2026/10/09

돈 없는 삶 | 브루더호프: 극보수주의 공동체의 내부 | ENDEVR Documentary - YouTube

A Life Without Money | Bruderhof: Inside an Ultra-Conservative Community | ENDEVR Documentary - YouTube



A Life Without Money | Bruderhof: Inside an Ultra-Conservative Community | ENDEVR Documentary
718,038 views  Sep 30, 2026  
#ENDEVR #FreeDocumentary #bruderhof
===
With unique access to this historically private community, which has lived outside of mainstream society for over 50 years, this film follows one young resident who is questioning her future. The Bruderhof was founded in Germany and has communities in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Paraguay, and Australia. Everyone has a job, but no one earns a salary, and none of the children watch television, use social media, play video games, or even have a mobile phone.

This documentary holds a mirror up to modern life, with its consumerist concerns, high crime and deprivation rates, and looks at this community’s simple and arguably utopian way of life, whilst exploring the personal cost and sacrifice required to live there.
===

다큐멘터리 <돈 없는 삶 | 브루더호프: 극보수주의 공동체의 내부>(A Life Without Money | Bruderhof: Inside an Ultra-Conservative Community)의 요약과 평론입니다.

<돈 없는 삶 | 브루더호프: 극보수주의 공동체의 내부> 요약

다큐멘터리는 현대 소비사회의 불안과 고립에서 벗어나 100년 가까이 초대교회식 공동생활을 유지해 온 기독교 근본주의 공동체 <브루더호프(Bruderhof)>의 영국 서식스 다빌(Darville) 정착촌을 조명한다.

  1. 사유재산 철폐와 공동 생산 체제 브루더호프 구성원들은 사유재산을 일절 소유하지 않는다. 옷, 신발, 생필품은 공동 부서에 요청해 배급받으며, 주택과 주방도 여러 가정이 공유한다. 공동체는 어린이 가구와 장난감을 제조·판매하는 수백만 파운드 규모의 기업을 운영해 재정을 마련하지만, 구성원 개인은 급여를 한 푼도 받지 않는다. 돈, 빚, 모기지, 빈곤, 노후 걱정이 없는 삶을 통해 내적 평화를 추구한다.

  2. 철저한 절제와 규율의 일상 스마트폰, 텔레비전, 비디오 게임, 소셜 미디어 등 외부 미디어는 철저히 통제되며, 아이들은 자연 속에서 대면 놀이와 교육을 받는다. 여성들은 몸의 곡선이 드러나지 않는 수수한 전통 복장과 스커트를 입고, 남성 역시 단순한 셔츠와 바지를 착용하며 유행을 배격한다. 주 6일, 하루 두 번씩 300여 명의 주민이 모여 식사, 찬송, 예배를 함께한다.

  3. 외부 세계로의 여정과 선택권 공동체는 맹목적인 세습을 지양한다. 태어나 자란 청년이라도 만 18세가 되면 바깥 세상으로 나가 독립적인 삶을 경험해야 하며, 21세가 되어야 종신 서약을 선택할 자격이 주어진다. 주인공인 18세 여성 한나(Hannah)는 자신의 소명을 찾기 위해 런던 페컴(Peckham)으로 떠난다.

  4. 현대 사회와의 충돌과 자발적 귀환 런던에서 청소년 복지 활동을 시작한 한나는 소비주의, 군중 속의 고독, 돈과 행정을 스스로 책임져야 하는 냉혹한 현실을 목도한다. 개인의 진로와 야망을 펼칠 기회가 있지만, 동시에 극단적인 개인주의와 공허함을 체감한다. 과거 8년간 세속 사회를 경험하고 복귀한 하디(Hardy)처럼, 한나 역시 외부 사회의 피상성을 겪은 뒤 "자신보다 더 큰 대의에 헌신하는 공동체의 기쁨"을 확신하며 공동체로 돌아가겠다는 결심을 굳힌다.

평론: 현대적 소외의 거울인가, 자발적 예속의 유토피아인가

이 다큐멘터리는 현대 자본주의가 초래한 구조적 불안에 날카로운 질문을 던진다. 현대인이 겪는 대출금 상환, 노후 빈곤, 사회적 고립, 스마트폰 중독과 비교할 때, 브루더호프의 무소유와 상호부조는 일견 완벽한 도피처이자 평화로운 안식처로 보인다. 돈을 제거함으로써 물질에 대한 집착을 지우고 이웃 사랑이라는 신앙적 가치를 지상에서 구현하려는 시도는 분명 강력한 울림을 준다.

그러나 이 평화 뒤에는 막대한 개인적 희생과 엄격한 대가가 전제되어 있다. 공동체 내부자는 "이곳은 민주주의가 아니며, 상부의 지시에 따라 거주지를 옮겨야 한다"고 솔직히 인정한다. 또한 성소수자에 대한 배제, 가부장적 성역할 고착(주방, 세탁, 탁아 등 가사 노동의 여성 편중), 개인적 직업 야망의 원천 봉쇄 등은 현대 자유주의적 인권 기준에서 볼 때 명백한 한계다.

주목할 지점은 이들이 폐쇄적 컬트(Cult)의 전형적인 감금 방식을 택하지 않는다는 점이다. 청년들을 강제로 런던 한복판으로 내보내 바깥세상의 차가움과 소비주의적 공허를 직접 맛보게 한 뒤, 스스로 '자발적 귀환'을 선택하도록 유도한다. 이는 현대 사회의 파편화와 불안이 얼마나 극심한지를 역설적으로 증명하는 대목이다. 청년들이 바깥세상의 무한한 자유보다 공동체의 엄격한 통제 속에서 느끼는 소속감과 안정감을 더 가치 있게 여길 만큼, 현대 문명의 결핍이 심각하다는 방증이기 때문이다.

결국 브루더호프는 인류 보편의 대안이 될 수는 없는 극단적 분리주의 신앙 공동체이지만, 무한 경쟁과 소외로 점철된 현대인에게 진정한 자유와 연대란 무엇인가를 성찰하게 만드는 강력한 거울 역할을 충실히 수행하고 있다.

===

제1부.  내용 요약

1. 다큐멘터리의 배경
브루더호프(Bruderhof)는 1920년 독일에서 에버하르트 아르놀트가 창설한 기독교 공동체 운동이다. 초기 기독교의 재산공유와 형제애를 현대사회에서 실현하려는 것이 목적이다.
다큐멘터리에 따르면 세계 23개 공동체에서 약 3,000명이 생활한다. 구성원들은 개인적인 급여를 받지 않고, 공동체가 주거와 식사, 의복 등 생활에 필요한 것을 제공한다.

