2019/01/18

How to Be Led by the Holy Spirit: 7 Steps (with Pictures)



How to Be Led by the Holy Spirit: 7 Steps (with Pictures)


How to Be Led by the Holy Spirit
Author Info|Reader-Approved

Paul said in Acts 23:1 that he always followed his conscience. "Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, 'My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day'."[1]


And in I Timothy 4:2 Paul said that a sign of the last times is that people would not follow their conscience: "paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,..." (I Timothy 4:2)[2]




EditSteps


1
Recognize that the primary way that God will lead you is through your conscience and the Bible (Romans 8:14-16, John 17:17). Even Jesus followed His conscience (Mark 2:8).


2
For your conscience to be a good guide, you must avoid associating with sinners or it will contaminate your spirit (2 Corinthians 7:1).


3
Ask God for Guidance (Jeremiah 33:3, James 1:5, John 16:13).


4
Be still (Psalms 46:10).


5
You must be able to perceive the No's before you actually get guidance (I Corinthians 14:10, Acts 16:6-7, Acts 27:10). Paul says that there are many voices in the world and they all have their significance. There is the voice of diet, exercise, education, mastering a trade, but what is God telling you to do? When I perceive a "No", I usually do not feel good inside and God is trying to warn me that If I proceed, there will be danger or failure.


6
The next type of leading is when God is silent. This is where I do not have any leading in my conscience. God is saying, "Wait it is not His timing or it is not His will." In I Kings 13, the younger prophet lost his life when he proceeded without a leading from God.


7
The next type of leading is the green light where I feel joy or peace or God's presence. This is God saying, "Yes" and sometimes it comes with a revelation as to what to do (like Acts 16 and Acts 27), you just know supernaturally what to do inside your conscience.







Community Q&A

Question
What can I do for my mind to be focused only on things of God?


wikiHow Contributor
Community Answer
Read the word of God day and night and desire God with all your might. There are going to be times you when feel like giving up, and these feelings of doubt will start to come up, but humble yourselves, and do not stop.
Not Helpful 1Helpful 19
Question
How do I get away from doubt?


wikiHow Contributor
Community Answer
For Christians, the only thing God in Triumvirate requires of you is to have faith. On a practical level, that starts with the understanding that doubt has no reality except in thoughts alone; and that thoughts are only that, and are not what you are or what value you have. Only you can determine, acknowledge, and let go of thoughts that disturb you. Practice thinking that affirms and supports you. Reading, studying and community with others in faith is your path.
Not Helpful 3Helpful 22
Question
I can't feel guilt when I sin anymore. How do I heal my conscience?


wikiHow Contributor
Community Answer
Pray about it. The more you strive not to sin, the more you won't want to.
Not Helpful 1Helpful 12
Question
What can I do if I am always feeling like I am far away from God?


Vanessa600
Community Answer
Pray! When you meet someone for the first time and you are interested in being friends then most likely you would speak to that person on a regular basis so that you could get to learn more about the individual, and if the communication stops, then the relationship weakens. Likewise is our relationship with God. By praying constantly and reading and meditating on his word, we will be able to build a strong relationship with him. So whenever you feel far away from God, just pray!
Not Helpful 0Helpful 6
Question
How would I know if God is talking to me? I ask him to actually speak to me, but he won't. And is it ok if I learn his word through videos instead of reading the Bible?


Spicy_icy
Community Answer
God speaks to us today through his word, the Bible. This is the major way he uses, and sometimes he uses humans too. It is very important to confirm everything learned, even from videos, in the Bible, because it isn't false or deceptive, neither is it misleading.
Not Helpful 1Helpful 10
Question
I want to have a strong desire to read the bible, but when I do I don't get an excitement or willingness to continue. Any tips?


wikiHow Contributor
Community Answer
The feeling or desire of the Holy Spirit comes and goes in periods -- not one is better than the other, they're just feelings. The important thing for you is to keep praying, keep trying. Being a Christian on your own is difficult. Find a church, and go often. Christianity is a community -- we need each other. At church we read, listen and talk about the bible together, and it is much easier than trying to do it on your own all the time.
Not Helpful 2Helpful 13
Question
How can I understand the word of God and get revelations?


wikiHow Contributor
Community Answer
There is nothing in this world that can make you understand. Only God can work through the Holy Spirit and work through you. Pray to God daily, praying that he will reveal Himself to you, and you will surprised at how he may answer. Talk to your pastor or a spiritual counselor you may have. Once you get who God is, you can dive into the Word and find out who He is and just how great his love is for you.
Not Helpful 2Helpful 12
Question
Do I need to be in the Church of Christ to be saved?


wikiHow Contributor
Community Answer
No, you just need to accept that Jesus Christ is your lord and savior and that he is the one true God. You need to admit that you sin (do bad things), repent, and ask forgiveness.
Not Helpful 4Helpful 14
Question
Is being led by the spirit and waiting on the Lord part of the same concept?


TreeofHolz
Community Answer
Yes, this is all a part of the same concept, as the Holy Spirit (Spirit of God), Jesus (Lord, Son) and God (Father) are all apart of the Trinity. To "be led" does not always mean to move, sometimes it means to wait until He prompts. Romans 8:14 "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God." Psalm 114:10 "Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground."
Not Helpful 2Helpful 8