2022/10/18

Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker: A Humble Stumble Toward Simplicity and Grace by J. Brent Bill | Goodreads

Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker: A Humble Stumble Toward Simplicity and Grace by J. Brent Bill | Goodreads





Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker: A Humble Stumble Toward Simplicity and Grace

by 
 3.90  ·   Rating details ·  70 ratings  ·  21 reviews
On quick observation, the Quaker lifestyle boasts peace, solitude, and simplicity--qualities that are attractive to any believer of any denomination or religion. Yet living a life of faith is not as simple as it may look. In fact, it's often characterized more by the stumbles than the grace. (less)

GET A COPY

Paperback208 pages
Published December 1st 2015 by Abingdon Press
ISBN
1630881317  (ISBN13: 9781630881313)
Edition Language
English
...Less DetailEdit Details

FRIEND REVIEWS

Recommend This BookTop reviews from the United States
Mary Lou Cheatham
VINE VOICE
5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Gift
Reviewed in the United States on February 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
If you have a friend who needs to remember how to laugh, is graduating from high school, retiring, taking himself too seriously or not seriously enough, give him Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker. And read it yourself.

Do you know any bigots? J. Brent Bill will gently but firmly admonish them while he makes them look in the mirror at their faults in a cheerful way.

Give yourself this book if you'd like to learn more about the history and practice of the Friends without being scolded for what you don't know.

The worst feature of the little Life Lessons book is that it comes to an end. I listened to it on my Kindle and I wanted the voice to keep talking to me about how to live. I promise you the book will help you make it through each day or give you a pleasant thought before you sleep at night.

For about 200 pages it's a bit costly, but it's worth it. Get your hands on this one and pass it to a friend.
Read less
8 people found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
Michael O. Simmons
4.0 out of 5 stars Good lessons in a not-so-good format from a "Bad Quaker"
Reviewed in the United States on June 16, 2016
Verified Purchase
This dialogue with Brent Bill is a pretty easy read with a generous share of wit and wisdom as well as information about being Quaker. However, the repetitive formula at the end of each section became tiresome and quickly lost its appeal and effectiveness. I began to skip those sections. I think the Bad Boy Quaker got lazy and settled... But then, what is one to expect from a "Bad Quaker"? I guess I expected a bit more creativity.
One person found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
@JVolk
5.0 out of 5 stars What's a Friend, with a capital "f"?
Reviewed in the United States on October 4, 2016
Verified Purchase
Brent Bill explores how even -- or especially -- a Bad Quaker can enter into a friendship with the source of light and being and in a way that becomes you -- not everyone -- but the real you. If you are seeking something but you don't know yet what, this book might interest you. Of course, I liked the book, because I enjoy self-deprecating humor and homespun theology. Also, because as a Friend myself, a lot of what Brent Bill writes helps me to reflect on my experience and journey.
3 people found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
Ginger B.
5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried...
Reviewed in the United States on December 8, 2016
Verified Purchase
I'm new to the Quaker faith and this book was a GREAT read! It's funny and lighthearted while giving very practical insight into how to live out the Quaker faith. I have SO many notes and highlights because there was something I wanted to remember on practically every page. Great read if you're interested in what Quakers believe and do, or if you're just interested in exploring your spiritual side and how to live out spirituality.
5 people found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
Vincent Lamar Cobb
5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful
Reviewed in the United States on May 6, 2016
Verified Purchase
I really liked this book because it gave me a different way to view things. In the meeting I go to up until reading this book I thought of it kind of like other churches I've been to where u gotta b perfect. Reading this book helped me a lot in the way I see the difference between Quakers and other churches.
2 people found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
Mary Louise Chesley-Cora
5.0 out of 5 stars Are there really Bad Quakers?
Reviewed in the United States on September 29, 2016
Verified Purchase
Brent Bill shares wonderful lessons on life, faith, peace-making, non-violence and good humor as he looks at his own life. Almost makes me want to be a "Bad Quaker"....and in some ways maybe I am!
One person found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
William S. Jackman
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Reviewed in the United States on December 24, 2015
Verified Purchase
While it would not have been as good a title. "Life Lessons for a Bad Whatever-You-Are" would be very accurate. I am not a Quaker, but the questions randomly put through the book are thought provoking.
One person found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
anotherid4me
5.0 out of 5 stars Study about Quakers
Reviewed in the United States on September 18, 2016
Verified Purchase
I have been interested in Quaker-ism & enjoyed this summary of those following. I'll definitely continue reading & learning more
One person found this helpful
Helpful
Report abuse
See all reviews
Top reviews from other countries
Gordon
2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 29, 2017
Verified Purchase
Not my style
Report abuse
 None of your friends have reviewed this book yet.