2. 돈 없이 사는 경제생활
브루더호프 주민들은 농장, 공장, 학교, 주방 등에서 일한다. 그러나 개인은 임금을 받지 않는다.
공동체는 가구와 장난감 등을 생산하여 외부시장에 판매한다. 따라서 브루더호프는 돈이 없는 사회라기보다 개인의 경제생활을 공동체가 책임지는 사회이다.

3. 해나의 이야기
다큐멘터리의 중심인물 해나(Hannah)는 브루더호프에서 성장한 젊은 여성이다.
그녀는 자신의 신앙과 생활방식을 자유롭게 선택하고 있는지 확인하기 위해 런던으로 떠난다.
런던에서 처음으로 돈을 관리하고, 은행계좌를 만들고, 직장을 구한다.
그녀는 개인적인 자유의 매력을 발견하지만, 동시에 경제적 불안과 사회적 고립도 경험한다.
외부사회를 경험한 해나는 결국 브루더호프로 돌아간다. 그녀는 개인적인 성공보다 공동체에 대한 헌신과 소속감에서 더 깊은 삶의 의미를 발견했다고 설명한다.

4. 제1부의 핵심
다큐멘터리는 브루더호프를 단순히 이상적인 유토피아로 묘사하지 않는다. 경제적 안정과 공동체적 연대를 얻는 대신 개인의 선택권을 제한하는 생활방식이라는 점도 보여준다.
여기서 중요한 질문은 경제적 평등과 공동체적 소속감을 개인의 자유와 어떻게 조화시킬 수 있는가이다.

제2부.  사회학적 분석과 비판
5. 경제적 평등과 개인의 자유
브루더호프의 가장 독특한 특징은 경제적으로는 급진적인 평등주의를 실천하면서도 문화적으로는 매우 보수적인 질서를 유지한다는 점이다.
구성원들은 개인재산과 임금을 포기하고 공동체의 필요에 따라 일한다. 이는 초기 기독교의 재산공유 전통에 기초하지만, 사회주의의 는 원리와도 유사하다.
그러나 공동소유가 반드시 평등한 권력관계를 보장하지는 않는다.
공동체의 재산을 누가 관리하는가? 노동의 배치와 생활규범은 누가 결정하는가? 구성원들이 지도부의 결정에 반대할 수 있는가?
다큐멘터리는 공동체의 합의와 헌신을 강조하지만 이러한 권력관계를 충분히 조사하지 않는다.

6. 뒤르켐의 관점: 공동체적 결속
에밀 뒤르켐(Émile Durkheim)의 사회학으로 보면 브루더호프는 강한 집합의식(collective conscience)을 가진 공동체이다.
구성원들은 신앙, 노동, 식사, 예배, 생활규범을 공유하면서 강한 소속감을 형성한다.
이는 현대 개인주의 사회에서 나타나는 고립과 아노미(anomie)를 줄이는 데 도움이 될 수 있다.
그러나 강한 집합의식은 개인의 차이를 인정하기 어렵게 만들 수도 있다. 공동체의 가치에 동의하지 않는 사람에게는 동일한 결속이 억압으로 작용할 가능성이 있다.
해나가 외부사회를 경험하고 돌아오는 과정은 이 두 측면을 보여준다.

7. 베버의 관점: 신앙의 제도화
막스 베버(Max Weber)의 (routinization of charisma) 개념도 브루더호프를 이해하는 데 유용하다.
창립자 에버하르트 아르놀트와 초기 구성원들은 자발적으로 재산을 포기하고 공동생활을 시작했다.
그러나 공동체가 여러 세대에 걸쳐 유지되면서 처음의 자발적인 헌신은 일상적인 규칙과 전통으로 정착했다.
창립세대에게는 혁명적인 선택이었던 생활방식이 그곳에서 태어난 어린이에게는 당연한 사회질서가 된다.
여기서 중요한 질문이 발생한다.
공동체 안에서 성장한 사람이 공동체를 선택한다는 것은 어느 정도까지 자유로운 결정인가?
해나는 런던에서 외부사회를 경험한 후 브루더호프로 돌아온다. 그러나 이러한 경험만으로 모든 구성원에게 충분한 선택의 자유가 보장된다고 결론지을 수는 없다.

8. 성별 역할과 공동체의 권위
다큐멘터리에서 특히 흥미로운 부분은 여성들의 전통적인 의복과 노동 분업이다.
브루더호프 여성들은 단순한 옷차림을 유지하고 자녀 양육과 가사노동에서 중요한 역할을 맡는다.
이들은 그러한 생활을 공동체에 대한 봉사라고 이해하며, 반드시 억압으로 느끼지는 않는다고 말한다.
그러나 개인이 전통적인 성별 역할을 선택하는 것과 공동체가 특정한 역할을 기대하거나 요구하는 것은 다르다.
다큐멘터리는 여성들의 설명을 소개하지만, 여성들이 실제로 중요한 결정에 얼마나 참여하는지, 전통적인 역할을 거부할 자유가 얼마나 있는지는 충분히 밝히지 않는다.
따라서 브루더호프의 성평등 수준에 대해서는 더 많은 조사가 필요하다.

제2부의 종합 평가
브루더호프는 현대 자본주의의 경쟁과 소비주의를 거부하고 강한 공동체적 연대를 실현하려는 중요한 사회적 실험이다.
그러나 경제적 평등과 공동체적 소속감이 개인의 자율성까지 보장한다는 뜻은 아니다.
이 공동체를 평가할 때 가장 중요한 기준은 구성원들이 얼마나 행복하게 생활하는가뿐 아니라, 공동체의 규범에 반대하거나 떠나고 싶은 사람도 존중받을 수 있는가이다.
제2부 끝.

제3부.  퀘이커와 브루더호프의 비교 및 종합 평가
9. 브루더호프와 퀘이커의 공통점
브루더호프와 퀘이커는 모두 16세기 유럽의 급진적 종교개혁 전통과 연결되는 기독교 운동이다. 다만 퀘이커는 17세기 영국에서 발생했고, 브루더호프는 20세기 독일에서 재세례파(Anabaptist)와 후터라이트(Hutterite)의 전통을 계승하면서 형성되었다.
두 운동에는 중요한 공통점이 있다.
첫째, 평화주의이다. 두 공동체 모두 예수의 가르침을 따라 전쟁과 폭력을 거부하고 평화로운 삶을 추구한다.
둘째, 검소한 생활이다. 물질적 소유와 소비를 삶의 중심에 두는 태도를 비판한다.
셋째, 신앙의 실천이다. 신앙은 교리적인 동의에 머물러서는 안 되며 일상생활과 인간관계에서 구체적으로 나타나야 한다고 생각한다.
넷째, 공동체의 중요성이다. 개인적인 영적 경험뿐 아니라 다른 사람들과 함께 살아가는 방식 자체를 신앙의 일부로 이해한다.
그러나 이러한 공통점에도 불구하고 두 운동은 개인과 공동체의 관계를 상당히 다르게 조직한다.

