was in England when the coup occurred. He had left the governorship of the Bank of Thailand, but he was still dean of the Faculty of Economics at Thammasat University. Thanom and Puey knew each other well and trusted one another, but when Thanom staged the coup, Puey could not restrain himself He wrote a famous letter called the "Letter from Mr. Kern Yen Ying." (When Puey was in the Free Thai movement during the Second World War, he used the nickname Kern Yen Ying.) He wrote as a humble man would write to the headman of the village, instead of the former governor of the central bank writing to the prime minister.

It was a very simple letter saying, "You, headman, are wonderful, good, and honest. You have rules and regulations for our village. After the long absence of a constitution, you even gave us a new constitution. It is not perfect, but it's better than having none. At least there's the rule of law. We have a parliament. It's not great, but it's better than having none. Unfortunately, only one year after the elections, you abolished it all, as if trampling on something with your foot that you wrote with your own hand. It's a shame. Please be sensible. Restore law and order, return the constitution as soon as you can, hold elections. Keeping power within your clique is very bad for the country. However good your intentions, abuse of power can take place anytime." The letter created a big response, and people circulated it. Though it was a humble, polite letter, Thanom was furious. His son, Colonel Narong, said Puey was Enemy Number One. "Puey can legally come back, but I will not be responsible if he is run over by a ten-wheel truck!"

The coup leaders used all kinds of psychological warfare. Colonel Narong said about me, "Mr. Sulak is very clever. What's white he says is black, and people believe him." My wife was afraid for my life. When the postman came to our house, her knees were trembling. She thought the police had come to arrest me. They told my cousin Sala, then first secretary at the Embassy in Tokyo, "You must talk to Sulak. He should kowtow to the powers that be or at least shut up for the time being." Even my father-in-law became very angry with me. He said, "You brought difficulty to my daughter. You have been very well educated, and you have refused everything that has been

130 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT POLITICAL UNREST 1139

offered to you. You have no security. In ten years you have not risen—you still make only six thousand baht a month." But my wife, Nilchawee, was very supportive.

The 1973 uprising

By 1973, the students were becoming a powerful force. They were upset about a case in which three MPs were jailed as traitors merely because they took a case to court charging that the prime minister's actions were unconstitutional. Scandals emerged among the leaders of the universities. The rector of Ramkamhaeng University was Thanom's lackey; the students attacked him. The vice rector at Chulalongkorn University was involved in corruption; the students demonstrated against him. They also demonstrated against Japanese goods. The Social Science Review became even more political, attacking the Americans. (I was no longer the editor of the Social Science Review, although I served as a member of the editorial board.) The dictatorship wanted to preserve its benevolent image, so they did not act.

The students demanded democracy within six months. They consulted with me, and I said, "This is silly. They won't give it to you." They said, "Never mind, we want to make a point." At first they planned to teach democracy at the Reporters' Association, but the association was afraid of the dictator. The students said, "Okay. We'll use the bookshop." They created a big flyer: "Anybody that wants to learn about democracy, come to the Suksit Siam Bookshop."

The vital incident of the '73 uprising is still a mystery. On October 6, eleven people started distributing a leaflet asking for democracy, a constitution, and elections. Some were students, some professors. They were arrested on charges of obstructing traffic. Within two hours the charges had changed to treason for Communist activities. The sentence for Communist activities can be life imprisonment. That's why people protested. This was during the university examinations period. Protesters at Thammasat University refused to take their exams. They all demonstrated. The whole university voted to demand that their friends be released. One of them was the secretary of the Komol Keemthong Foundation. Many were former members of our club. All were close friends of mine.

The government refused. Field Marshal Praphas Charusathira, the second man, minister of the interior and former commander-in-

chief of the army, consulted an astrologer, who advised the government not to yield to the students. If the government stood firm for two weeks, they would win triumphantly. The thing dragged on for a week.

The students started a big campaign, and many people joined. Much of the country was fed up with the government because it had been a dictatorship since '47. There had been no real elections since '57. The same group of people—three generals and two field mar-shals—had been running the country one after the other. The rich became richer, and the poor poorer. More and more people—half a million—joined the demonstration. The poor people fed the demonstrators and the students. Shopkeepers and fruit vendors gave them free food. The shop next door to my bookshop toasted bananas and gave them away. There was a wonderful spirit in the air.