READER Q&A





Connie
Feb 18, 2016rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I saw the title of this book, I immediately thought the author was probably one of those people who takes pride in being bad; a person who smirks when he says things like that because he thinks it is cool to be a renegade. After reading the synopsis, I wasn't sure what to think, so I decided to read this and find out. I am curious about Quakers, and I hoped to learn more about their faith.

I am delighted to tell you that the author is someone who cares deeply about being the best Quaker he can be. As I read what it's like to be Quaker and how he tries to live out his beliefs, I found a lot to treasure and think about in this book. And I often laughed out loud when I read about notorious bad Quakers throughout history.

I haven't come across any other books about Quakers, not that I'm saying there aren't any out there. I'm sure there are. I do believe that this an excellent introduction to the Quaker faith. Not only that, but a good book to read for any Christian.
 (less)
Leah
Nov 24, 2015rated it really liked it
Notice of material connection in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR Part 255: I received a prepublication ARC of this book from author (in this case), publisher, distributor, publicist, etc. with no requirement to write a positive review. As always, my opinions are my own.

Friend and friend Brent's brand-new book (released just yesterday!) brings us a panorama of a few more or less typical days in the several and varied lives of a Bad Quaker hoping to become better by following Jesus more closely. Not too long, easy to read, fun to read, yet packed with probing questions about Jesus' clear examples and our own lifestyles.

Technically Brent is a birthright Quaker or cradle Quaker, someone literally born into that expression of Christianity. Early in the book he explains how he still needed to assess and claim the Quaker tradition for himself because there's an element of human choice and decision to follow a particular style of Christianity with the broader Way of the Nazarene Jesus. Brent tells us why simply living as Jesus' Friend is best for him. What church tradition or denomination has God called you to at this time? And why? "No one right answer," as Brent reminds us in the quick questions sprinkled through this book.

Most Americans have some awareness of the rotund guy in a black hat featured on packages of Quaker cereal products. Per the Quaker cereal website, he "is not an actual person. His image is that of a man dressed in the Quaker garb, chosen because the Quaker faith projected the values of honesty, integrity, purity and strength." Some people confuse Quakers with other Christian groups who aim to live simply, whose worship is less formally liturgical—although some Quaker worship is programmed. Amish, Mennonites, Church of the Brethren also come to mind as examples of simple Christianity; Restoration Movements in the USA during the 19th century also attempted to reclaim a more basic, foundational, New Testament Christianity. Most of my own church and Jesus experience is solidly within the theological and liturgical traditions of the Protestant Mainline, and that means an emphasis on sacraments and on scriptural scholarship, with wonderfully effective histories of social and political activism. Like myself, many within the Mainline Churches USA are not especially adept at being quiet and waiting on the Spirit to move among us. In fact, I tend to be as much of a human doing as I am a human being.

Similar to at least a half-dozen books I've read in the past year or two, Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker by J. Brent Bill encourages me to observe the world around me, assess how I relate to the people in that world, to keep asking "what would Jesus do," cuz as trite as that question sounds by now, in the Spirit of Life God calls us and enables us to be Jesus here and now, to do what Jesus would do, even to say the words Jesus might choose. The Quaker faith still projects values of "honesty, integrity, purity and strength" with each individual's life totally immersed in the very sacramental "holy ordinary" that happens to be the title of one of Brent's blogs. Maybe surprisingly, The Society of Friends does not celebrate sacraments or ordinances in the orderly programmatic sense those of us in more mainstream mainline church bodies do.

Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker brings us much more of the practical than of the theoretical. Did I mention what a human doing I naturally tend to be? That's right, I did, but in spite of that tendency, my drive to do needs a whole lot of refinement and some redefining. I'd benefit a whole lot by creating my own Life Lessons journal of some days in my own life. Maybe you would, too? Popularized by the majorly successful Godspell, Richard of Chichester's prayer pleads "May I know Thee more clearly, love Thee more dearly, follow Thee more nearly." Brent's newest book just may lead you to know, love, and follow Jesus with more simplicity and more grace. 
(less)
Rich Lewis
Dec 29, 2015rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed "Life Lessons From A Bad Quaker". J. Brent Bill is hilarious. He is witty. He is honest. He is raw. He is not afraid to tell it like it is. "Which is one reason I’m a Quaker today. I need to be. It challenges me. It rubs up against the parts of me that need smoothed out."

Let me share a few lessons that J. Brent Bill learned that resonated with me.