10. 재산공유와 경제적 평등
브루더호프와 현대 퀘이커의 가장 큰 차이는 재산소유의 문제이다.
브루더호프는 공동체에 대한 완전한 헌신의 표현으로 개인재산을 포기하고 재산을 공유한다.
반면 현대 퀘이커는 대체로 개인재산의 소유를 인정한다. 경제적 평등과 사회정의를 강조하지만 개인재산의 포기를 신앙생활의 필수적인 조건으로 요구하지는 않는다.
이 차이는 중요한 질문을 제기한다.
퀘이커는 평등과 검소함을 강조하면서도 현대 자본주의의 재산제도와 소비생활에 어느 정도 적응해 왔다.
그렇다면 퀘이커의 평등 증언(Testimony to Equality)은 경제적 차원에서 얼마나 철저하게 실천되고 있는가?
브루더호프는 이 문제에 매우 급진적인 대답을 제시한다.
그러나 재산의 공동소유가 반드시 사회적 평등 전체를 의미하지는 않는다. 공동체의 재산을 관리하고 노동을 배분하는 사람들에게 권한이 집중될 가능성도 있다.

11. 개인의 양심과 공동체의 일치
퀘이커와 브루더호프의 더 근본적인 차이는 개인의 양심을 이해하는 방식에서 발견된다.
퀘이커는 모든 사람 안에 신성한 빛이 존재한다는 믿음을 바탕으로 개인의 영적 경험과 양심을 존중한다.
특히 자유주의 퀘이커는 서로 다른 신앙적 견해를 가진 사람들이 함께 예배하고 분별하는 과정을 중요하게 생각한다.
브루더호프에서도 개인의 자발적인 신앙적 결단을 강조하지만, 공동체의 일치를 유지하기 위해 공통된 생활규범과 신앙적 헌신을 더욱 강하게 요구한다.
여기서 중요한 것은 일치와 획일성의 차이이다.
일치는 서로 다른 사람들이 깊은 대화와 분별을 통해 공동의 결정을 찾아가는 과정일 수 있다.
그러나 일치가 모든 사람이 동일한 생각과 생활방식을 가져야 한다는 의미로 바뀐다면, 개인의 양심을 억압할 위험이 있다.
퀘이커 역시 공동체의 일치를 추구하기 때문에 이러한 위험에서 완전히 자유롭지는 않다.

12. 공동체가 개인에게 요구할 수 있는 것
브루더호프의 가장 중요한 사회학적 문제는 개인과 공동체의 관계이다.
공동체는 구성원에게 경제적 안정, 일상적인 상호부조, 강한 소속감, 삶의 목적을 제공한다.
그 대신 구성원은 상당한 개인적 자유를 포기한다.
직업 선택, 재산소유, 소비생활, 의복, 가족생활 등 많은 영역에서 공동체의 규범이 영향을 미친다.
이러한 생활방식이 자발적인 선택이라면 종교적 자유의 한 형태로 존중할 수 있다.
그러나 공동체에서 태어나 성장한 사람이 다른 생활방식을 선택하기 어려운 상황이라면 문제가 달라진다.
특히 경제적 자원이 없는 사람이 공동체를 떠날 때 어떤 도움을 받을 수 있는가는 매우 중요한 문제이다.
다큐멘터리는 해나가 공동체 밖에서 생활한 뒤 다시 돌아오는 과정을 보여주지만, 탈퇴자의 경제적 독립과 장기적인 적응 문제까지 충분히 조사하지는 않는다.