One of the student leaders, a friend from our club, Mr. Seksan Prasertkul, made a speech: "We want to walk peacefully to the palace with a picture of the Buddha, the national flag, and photographs of the king and queen. We want to demand that our friends be released and that we return to democracy within six months." Supposedly, the government agreed to release the thirteen people in jail and grant a constitution within six months. Everything was settled.

But on October 14, something went wrong. The king's words are still with me: "This is the darkest day, the most sorry day in our history, because our own people were killed." Some demonstrators had been attacked in front of the palace. First they were shot with tear gas, then with real bullets. Some of them fled into the palace. Of course, the king, the queen, and the king's mother were very nice, looking after them. We don't know who started the incident—whether the demonstrators had incited anything or whether it was a ploy by the army. It was said that Colonel Narong had wanted to kill all of the demonstrators. Nobody has yet told the truth.

I was at a meeting in Singapore at the time. When I arrived home, things were very tense. I couldn't stay at my house—people told me that it wasn't safe. My friends took me to my mother's home. Nobody would know where I was, and there was no telephone. They said I

must pack and leave the next day, but by then things had calmed down. The king announced that Professor Sanya Dharmasakti, then rector ofThammasat University and president of the Komol Keem-thong Foundation, would become the new prime minister. The king had persuaded the three strong men—Field Marshal Thanorn, his son Narong, and the deputy prime minister Field Marshal Praphas—to leave the country. The prime minister went to Boston, his son went to Germany, and the deputy prime minister went to Taiwan. It was announced that they had fled the country.

Aftermath of the 1973 uprising

People had died, and the dictator was gone, yet the army was still in power. In fact, the army was delighted. These three men had wanted to control the whole army. Narong was very arrogant and thought he had all the power. He was known to be corrupt and outspoken in a bad way. He treated the generals very badly. They all hated him and would not cooperate with him.

Of course, the students thought that they had won. I told them that they hadn't really won. "This is not your victory. Only three oppressive leaders are gone, and the army is still a state within the state. Nothing has changed. The structure is still oppressive to the people." I told them that we had been used as a kind of convenience. I said, "Be careful, they will come back against you." They didn't believe me.

Before I had been a very popular speaker. I was the only one speaking out against the coup. But now I became very unpopular because they said I only wanted the Buddhist way, the Middle Way, the weak way. I had told them, "You must study our roots. The Buddha's teachings are very radical—the Buddha left the palace to become a beggar—but you have to change yourself first. Then you can change society." They said we had followed the Buddha for 2,500 years, but it hadn't changed anything for the better. We had also followed the Americans for thirty years, and things had gotten much worse. Now we must march the Marxist way. We must rebel against both Buddhism and the Americans. The students became drawn to communism. They studied all the Marxist terms and imported the red book of Mao Tse-tung. We got rid of the Americans, and we recognized China for the first time. We also recognized Vietnam.

The king held a "royal and people's assembly." He dissolved the old House of Assembly appointed by the former premier to make way for a new Parliament. He selected people from every profession—ten farmers from all over the country, ten labor leaders, civil servants, and people from the military, journalism, whatever. They met at the Royal Turf Club—a horse racing club next to his palace—so I called it the "Race Horse Parliament." I was excluded. So was our national hero, Seni Pramoj, Kukrit's elder brother. He was our minister in Washington, D.C., before the Second World War; he led the Free Thai movement in America all through the war; and he was prime minister a few times. Of course, the thirteen people who had been in jail weren't invited either, although some of them were invited later on.

There were over two thousand people at the first meeting. Two hundred sixty people were elected to the "constitutional assembly." Some of them would draft a constitution; the rest would act as a kind of interim Parliament, with Mr. Sanya as the prime minister, until we had elections and a new constitution. The country was supposed to be a wonderful country now.

Unfortunately, the king's good intentions were exploited. Kukrit Pramoj was elected number one. He got the most votes partly because the people who came all knew him. He had been outspoken until Thanom staged the coup against himself in 1974 but then he shut his mouth right away. Again, at the October 14 event, he had been with the people, but when he felt that the demonstration might be crushed, he said he was ill and went to the hospital. I had been active and outspoken throughout, but Kukrit was a man who was very slippery—what we call an "eel." Eventually he became very unpopular. Dr. Puey Ungphakorn was elected the second man.