"I have learned that growing deep in the life of the Spirit doesn’t take me out of the life I’m living." Yes. This is so true. In order to truly live, one needs to go deep in the life of the Spirit. The outer life is only as good as the inner life. This will take time! We need to keep at it. "Busy outwardly, centered and silently inwardly. Speaking from experience, it’s not gonna happen overnight."

"So even though God speaks to me constantly, I’m just not listening. That’s why I need silence." If we want to hear God speaking, we need to shut up. I think J. Brent Bill would agree with me saying it so bluntly.

"We believe that God always has something to teach us about being people of faith in our current times. So we ask lots of questions hoping to find out how to live godly lives." Quakers ask lots of questions. I loved all of the questions that were sprinkled throughout each chapter. I often found myself reading a question and then taking five minutes to meditate on my answers to this question. I jotted down multiple one sentence answers to each question. Questions help us grow. I grew as I read this book.

"Cumbered” is how early Quakers referred to the way the things we own (or think we own) weigh us down and steal attention away from the life of the Spirit." I found myself wondering the same thing. What is taking me away from the life of the Spirit? Is it my iPhone or iPad ? Is it Facebook and or Twitter? Perhaps it is being annoyed at others, the traffic jam I am stuck in or being bogged down with the never ending household chores that seem to always pop up?

"My good friend Connie taught me what she calls the SOB prayer. I use it a lot: “God, give that SOB everything I would hope for myself to be made happy, whole, and free.”
It is a fact. We are not going to like everybody we come across. I am sure there are plenty of people that do not like me. However, that person is still a child of God. God loves them just as much as God loves me. I still need to pray for them. I still need to love them. "God loves everybody as much as God loves me? If that’s true, I’d better start treating people better."

"There are plenty of things I could do. The issue is what is God calling me to do." I pulled this out of the chapter, "Gods Good Green Earth". If I get quiet, I just might hear what it is that God is calling me to do to take better care of mother earth. We and this includes me, forget and take for granted that God has blessed us with this beautiful earth. We and this means me, need to take better care of it. What is God calling me to do?

Read "Life Lessons From A Bad Quaker". Take the time to meditate on the questions sprinkled throughout each chapter. Is your faith challenging you and rubbing up against the parts of you that need to be smoothed out? Quiet yourself! What actions is God calling you to take?
(less)
William
Jan 05, 2016rated it it was amazing
If Birthright Quakers were still acknowledged, I would be a fourth generation Quaker. In fact, I can trace my Father's Quaker roots back to the area in which Mr. Bill lives -- and I have often visited my resting fore-bearers on Memorial Day.

With that being said, I am also a "Bad Quaker", while having it influence my life, didn't really "get it" until a couple of years ago -- but I jumped in, and went right to the deep end, devouring all sort of Quaker texts and histories.

I can relate to, empathize with, and laugh along with Mr. Bill (especially because we share a few mutual Friends!). Some reviewers on here seem to be a little unfair, saying this isn't a book about Quakerism, as such as it is a conversation with a man with a "smarmy voice". In my opinion, no smarmy-ness was perceived, but maybe that's just how we Quakers talk.

No, I don't think this book was a good jumping in place for someone new to the Quaker ideals -- but I don't think they would be totally in the dark, either. I think it was the perfect book for someone like me, a Quaker by heritage, but haven't always been true to attending Meetings, but still communes with the Light in Myself, and looks for ways to live out my Quaker Testaments of Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community and Equality -- but stumbles humbly more often than not.

I've already formed a list of people (Friends and friends) to whom I want to gift this book. I hope you, review-reader, will do yourself a favor a give it a read as well.
 (less)
Peggy
Dec 14, 2015rated it it was amazing
The basic value of simplicity in Quakerism belies its complexity. How can a denomination with no dogma or creed, sometimes without a minister, be understood and practiced? A Quaker minister, Brent Bill, examines the foundational values and practices of Quakerism and poses the important questions that people must ultimately find answers to from within. Brent supports the process of this discernment with examples of his successes and failures at living a Quaker life, sharing the perspective that the journey toward Christian ideals need not be all or nothing, but is a life-long, joyful, often bumpy process. Life Lessons from a Bad Quaker, a deeply insightful and learned book written with warmth and humor, is illuminating to those who seek to understand this often misunderstood faith, and encouraging to those who have encountered struggles in its practice. A must for any Quaker bookshelf.

(less)
Bill
Nov 26, 2015rated it it was ok
This is a very chatty, very informal introduction to the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) for those not familiar with Quakers or those who feel that being a Quaker means that you have to be a Perfect Human Being.

J Brent Bill uses his own ‘imperfection’ being a Quaker as a way into discussing why the Religious Society of Friends may be helpful to many who know little about this religious sect.