13. 종합 평가: 공동체와 자유의 딜레마
===
Transcript
===

Chapter 1: Introduction to Bruderhof
0:055 secondsAt a time when British society [music] faces everinccreasing challenges, there's a hidden community in the
0:1212 secondsEnglish countryside who seem to have found the answer [music] to a harmonious life.
0:1919 secondsI come from a village where there's no rich and no poor and [music] everybody shares everything.
0:2626 secondsThere's no crime, debt, or homelessness.
0:3030 secondsNone of the children have mobile phones, use social media, or watch television.
0:3636 secondsI don't have a mortgage to pay. I don't have a pension. I don't have to worry about any of that.
0:4141 secondsI've never been so free in my [music] life living here.
0:4545 secondsThey are the Bruderhof, a radical Christian movement whose members have traveled from across the [music] world to live in their own village, Darville
0:5353 secondsin Sussex. It's a pretty crazy way we live. I mean, it's it's definitely not normal and we all know that. [singing]
1:061 minute, 6 secondsThere's [music] nothing. [singing] Now, this private community has decided
1:131 minute, 13 secondsto let the cameras in to experience their way of life.
1:181 minute, 18 secondsAnd as one of the residents contemplates her future, I have to kind of decide where am I going to go with my life? Do I want to become a [music] member of the Bruter Hoof? Do I want to do something else?
1:291 minute, 29 secondsWe'll [music] find out what price members here have to pay to live in their modernday utopia.
Chapter 2: Life in the community
1:421 minute, 42 secondsMorning [music]
1:461 minute, 46 seconds[bell]
1:521 minute, 52 seconds[bell]
1:561 minute, 56 secondsbroken.
2:062 minutes, 6 secondsWhy don't you put that bag on the wagon?
2:102 minutes, 10 secondsBernard Hibbs [music] first came to Darville almost 30 years ago.
2:152 minutes, 15 secondsHe met his wife Rachel here and they have three children.
2:242 minutes, 24 secondsThe purpose [music] of the brid is to follow Jesus as closely as possible and it's based on Jesus's teachings in the sermon on the mount.
2:322 minutes, 32 secondsIf you read the gospels, Jesus sets out how followers of his will live and what their lives will look like. And we
2:402 minutes, 40 secondsbelieve [music] that the right thing to do is to put those values into place here and now and not just wait for some
2:482 minutes, 48 secondsfuture [music] glorious kingdom to come, but rather try and live like we think that kingdom would be like. There's no reason to wait. [music] You know, we may
2:572 minutes, 57 secondsas well at least start. And things like caring for each other, doing [music] away with status, sharing your possessions. Those are really easy
3:043 minutes, 4 secondsstarts to make because we doubt there's going to [music] be money in heaven. So why not just do away with it here?
3:113 minutes, 11 secondsBetter not be money in heaven. It's such a huge disappointment.
3:183 minutes, 18 seconds[singing and music]
3:213 minutes, 21 secondsThe Bruderhof has almost 3,000 members in 23 settlements worldwide.
3:273 minutes, 27 secondsmembers move between them and it can be a transient life.
3:323 minutes, 32 secondsPeople move around within our community as families grow or shrink or more people arrive. In the time I've been living in Darville, probably lived in
3:413 minutes, 41 secondsabout 30 different houses like Bernard's. Each of the 55 families live communally and nobody owns
3:483 minutes, 48 secondsanything. This is our living room where we spend a lot of time together and each family here has their own living room because it's vitally important to have family time together.
4:014 minutes, 1 secondSo this is our kitchen. We share this with three families. My parents live down the hall and then there's a young couple next to us with a 3-month old
4:094 minutes, 9 secondsbaby. And so we all use this kitchen together. We have supplies that we need for cooking that we go and get from our stores department.
4:184 minutes, 18 secondsand we share a refrigerator.
4:224 minutes, 22 secondsPeople have labels on their shelves if they want. These aren't my things. I don't buy them. I own absolutely nothing. I don't even own my clothes. We have a department that buys clothing.
4:344 minutes, 34 secondsSo, if I want another jacket, uh like this jacket, I simply said, "Could I have a black jacket to wear when the weather's cold?" We get our shoes in the
4:424 minutes, 42 secondssame way. You simply write a note to the clothing department and I'll get given a pair of shoes a few hours later. So, it's like sort of same day shopping.
4:534 minutes, 53 secondsA century old movement, the Brudhoff [music] members follow a strict dress code with some of the ladies and children's wear being made on site by the sisters.
5:035 minutes, 3 secondsThat's for [music] night wear, children's little dresses [music] and nighties. And then these are kind of for people that fear Leon.
5:175 minutes, 17 secondsWe don't want a slinky kind that will show your figure.
5:225 minutes, 22 secondsIt says in the Bible, we should not try and attract attention to ourselves, especially for the opposite sex.
5:315 minutes, 31 secondsAnd be modest.
5:365 minutes, 36 secondsThe community buys everything it needs through a multi-million pound business they own, making and selling children's toys and furniture.
5:455 minutes, 45 secondsMost people expect when they hear about us to see sort of lines of monks chiseling away on bits of wood, but it's not true. It's a It's a big business.
5:565 minutes, 56 secondsThe factory provides work for the majority of the community, but not one person earns a wage. I've never had a paycheck in my life.
6:056 minutes, 5 secondsBut I I don't like to brag, but I've perhaps worked harder than most people.
6:106 minutes, 10 secondsI don't need any money. Everything is provided within the community, so money isn't really necessary.
6:176 minutes, 17 seconds[music]
6:186 minutes, 18 secondsBeyond the factory, the residents also work on the farm, in the school, and operate [music] the kitchen and laundry, which is run on an industrial scale.
6:296 minutes, 29 secondsWe're 300 people and only four washing machines. So, our laundry machines basically run all day. I sometimes even
6:386 minutes, 38 secondsdream about working in the laundry at night, washing and folding people's clothing.
6:456 minutes, 45 secondsWhile the rest of the UK struggle to get a family of four around the dinner table here, over 300 people regularly come
6:526 minutes, 52 secondstogether to eat, sing, and worship twice a day, six days a week.
6:586 minutes, 58 seconds[singing]
7:007 minuteswhich is generous [singing] of labor.
7:107 minutes, 10 secondsYou do a lot of singing, don't you, Bernard?
7:127 minutes, 12 secondsWell, I personally don't do a lot of singing cuz I have probably the worst voice on the whole brut. But yes, the brut is a pretty musical place. Singing
7:207 minutes, 20 secondslightens the heart and makes you feel better. We happy.
Chapter 3: Seeking a calling
7:347 minutes, 34 secondsHannah and her family have lived in the Bruderhoff for three generations. She came to the UK aged nine and now she's
7:427 minutes, 42 secondsapproaching adulthood. She's questioning her faith and future.
7:467 minutes, 46 secondsI'm not a member yet and I could only become a member when I turned 21. So, I'm I'm too young anyhow. But now that
7:537 minutes, 53 secondsI'm 18, I'm thinking about it because joining the [music] community would be a big deal, like a lifelong commitment.
8:008 minutesOne reason that I wouldn't just join the Bruter Hope is because it has to be something that's more than just traditions. It can't just