There was much turmoil during this time. The Communist Party of Thailand had recruited quite a number of leading students. They felt that we had to revolutionize everything in reaction against overly traditional approaches. On the other hand, the civil servants who ran the provinces didn't want any interference by nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) or universities who would challenge their author-

142 I LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT POLITICAL UNREST 1143

ity. The system was very corrupt, from the top down and the bottom up.

Poor Dr. Puey was caught between these two poles. He was a national hero. But the students felt he was too liberal and too Western. Although he managed to keep everything that he directed clean of corruption, his projects always helped the rich. He saw to it that the first Friendship Highway outside of Bangkok was not corrupt, but. once the road was built, elite land owners on both sides of the road sold out for profits, and the farmers became landless laborers. Dr. Puey felt that was wrong, and that he had failed in working with the government. He turned to the NGOs, but then he was accused of being pro-Communist.

I got involved with Dr. Puey around this time. I introduced him to Mr. Alec Dickson, founder of the British VSO. He was impressed by Mr. Dickson and said he wanted to do something similar in our country. He said the Thai equivalent should be recognized by the government—otherwise they would regard it as a Communist orga-nization—but it should be run autonomously by the university. He started what he called the Graduate Volunteer Service. He asked me and a few others for help. This program sends middle-class university students to care for the poor and oppressed, helping to broaden their awareness. It is still going on.

Beginning a book distribution network

Around that time, Klett Verlag, the biggest German textbook publishing house in Stuttgart, was interested in Siam. They wanted to do something for the Third World and had started a sister company in Indonesia. Now they wanted to start one in Siam. They became partners with someone who had no experience in printing or publishing. They gave a lot of money to him and started a big printing plant, second only to my former employer, Thai Wattanapanich. Eventually, the Germans found out that their partner was a swindler, and somebody recommended me to replace him. I told them that they didn't need a printing house, because in Bangkok we had over two hundred printing houses, and they were all very cheap. "If you want me, start small—only me, my secretary, and an office."

They liked my proposal, and we started a small office called Klett Thai—a kind of sister company to Klett Verlag. I was the managing director, and I asked one of my former colleagues to become secre-tary—Mr. Anant Viriyapinit, who is now very close to me. I wanted high-quality books. I repeated my experience from the Social Science Press, but made it even freer. I was the boss. I formed my own editorial board. This was just before the '73 student uprising.

It had been over ten years since I had started the Social Science Review, and I knew that publishing was not easy. I had enough connections, and the Germans would supply me with the money, but the difficulty lay in selling the books. It was easy to send books to the bookshops, but it was very difficult to collect the money. Hitherto there had been only five distributors, known as the "five tigers." These "five tigers" distributed only books that were within their control, only bestsellers, and they charged for it. It was difficult for a small publishing house like mine to make money when we only had one or two books to send to the bookshops. If they couldn't sell our books, they wouldn't pay us. But after the '73 uprising, there were many new publishing houses, particularly left-wing publishers. They could not find anybody to distribute their books, so they came to us. I thought we should put all our resources together, and then the books could go out regularly through a distributor, and we could collect the money. If bookstores refused to pay, we wouldn't supply them anymore. So I started a distribution network.

The Pha Mong Dam

Another project I got involved with was the Pha Mong Dam. During the Vietnam War, the Americans had spent a lot of money on bombing, and many people had died. Kenneth Boulding, a prominent Quaker, wrote to President Kennedy suggesting the Americans spend money on development instead of war, that they use their resources for peaceful purposes and build a dam on the Mekhong River. The Mekhong is an enormous river, and the dam would have to be bigger than the Aswan Dam in Egypt. Four countries benefit from the

Mekhong        Siam, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia—all with Com-

munist infiltration. The president acknowledged that Boulding's idea was wonderful, and set up a Mekhong Committee.

Another American Quaker, Stuart Meecham, with the AFSC office

144 I LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

POLITICAL UNREST 1145

in Singapore, came to my office in Bangkok. He said to me, "You know, if this big dam is built, one province of your country will be entirely flooded. Hundreds of thousands of people will have to be evacuated, and they have never even been consulted. What can we do?" I said, "The least we can do is ask the people. We can have a small seminar in the Quaker manner." He liked the idea. The AFSC tried to encourage people to think differently—to work for peace and nonviolence rather than war. This was in

We planned the seminar to take place in the area where the dam would be built. We'd meet on the Thai side, and then we'd cross over to the Laotian side. The Laotians would come to join us, and we would go to join them. It was all planned, but the American Embassy objected. They said, "No, you don't need to do that. The decision has already been made. Why do you want to interfere? We don't need your seminar. It will make no contribution." They thought it was a crazy idea. Stuart told me, "Without the Embassy's blessing, I would find it very difficult to work." I replied, "Well, then, you can work with me. We'll do it through the Komol Keemthong Foundation."