Bill may be more conservative than the Quakers I hung around with first at a Quaker Boarding School for four years and then as a member of first one, than another, monthly meeting – what Friends call their separate places of worship.

Our yearly meeting – what Quakers call a large number of their monthly meetings – was made up of New York City; Northern New Jersey, and the eastern chunk of Upstate NY – we had a wide range of belief – from former (or possibly, current) Jewish men and women to Goddess people to conservative Christians. Friends can be found with those kinds of beliefs.

For a intriguing and engrossing read, you might want to tackle, Jan de Hartog’s THE PEACEABLE KINGDOM, that will tell you more about the Religious Society of Friends in novel form than anything else I know – and unlike LIFE LESSONS FROM A BAD QUAKER – it’s even written in good English.
(less)
☼Bookish in Virginia☼
First thing you should know is that you don't have to be a Quaker/Friend to use this book. I'm not sure that you even need to be religious to find utility in it... if you are in the mood.

I write the above because the Mr. Bill's book is about inward reflecting. And what he offers is a book that falls into themes, along with questions that you can consider and contemplate. Some of the questions involve God, but if your a non-God person you can either ignore those, or re-write them to be more appropriate for you.

MY TAKE
At first I was put off by Brent Bill's writing style. It's whimsical and happy. At first it seemed to be self-focused BUT after I started the second chapter I realized how intentional his style was. By which I mean that because it was almost goofy it reached through my daily 'fog' and allowed me to get into a space where I could actually focus and think about the questions that he asked. So for me this book is a keeper.

Recommend if you think you'd like his approach.

~ review copy
Book #17 for 2016
 (less)
Joe
Jul 07, 2019rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book to provide some context and real-life stories compared to the very dry textbook-like quality of Faith and Values (which I'm muddling my way through at a very slow pace). It was refreshing to read a book in which the author admits to being a real person; someone who is a good person who also has flaws and struggles at times with certain tenets of the Quaker faith. This book failed to fully pull me in (thus the lower rating), but its message is beautiful and can be inspiring to people of all backgrounds and faiths (or lack thereof). Life isn't about being a perfect Christ-like being, but instead pushing yourself out of your comfort zone to be more open, loving, and generous (and not beating yourself up over things when you fall a bit short of the mark). I would recommend this book for all people who are interested in learning about the Quaker religion and I may pick up some of the author's other works to learn even more about it somewhere down the road. (less)
Brian Wilcox
Jul 17, 2019rated it liked it
After reading the author's Holy Silence and seeing the title and front cover for this book, I anticipated an inspiring, humorous look into Quakerism. For me, the book could never live up to the title or what I had anticipated from previous reading of the author. Likewise, I could not connect to the author's attempt at humor by returning to the theme "I'm a bad Quaker"; this diverted attention from the material, and I began to feel the attention being drawn to the author and the attempt to appear humorous.

Whom might this book work for? Persons who are interested in an experiential look into Quaker ethics and lifestyle, written by an Evangelical Quaker. And persons who are not familiar with Quakerism will find here a good introduction to the practical ethics of the Society of Friends.
 (less)
Rhiannon Grant
An entertaining, personal, and practical guide to some of the key issues in trying to be a friend of Jesus, Quaker-style. I especially enjoyed the extracts from the Gospels, New Brent Bill Version, which embody the experience of encountering Christ Within through Scripture reading.
Sue
Jul 25, 2021rated it really liked it
Good book for those seeking to simplify and improve their lives. Written for Quakers, but can apply to any Christian, in my opinion. Might work for other faiths if you focus on the universal aspects of simplicity. Easy reading from a writer with a light touch.
Mary
Mar 20, 2017rated it liked it
Shelves: humorreligion
Definitely a helpful book to read if you are trying to re-evaluate your life and live according to your faith. The corny dad humor underscores the notion that we shouldn't take ourselves seriously, even if we take our decisions and values seriously. Just do your best, and don't beat yourself up. Full disclosure: I graduated from a Quaker college (Earlham College), so I am a sucker for books rooted in Quakerism. (less)
Chel
Sep 07, 2016rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subtitle of this book captures its flavor. The author is a Quaker who has written a number of other books on various aspects of the spiritual life. He is also well known for co-hosting the Facebook page "Association of Bad Friends," where Quakers are invited to joke with each other about their religion and lifestyles. This title is an odd mixture of the two styles, written in an informal, chatty voice, in which he discusses his own efforts to follow the Quaker testimonies (think “virtues”) such as peace, simplicity, integrity, etc.—the ways he succeeds and the ways he falls short. Often his accounts are illustrated by conversations with Jesus, who reiterates teachings from the gospels in a casual, chatty style, directed privately to the author.