8:078 minutes, 7 secondsbe a thing that I grew up doing, so I'm happy with it and it's comfortable and this is how we did this. We've always done this, so this is what we're going to do because that makes no sense to me.
8:158 minutes, 15 secondsThere's no there's nothing real about that. It's just it's dead. It's in the past. There's no point in doing something halfway.
8:238 minutes, 23 secondsjust because that's what grandpa did.
8:268 minutes, 26 seconds[laughter]
8:278 minutes, 27 secondsIt's true.
8:288 minutes, 28 secondsI'd have to be convinced that Jesus is going to lead us on that it's not going to be a human thing, it's not going to be traditions, but that it's going to be led by Jesus. But I think if you
8:378 minutes, 37 secondsactually really want to know what you want to do in life and you pray about it, like this big calling that everyone talks about is Jesus telling you.
8:468 minutes, 46 secondsA calling is a [music] Christian term describing a divine moment giving purpose to people's lives. The Brudahhoff seek it before [music] committing to the community.
8:578 minutes, 57 secondsYoung people have to search for that [music] calling. I was mystified. How would I know when I'm I'm called? And yet through seeking suddenly it became
9:059 minutes, 5 secondsclear that this [music] was the way that I wanted to spend the rest of my life.
9:089 minutes, 8 secondsTo me it was a feeling of of inner peace. Like the peace that you feel on a beautiful spring [music] day sitting in the woods doing nothing and you have no
9:179 minutes, 17 secondsworries anymore and no fears anymore. To me that was the most incredible experience [music] of my life.
9:289 minutes, 28 secondsBernard [music] committed to this life as soon as he was able and has never doubted his decision to raise his family here.
9:359 minutes, 35 secondsTo have my kids raised outside of what people deem to be in the mainstream, I think is perfectly fine. I mean, we've been raising children in the Brdo for 100 years.
9:489 minutes, 48 secondsThe thing I resist the most for my children coming in is individualism. I don't want my children to grow up in a in a world where they're always thinking about themselves and what they want or
9:569 minutes, 56 secondswhat they need. Um, I want my children to grow up thinking about other people.
10:0110 minutes, 1 secondI don't feel a need to cram my children's rooms with toys because they have so much more. They spend most of their time playing outdoors.
10:1210 minutes, 12 secondsBernard had to accept the Brudhoff's back to basics lifestyle when he moved to Darville as a nine-year-old boy. When
10:1910 minutes, 19 secondswe first visited as a family, the first thing my parents did is started singing at breakfast and then got rid of our television.
10:2610 minutes, 26 secondsSo, those are the two mind.
10:2910 minutes, 29 secondsNot really. Actually, look at this. I'll show you something interesting. It's the front of the spectator this week. Yeah. Or whatever it is.
10:3610 minutes, 36 secondsWhat's it trying to tell you? Time to switch your iPads off. Oh, I see.
10:4010 minutes, 40 secondsTime to switch off. Look, he's looking at um an iPad. What's a iPad?
10:4610 minutes, 46 secondsIt's like a big phone or a small computer. And children these days spend a lot of time using iPads.
10:5210 minutes, 52 secondsChildren here don't have access to the internet. They don't have a smartphone.
10:5510 minutes, 55 secondsThey don't play video games. And I think that's a I think it's a good thing. I think a lot of a lot of sort of social media is very isolating. You know, you
11:0311 minutes, 3 secondscan sit in your bedroom and play computer games or maybe play with someone who's a thousand miles away, but I think kids should be doing stuff with their with their friends face to face.
11:1311 minutes, 13 secondsAged 13, Esther is the oldest of Bernard's children.
11:1811 minutes, 18 secondsOther people that are your age, what do you imagine they like doing in their bedrooms?
11:2311 minutes, 23 secondsI mean, they'll probably be on their phone most of the time or doing, I don't know, other things or watching telly.
11:3011 minutes, 30 secondsUm, I don't know. But we don't have those things.
11:3511 minutes, 35 secondsDo you feel that you miss those things at all?
11:3711 minutes, 37 secondsNo, I I don't think I missed them because I've never I've never had them, so I don't know what to miss.
11:4911 minutes, 49 secondsSo, all the European countries started developing trade routes to go into the far east. We have
11:5611 minutes, 56 secondsthe children are schooled by the budahhof [music] and although they do have some contact with the outside world, it's not until adulthood that they are encouraged to
12:0512 minutes, 5 secondsleave and explore life in mainstream society.
12:1012 minutes, 10 seconds[music]
Chapter 4: Leaving for London
12:1212 minutes, 12 secondsIn search of her calling, Hannah has decided to do [music] just that.
12:1612 minutes, 16 secondsSwapping the green fields of Darville for inner city Pekkham.
12:2412 minutes, 24 secondsI want to go to London to get [music] an experience away from the Bruter Hoof. At this point, it's basically all I've
12:3212 minutes, 32 secondsreally known, but it has [music and clears throat] to to be more than like a safe and protected way of life. Also, because now that I'm an
12:4112 minutes, 41 secondsadult, I have to kind of decide where am I going to go with my life. Do I want to become a member of the Bruter Hoof? Do I want to do something else? And if I stay in the Brut, I won't know what my other options are.
12:5512 minutes, 55 seconds[music]
12:5712 minutes, 57 secondsWhat do you think you're searching for?
12:5912 minutes, 59 secondsUm, the same thing everyone else looks for in life, fulfillment. I mean, everyone needs that, right? You have to be fulfilled somehow.
13:1113 minutes, 11 secondsI've heard other Christians saying things like, "God told me to come to London and work for homeless people." And I'm like, "Gee, that must be nice.
13:1913 minutes, 19 secondsGod told you. That makes it really simple, doesn't it? I mean, just like God tell me what to do and I'll happily go do it. Just just don't leave me
13:2813 minutes, 28 secondshanging here. [laughter] Like wondering what I should be doing. But yeah,
13:3513 minutes, 35 secondswith no money of her own, Hannah is collecting the train fair from the Bruderhoff treasurer.
13:4213 minutes, 42 secondsShe's also been given a small allowance to survive until she finds a job.
13:4813 minutes, 48 secondsHey, I wrote a note for some money for my trip up. Do you have that? Yes, I do. I've got up here. There you go. There it is. Thank you.
13:5613 minutes, 56 secondsHave a great time up there. Yeah, it should be cool.
14:0614 minutes, 6 secondsIt's Hannah's [music] last night with her parents. Let's give thanks.
14:1214 minutes, 12 secondsGod, thank you for this opportunity for Hannah to go to London. and we know you will protect her and lead [music] her
14:2014 minutes, 20 secondsand we thank you for this food and ask your blessing. Amen.
14:2514 minutes, 25 secondsMom Ruthie and dad Mark understand the challenges of the journey she is about to take.
14:3114 minutes, 31 secondsAnd it was only a few years ago that I shot off from home on a 18-hour bus ride or something crazy. Grief.
14:3914 minutes, 39 secondsYeah. Down to South Carolina. And I ended up finding out that I was going to go right into work with no training. That was tough, I'll admit.
14:5014 minutes, 50 secondsBut it's those tough times that end up being the good times. I learned to pray real fast.