Dr. Puey, the president of Thammasat University; and Professor Saneh Chamarik, the vice president, were involved in this seminar. So were many academics, specialists, and ministry officials. Of course, we also invited farmers. It was the first time farmers met with top officials. The first day of the seminar we met a farmer named Thongpan. He had been affected by an earlier dam. He lost his farm and was now a landless laborer. He and his wife were employed to spread chemical pesticides containing DDT. We were shocked when his wife died the second day of the seminar. We all contributed to her funeral. A very talented man named Mike Morrow, a writer for the Far Eastern Economic Review, felt we must document this, so we made a film called Thongpan, describing this man's life and the seminar. The film has now become a classic.

At the end of the seminar, we had a group photograph taken. The police got hold of this photo, and it was published in a right-wing newspaper and in the Bangkok Post (a mouthpiece of the military at that time). The Thai paper Dao Siam said that this had been a meeting of the Communist Party of Thailand, whose chairman was Dr. Puey. They circled his face on the photo. They also circled my face,

The so-called Communist Party meeting (Dr. Puey is standing to thefar right)

saying that I was a leading member of the Communist Party. Circling Stuart Meecham's face, the Quaker organizer, they said he was a I Russian KGB agent. Stuart wrote a very strong protest to the Embassy and the paper, but he got no acknowledgment. This photograph 1 became a classic.

The 1976 coup

By this time, the three exiled leaders from the '73 coup all wanted to come home. Thanom, who now lived in Singapore, said his father was very ill, and he had to see him on humanitarian grounds. The prime minister, Seni Pramoj, said, "We can't stop him from coming; any Thai who wants to come home has the right to do so. There is no case against him." Thanom's return made the unstable situation worse. He had been ordained as a novice monk in Singapore, returning home in yellow robes, and he wanted to have higher ordination as a fully ordained monk, a bhikkhu. People put up posters against him saying that this man was using religion and the sacred robes as a pretext. Two young workers in nearby Nakhorn Pathom who put up one of these posters were found hanged. People were very angry, and demonstrations took place.

The military had been lying low for three years. With the current state of unrest, they wanted to bring the country back to the "good

146 1 LOYALTY DEMANDS DISSENT

old days" of military rule. They felt the students were too Marxist. Dr. Puey had already been accused of being a Communist. These things gave the military a good excuse to have a coup. It came on October 6. Thousands of students were jailed; hundreds were killed. Thousands more left for the jungle and joined the Communist Party of Thailand. The right wing wanted to lynch Dr. Puey. He had to leave the country and has lived in England ever since.

When the bloody coup took place, I was not at home. The police came to my house, to my bookshop, and to the office of the Komol Keemthong Foundation. The police who came to my house were very nice. They talked to my wife, and they only took four books away. In my bookshop the police were also very nice and only took a few books. But at the Komol Keemthong Foundation, across the street from my house, they were much more dramatic. They blocked off our small lane with two tanks. A television crew climbed up to film the office, and they said: "This is the national headquarters of the Communist Party of Thailand." It affected a lot of my people. The police asked who was in charge. Everyone was afraid, but my wife very bravely stepped forward and said she was in charge. They took her to the police station and interrogated her. Luckily, we knew somebody who knew somebody, so she was not put in jail. They took three or four truckloads of books published by the Komol Keemthong Foundation and S athirakoses-Nagapradipa Foundation. They even confiscated poetry books. Anything that had a red cover was taken away to be burnt. I lost quite a bit. I wrote to the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), giving them all the details, telling them my rights had been abused. UNESCO sent my letter to the Thai government. They never replied.

But that was not the only place where my books were taken. At that time I was working at Klett Thai. Afraid of the Communists, when Laos fell, Klett Verlag, our German parent company, withdrew, and I bought the company from them. By '76, most of the books we distributed were leftist books. The police confiscated all of them. The company went bankrupt as a direct consequence. Luckily, I was not there myself Otherwise, I think they would have tortured or killed me. The military thought I was a Communist, and most leftist students thought I was a CIA agent.