It’s an easy book to read, presenting the author as a likeable, somewhat clumsy, not-always-bright ol’ homeboy just trying to get along as god would have him go about it. Periodically, the narrative breaks long enough for the author to insert queries for his readers to consider. (Reflecting on“queries” is a Quaker practice of meditating on questions that, with thought and some divine inspiration, may lead us to be wiser and better people.)

One question troubled me throughout the book: who was it written for? Not, I think, for other Quakers (of which I am one). Often it seemed like it was meant to be an introduction to the Quaker life for those unfamiliar with it. Much supplementary material in the appendices (like a glossary of Quaker terms) would suggest that is the intended audience, but if so, it’s purpose is confusing and seems to shift around. I finally decided I enjoyed the book most when I simply thought of it as a somewhat self-indulgent memoir from the perspective of a writer who is having a good time reflecting on his “stumbling” efforts to behave himself, and that someone else (let’s pretend it’s not the author) has come along and annotated the text with queries and occasional explanations about Quakerism.

As a Quaker, my favorite chapters were the first and last. The first chapter considers the role of silence in the author’s life and many of the things that compete with silence. The last chapter considers humor and silliness. The author makes the point in a number of ways that we cannot be whole people, embracing and contributing to the goodness of the gifts of life, without a good dose of playfulness. I think he is right, and Quakers have not thought about this enough.

Two things about the book greatly interfered with my enjoyment of it. I could make my peace with the author’s very casual voice, which reads as spoken rather than written, though I found it a bit precious and distracting. But the spelling was over the top: “wanna” for “want to,” etc. I wish the author’s editor had held him more in check on this front. Second complaint is that, at least in the epub version I read, the endnotes for each chapter were not numbered and not referenced to any place in the text except the chapter as a whole. This was enormously frustrating, and will make me unlikely to purchase another book from Abingdon Press (whose fault I assume it is).
(less)
Lauren
Feb 24, 2017rated it it was ok
The tone of the book is very folksy and I found it hard to take any clearly focused ideas from. The quotes and queries included were helpful, though.
Jeanie
Nov 23, 2015rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Yikes, I really wanted to like this one. The title was compelling and I am amazed by those that live in simplicity and grace. I would agree with the author that living in simplicity brings peace that our hearts grave.

I am not sure since I received an ARC or if it was intentional but in referring to the God, it was always god. Now there were a few times it wasn't but I am under the impression that it was. If it was, it brings up a red flag to the reason why that was done.

The book was written in question format to cause the reader to think and to receive which I embrace but I found that answering the questions, it became about what I can do... Can I listen, Are my words, If I, What I believe,... ...I start on the treadmill of despair when I much rather be humbled about who God is. It becomes another book about me centered .... What can I do, What I need to do, etc. instead of God centered. By God centered, I mean the cross and the plan of redemption to make all things new including me. The gratitude I have is because of what Jesus did. I want more of that gratitude that transforms.

In fairness, this is a conversation of Bill's experience and shortcoming. It is meant to be light and he has a desire to connect to his readers. I just did not.

Some of the quotes I found encouraging.

Peace is a process to engage in, not a goal to be reached. The task will never be done indeed.

Peacemaking is action - love in action.

We believe a simple life makes peace more possible.

A Special Thank you to Abingdon Press and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.

(less)
Gloria
Apr 13, 2016rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-spirit
Brent Bill has a wonderful sense of humor and a pleasing Midwestern tone to his writing (pleasing because I live in the Midwest, too!). This is a spiritual guide that is for all faiths. He continues to help non-Quakers better understand Quaker values, and this is also a prod to readers to examine what we value and live accordingly.

At times, he may be working a bit too hard to make Quakers seem like ordinary people as opposed to Amish-like (which they are not at all). Likes to talk about his love for high-end cars and a vast music collection, for example. That said, this is an engaging and highly accessible message that will prompt readers to examine how we treat the earth and our fellow travelers.
 (less)
Jason Stanley
Jul 07, 2016rated it liked it
This is a good, funny read. Bill's sense of humor oozes out of the pages, making the book bearable. It is, however, another spiritual memoir in what is becoming a crowded shelf of such books.

While Bill describes himself as a "bad" Quaker, he provides insight into the Quaker faith. Along the way he offers lessons learned from his faith that are indeed helpful things to live a better life. For example, Bill highlights the virtues of being quiet, integrity, and caring for creation. 
(less)
Susan Walker
Mar 18, 2016rated it liked it
I knew nothing a out Quakers when I started this book. I was interested that the Author, a Quaker Minister, shared the practices and beliefs of Quakers.