14:5714 minutes, 57 secondsYeah. I think it's exciting.
15:0015 minutesWhen you start really praying and you really are looking for answers, you suddenly start seeing them.
15:0715 minutes, 7 secondsYou're going to meet a lot of people who live very different lives, but that doesn't matter.
15:1515 minutes, 15 secondsGod works in many colors. Mhm. I hope you learn humility. You can never be too humble, right?
15:2415 minutes, 24 secondsAnd I hope you learn to depend completely on God.
15:3515 minutes, 35 secondsWe do not want our communities and our commitment [music] here to be something that is an automatic for a child growing up here. That would be bad. That's why
15:4315 minutes, 43 secondswe want her to have this chance to be away. Take this opportunity if you like.
15:4815 minutes, 48 secondsCommitment is not a popular thing. It's always just a little bit scary. There's
15:5515 minutes, 55 secondsan unknown down the road. And that [music] decision we will leave entirely to her.
16:1216 minutes, 12 secondsFor most of the Bruder Hoff, the working [music] day begins at 6:00 a.m.
16:2016 minutes, 20 secondsBut for Hannah, [music] this could be the beginning of her new life. It will be the first time she's lived away from home.
16:2916 minutes, 29 secondsOkay, H.
16:3216 minutes, 32 secondsI do know what Hannah's searching for because [music] it's the same thing that everyone searches for and that is to fill the void in themselves [music]
16:4116 minutes, 41 secondswhich can only be filled I think by God and Jesus.
16:4716 minutes, 47 secondsI'll need a [music] single to London Bridge.
16:5216 minutes, 52 secondsUsed to a village of 300 life in the city will be a challenge.
16:5716 minutes, 57 secondsTo aid the transition, she will initially live in a small Brutderof residence in [music] Peekom.
17:1017 minutes, 10 secondsIt's kind of strange to now think that [music] this is going to be home, but doesn't look like home, but it will get there.
17:2117 minutes, 21 secondsIt's too peoplely out there. [music] Yeah, it's another world.
17:2917 minutes, 29 seconds[music]
17:3217 minutes, 32 secondsWe are house parents uh here in Pekkham for the young people.
17:3917 minutes, 39 secondsWhen they first arrive, [music] you know, they're often shell shocked.
17:4517 minutes, 45 secondsWe're no longer strolling through the countryside. We are now [music] in a big city.
17:5217 minutes, 52 secondsNothing can prepare them for what they're actually going to meet each [music] day. Lots of people, the traffic, these things take time to adjust to [music] from the country.
18:0318 minutes, 3 secondsThis is it.
18:0618 minutes, 6 secondsI'm feeling [music] hopeful and excited and nervous and everything else. And I don't even know what I'm feeling.
18:1118 minutes, 11 seconds[laughter]
18:1318 minutes, 13 secondsIt's definitely a new feeling, but it's kind of like before I started high school. I was nervous. I was worried.
18:2018 minutes, 20 secondsBut I was also ready to move on. And it's the same [music] now.
Chapter 5: Navigating modern society
18:3018 minutes, 30 secondsOnly 56 mi [music] south, life couldn't be more different.
18:3818 minutes, 38 secondsI think you have days where where you question your faith and you ask yourself, you know, did I really need to commit my entire life to, you know,
18:4718 minutes, 47 secondsradical Christianity? But if you ask me, I couldn't live anywhere else.
18:5318 minutes, 53 secondsHardy is 26. He moved to the UK in 2010.
18:5818 minutes, 58 secondsLike Hannah, his path to commitment was not always clear.
19:0319 minutes, 3 secondsI grew up with the Ruterhoff. As a child, you know, the Bruderhoff is is paradise. It was a great place to grow
19:0919 minutes, 9 secondsup. Absolutely loved it. Of course, as I grew older, um you know, you hit your teenage years. Um
19:1819 minutes, 18 secondsdefinitely I had the mentality grass is greener, you know, away from the community. We don't have our own technology. We don't watch television.
19:2719 minutes, 27 secondsSo for a young teenager, that's that's a big deal. You know, you you see what everyone else has and you're like, man,
19:3519 minutes, 35 secondsit's it's rough here. So yeah, I would say I became a bit of a disturbance. I guess you could call it rebelliousness.
19:4319 minutes, 43 secondsJust basic teenage behavior.
19:4619 minutes, 46 secondsSo by mutual consent, my family decided to take some time away from the community and that was done totally with the Bruderhoff's blessing.
19:5619 minutes, 56 secondsHardy and his five siblings left when he was 14. At the time he felt life outside the community would be better.
20:0420 minutes, 4 secondsWhen I first left the community, I was surprised by the way a lot of people live. A lot of things which I didn't feel were good were normal. So, in a
20:1220 minutes, 12 secondsway, you could say our children aren't adequately prepared for that.
20:1620 minutes, 16 secondsYou you definitely have to make an adjustment. Um, it's it's not easy to move from a place where a lot of things are are done for
20:2520 minutes, 25 secondsyou to a life where you're on your own and you have to figure it out. [music]
20:3320 minutes, 33 secondsIn London for only a short time, [music] it's immediately apparent to Hannah how different her life has been. I kind of
20:4020 minutes, 40 secondsfeel like almost [music] from a different time zone, you could say. It's not that I'm old-fashioned. It's more that like imagine [music] that someone
20:4820 minutes, 48 secondsfrom Middle Ages shows up in London and in stays like Middle Ages, [music] stays in those clothes, stays in that like way of life.
20:5920 minutes, 59 secondsI kind of feel like a foreigner, but it's [music] it's different than that.
21:0321 minutes, 3 secondsIt's like I'm still from England. I'm still British. I'm also just from a really different way of living.
21:1021 minutes, 10 secondsLiving independently, Hannah now has control of her life and finances for the first time.
21:1821 minutes, 18 secondsGoing to a shop to buy food or whatever is very different from Darville cuz I never had to do that there.
21:2421 minutes, 24 secondsIt feels strange to have money in my pocket. I never needed to have money so I never had it.
21:3221 minutes, 32 secondsGrowing up, I would walk past the shops and you just kind of like look at the stuff and you know, okay, you're not going to buy it because you don't have the money. And now I have the money and
21:4021 minutes, 40 secondsI can. It's also a responsibility. It's not a lot of money and I can't just go spend it on anything. Thank you very much.
21:4621 minutes, 46 secondsThank you. Thank you.
21:5121 minutes, 51 secondsWhilst the city offers Hannah endless possibilities, the realities of modern life are beginning to dawn on her. I'm
21:5821 minutes, 58 secondskind of excited, but to be really honest, I'm freaking nervous, too.
22:0222 minutes, 2 secondsYeah, kind of exciting.
22:0522 minutes, 5 secondsI mean, like, that's everything that I've never done before, which is crazy.
22:0922 minutes, 9 secondsI mean, like, even just like the basic things like setting up a bank account, getting a job, buying a phone, like basic stuff that everybody else has
22:1622 minutes, 16 secondsdone or they've seen their parents doing growing up and I've never done. I'm probably going to screw that all up. I
22:2422 minutes, 24 secondsdidn't have to worry about it before, but like I don't want to just like come running back for help as soon as I run out of money cuz that's a bit pathetic.
22:3822 minutes, 38 secondsHannah [music] has taken a job as a youth worker, giving her an opportunity to further explore life outside [music] the Bruderof.
22:4622 minutes, 46 secondsThese are inner city kids. They've come from such a different place than I have.
22:5122 minutes, 51 secondsThey've grown up on these estates with 0% green space compared to where I come from.
22:5822 minutes, 58 secondsIt's made me really thankful for some things that I didn't even realize I had.
23:0423 minutes, 4 secondsIt's the first job Hannah's ever had and she's having to learn some very different skills. This is the hard part. Yeah, that's when it gets hard. Correct.
23:1223 minutes, 12 secondsYou press A to pass. Yeah. You hold B. You can shoot. Press it once. And then you score. It is a huge change.
23:2123 minutes, 21 secondsI've never played a PlayStation before, so I'm not very good at it, [laughter] but I'm learning quickly.
23:2823 minutes, 28 secondsI'll have to beat them by the end of the year. It was really close.
23:3423 minutes, 34 secondsThat was bad news. I don't know what to do.
23:3823 minutes, 38 secondsI like the job is giving Hannah a chance to see what children outside her world dream of. Do you like school?
23:4523 minutes, 45 secondsI love school. Even when you're six, I love it. I love to learn and I love and I love to play my friend school today.
23:5323 minutes, 53 secondsI was surprised the other day at an estate one kid they told me they wanted to be a marine biologist. He's 9 years old. So I was like whoa
24:0124 minutes, 1 secondit's really impressive their their aspirations because you see where they're coming from an estate in London but like
24:0924 minutes, 9 secondsthe fact that they still want to follow a dream like this is incredible.
24:1324 minutes, 13 secondsAnd does that make you question what your future holds for you? Yeah, it kind of does.
24:2024 minutes, 20 secondsAs a kid, I wanted to be a ranger in the Catskill Mountains, but if I was at the Bruder Hoff now, I would be cleaning probably [laughter] or in the nursery.
24:3324 minutes, 33 secondsIf I would commit to the Bruter Hof, it would limit my future.
Chapter 6: Sacrifice and tradition
24:4024 minutes, 40 secondsA decision to return to the Bruderhof would mean Hannah would give up [music] many personal freedoms that most take for granted.
24:4824 minutes, 48 secondsIt's definitely a life where you have to sacrifice [music] things and ambition is one of those things you have to sacrifice. You know, if you want some
24:5524 minutes, 55 secondshighpowered career, the Bruter House is not going to be the place for you.
25:0025 minutesThere are only [music] a few types of job available here and the domestic duties are predominantly undertaken by [music] the female members. People often
25:0825 minutes, 8 secondscome to the brut and they see a certain sort of gender segregation in our work and they want to ask about it but to us no one's being paid and it's really not
25:1625 minutes, 16 secondsa big deal which jobs men do and which jobs women do. You know, there's no benefit in any of those jobs.
25:2225 minutes, 22 secondsHave you ever questioned the divisions of roles based on gender?
25:2625 minutes, 26 secondsYes, as a as a young woman um as a teenager, I definitely questioned them.
25:3125 minutes, 31 secondsAnd as I grew older, I learned to understand more deeply the significance of why it is that we do what we do here.
25:3925 minutes, 39 secondsAnd I've learned to understand it and appreciate it um deeply. And um I've never been so free in my life living
25:4525 minutes, 45 secondshere. And it's it's because we are under no pressure as women to conform to anything other than, you know, to follow
25:5325 minutes, 53 secondsChrist. And we do that in a in a free way by taking care of our kids, taking care of other people's kids, you know,
26:0026 minutesdoing laundry, um, chopping vegetables, whatever is in the kitchen. And we we have our roles perhaps just because they're traditional roles of women and it's not a bad thing.
26:1126 minutes, 11 secondsIt's a wonderful thing and I I appreciate it and I'm thankful for it.
26:1726 minutes, 17 secondsIt's not just career choice that Hannah would forfeit. Committed members lose the right to make many decisions affecting their own lives.
26:2526 minutes, 25 secondsIs the community a democracy?
26:2726 minutes, 27 secondsNo, the community is not a democracy and we wouldn't want it to be that because it would waste just a mass amount of time. People move where they're told. People move around internationally.
26:3826 minutes, 38 secondsSo, it's a way of life where you have to be willing to give up that sort of stuff or you shouldn't come and join.
26:4426 minutes, 44 secondsMany decisions dictate life across every one of the 23 communities, such as restrictions on same-sex relationships and set rules on what the ladies wear.
26:5526 minutes, 55 secondsSo, these are my wife and I's clothes.
26:5826 minutes, 58 secondsThe women wear a skirt and a shirt normally. The men wear a pair of trousers and a shirt. And um we try to
27:0527 minutes, 5 secondsavoid fashions of any sort. uh the way the women wear, the dresses they wear probably look quite old-fashioned, but
27:1227 minutes, 12 secondsthat's because they wear a similar style of clothes as they always wore. And so if they look like peasant dresses from
27:2027 minutes, 20 secondsthe 1920s, that's because we used to be peasants in the 1920s.
27:2427 minutes, 24 secondsBut what you're wearing isn't like a peasant in the 1920s. Um, [snorts] well, actually, I mean, I'm not I don't know
27:3127 minutes, 31 secondstoo much about style choices of peasants in the 1920s, but I think is actually the relentless focus on women's fashion
27:3927 minutes, 39 secondsis what makes our women look maybe outdated. It's just because that's where fashion makes its money. And for some
27:4727 minutes, 47 secondsreason, men are just not a bigger fashion target as women are till the skinny jeans came along.
27:5427 minutes, 54 seconds[snorts]
27:5627 minutes, 56 seconds[music]
28:0128 minutes, 1 second[music]
28:0628 minutes, 6 secondsIs it the kind of stuff that you would wear?
28:0828 minutes, 8 secondsNo, it's not the kind of stuff I'd wear.
28:1328 minutes, 13 seconds[laughter]
28:1628 minutes, 16 secondsWhat would you wear?
28:1728 minutes, 17 secondsSomething that's functional. I mean, like, what's the point of this? There's like nothing in the back. It's just No.
28:2928 minutes, 29 secondsCan't you just see me in this? Not.
28:4028 minutes, 40 secondsI guess one thing I've experienced is how empty life can be and you kind of replace
28:4828 minutes, 48 secondsyou fill that emptiness with stuff. It is bizarre because it's just so unnecessary.
28:5428 minutes, 54 secondsI just can't understand why you would bother. Like, why would you use your hard-earned money to buy just excess amounts of stuff?
29:0629 minutes, 6 secondsThese ones just look hilarious.
29:0829 minutes, 8 seconds[laughter]
29:1329 minutes, 13 secondsOnce in our little community in Germany, we were all sitting around in the evening and we were giving each other haircuts like whack quack [laughter] quack with a big pair of sewing
29:2029 minutes, 20 secondsscissors. And one of our friends is there like from the neighborhood and she was like, I just paid €50 for that.
29:2829 minutes, 28 seconds[laughter]
29:3129 minutes, 31 secondsThat's awesome.
29:3429 minutes, 34 secondsHannah's met with other Brutoff women living in London who are also questioning life in mainstream society.
29:4029 minutes, 40 secondsI think women often don't realize how enslaved they are by consumerism and how absolutely binding it is.
29:4929 minutes, 49 secondsThat's what and and it's often even hard to make um genuine relationships with people when they're so fixated on lifestyle and on appearance.
29:5729 minutes, 57 secondsI wear like the most old-fashioned like kind of modest Christian clothes, but I don't know, maybe I'm like one of the
30:0430 minutes, 4 secondslouder like wilder ones. [laughter] I have to say I'm not entirely identified by my by what I wear.
30:1230 minutes, 12 secondsFor me, like it just makes a simple statement to the world about who I am and what people can do to me. It says something about what I believe in. And
30:2030 minutes, 20 secondsMhm. Yeah. Well, I think a lot of it is what other people perceive. Like other people think, oh, they're oppressed or, oh, they they just have to listen and
30:2830 minutes, 28 secondsthe men have all the same. But that's totally not how it is. It's not how it is.
30:3130 minutes, 31 secondsSo, like changing how we are doesn't make sense because at this point, like we're not oppressed.
Chapter 7: Reflection and choice
30:4930 minutes, 49 secondsHannah's now [music] been away from the Bruderov for a month and her parents want to hear how she's getting on. So Han, how are you enjoying city life?
30:5830 minutes, 58 secondsAre you settling in and things going okay? Oh, I'm getting used to it. You don't love it yet?
31:0531 minutes, 5 secondsUm, no. I miss like trees and country and there's a lot of people here.
31:1131 minutes, 11 secondsSometimes too many. But there's some things that are nice. I just can't think of what right now.
31:1831 minutes, 18 secondsI guess I find myself alone as in like with not with anyone that I know a lot more of the time than I used to.
31:2731 minutes, 27 secondsI don't mind being alone.
31:2931 minutes, 29 secondsIt's just alone in a huge crowd of people kind of thing.
31:3431 minutes, 34 secondsWe pray for you all the time. Of course you knew that.
31:3731 minutes, 37 secondsDo you miss me then? Of course we miss you. Yeah, we miss you every single day, hen.
31:4331 minutes, 43 secondsWe're gonna have to go to get ready for the afternoon, but we love you tons. Hey, have fun. Yeah, I love you tons. Bye.
31:5131 minutes, 51 secondsBye-bye. Love you.
31:5631 minutes, 56 secondsIt's only the start of her year away, but Hannah has already formed a strong impression of the world outside.
32:0732 minutes, 7 secondsSometimes I think to myself, how [music] could there be like the Brutder Hope and London in the same world?
32:1532 minutes, 15 secondsAnd up here in London, it's like the attitude to life is just so different.
32:2032 minutes, 20 secondsEveryone is [music] just trying to improve themselves and their life or the life of their family.
32:2732 minutes, 27 secondshave been flipping lonely and just like trying to find ways to fill my time that are also like meaningful.
32:3632 minutes, 36 secondsI just feel useless [music] if I spend like the entire morning just doing stuff for my own benefit.
32:4432 minutes, 44 secondsAll the members of the Bruter Hoof have committed their lives to a cause.
32:5132 minutes, 51 secondsThere's that that meaning that like purpose that makes you get out of bed in the morning.
33:0133 minutes, 1 secondLike if it wasn't for my faith, if it wasn't for Yeah. I guess if it wasn't [music] for my faith, I would see no point in life.
33:1633 minutes, 16 secondsIt's not important at all that all [music] the children who grew up here join the community. In fact, if everyone joined the community, it would probably
33:2433 minutes, 24 secondsmean that we're doing something [music] wrong. I like it that, you know, 20 30% of young people find some other calling outside of the [music] community. I think that's a good thing. I think it's healthy.
33:3433 minutes, 34 secondsAre there some [music] members who would talk negatively about their experience in Brut? There's definitely people who have left over the years who are unhappy
33:4233 minutes, 42 secondswith [music] the brutal ho. I think it's important to know that, you know, the brut has changed. [music] The 1940s, 1950s, the community didn't have any
33:5033 minutes, 50 secondsmoney. Maybe didn't give people the support they needed. Times are different now and we have to apologize and try and find forgiveness for that.
33:5933 minutes, 59 secondsHardy, [music] why did you come back?
34:0134 minutes, 1 secondWhat brought me back was I I never felt the same sense [music] of belonging anywhere else.
34:0834 minutes, 8 secondsSome people might say that that you were running away from real life by moving [music] back here. What would you say to that?
34:1734 minutes, 17 secondsI don't think the Bruterhoff is an escape from reality. We're not trying to get away from all [music] the terrible things in the world. I think from a
34:2534 minutes, 25 secondsselfish point of view, I I would probably be happier living elsewhere. I knew it [music] would take sacrifice.
34:3134 minutes, 31 secondsI knew I had to give up what I wanted to do with my life. giving up my career, my [music] ambitions, my dreams of what I could become.
34:4134 minutes, 41 secondsBut I was willing to make that sacrifice in order to find that peace which I found in this community.
34:5434 minutes, 54 secondsSlow down. Wait for mom.
34:5834 minutes, 58 secondsMy parents only returned just 2 years ago.
35:0335 minutes, 3 secondsSo they were away from the community for eight years. So I came back with my younger brother as well and the other four are living away from the community.
35:1435 minutes, 14 secondsI don't feel like I'm [music] a better person because I chose this way of life. I think same for them.
35:2535 minutes, 25 secondsPeople have asked us is the Bruthof a cult [music] and I can emphatically say no. A cult forces its members to stay.
35:3435 minutes, 34 secondsOur community, we literally boot our children [music] out when they're 18 and say, "Go and try something else."
35:4235 minutes, 42 secondsPeople will probably think our way of life is a bit strange. Um, it's certainly very different. We have no problem realizing that. Um, but the boys
35:5035 minutes, 50 secondsalso just see that it's normal people uh trying to live a decent way of life. Do you have control in your life?
35:5835 minutes, 58 secondsIt depends what you mean by control.
36:0036 minutesThere's a certain order to life in community and I think that's that's a good thing. It's a wholesome thing. It's about living a disciplined life which is important.
36:1236 minutes, 12 secondsYou can see star and moon and sun and candle.
36:2636 minutes, 26 secondsthroughout the landing. [singing] We're not a utopia. We We've still got work to do.
36:3736 minutes, 37 secondsI think we've definitely figured out ways to overcome a lot of difficulties which people in society are facing.
36:4636 minutes, 46 seconds[singing]
36:4736 minutes, 47 secondsThe brut works because everyone here has given up absolutely everything to follow Christ.
36:5336 minutes, 53 secondsI think as many people are looking for a different way of life and a different way of life as possible.
37:0237 minutes, 2 secondsSeeing the emptiness in people's lives, seeing how messed up society is, I have realized the value in community, the joy
37:1237 minutes, 12 secondsin committing your life to something bigger than yourself. It makes you flipping happy cuz you have so it's not just you anymore.
37:1937 minutes, 19 secondsMy heart's telling me to finish this year off and get my butt back in Norville.
37:2737 minutes, 27 seconds[singing]
37:3437 minutes, 34 secondsfor those who are inadvert.
37:4437 minutes, 44 seconds[singing]
37:5237 minutes, 52 seconds[singing]