2020/12/04

Tracy McMillian - I read Shiva Ryu's inspiring story,류시화 Shiva Ryu 대학 졸업반 때의 일이다.

(12) Tracy McMillian - I read Shiva Ryu's inspiring story, so...



Tracy McMillian
12 May 2017 ·



I read Shiva Ryu's inspiring story, so beautifully written that I was tempted to translate it into English.
______________________________________________________

I was a senior in college when my friend told me there’s a cheap room for month-to-month rent in the Gyung-gi province. Trusting him fully, I rented the room. Though part of a decrepit apartment building managed by some religious sect, the room offered a sunny, separate space once the door was closed. There was a narrow trail in the vicinity through the trees stretching out to the Han River, which seemed to be a gift from God given to a person who studied literature.

My happiness, however, didn’t last long. As a long-haired stranger who wore a long black coat in summer (well, the room was pretty cold) was strolling around on their sacred ground, mumbling nonsense like a lunatic (I was reciting poems), people started to cast a suspicious look on him. Then one day, several of the believers rushed into my room. As if touching on the floor would be an act of impurity they stepped into the room without taking off their shoes and demanded I should vacate the room right away.

I explained to them politely that I had a right to stay for a month as I’d already paid the rent. I also added – almost pleaded - I liked the place so much that I wanted to live there as long as possible. I also revealed that I was a poet, which only aggravated the situation. Mistaking a poet for a god, believing I said I was a god**, the agitated folks started to shout, “Shoo, you satan, go away,” one woman barking at me, her finger pointing upward, to fear God.

The word “satan” stabbed through the heart of a literature major whose only assets were just a few poems. Eventually I left the place without getting my refund back for the rent I'd paid. With their arms crossed, those people had watched me until I left. Though I was aware it was a mistake in the first place to plunge fearlessly into a religious community to take my residence, I nevertheless felt as though I were banished from the world.

Yet I was not completely forsaken. As I was trudging down a rural path, not knowing where to go, I ran into a friend who was also a member of the drama group I belonged to. He happened to live nearby. He seemed a bit alarmed by me who was wandering around with an army blanket and a bundle of books, which was pretty much out of place in his neighborhood. After listening to the whole story, however, he took me to his place, gave me water to drink, then went out to find a place for me to stay.

In the wake of his efforts, I could rent at a cheap price a warehouse situated in the middle of a field by the river. Living a good distance away from the village, I didn’t have to worry about being shunned by the locals. I even felt relieved at the fact that I had a friend living nearby. I had no problems living there save for my reliance on candlelight at night due to the absence of electricity. I spent my evening staring at the wick of a burning candle or writing something, and my daytime taking long walks.

The summer monsoon had arrived soon thereafter. Dark clouds hung over the slate roof of the warehouse before heavy rain started to fall in the evening. The din of the rain kept me from sleeping. I went outside in the middle of the night and got absolutely freaked out. At a little distance, the river was rapidly rising from the downpour, likely looking to sweep away the field and the warehouse any minute. The white water was gleaming frighteningly through the complete darkness.

Anxiety began to creep in everything in my life. With graduation approaching soon, I was dreaded by the uncertainty of my future, feeling that the life ahead of me would be as tough as the one I’ve already lived. Surprisingly though, fallen to the rock bottom of my life, amidst my extreme anxieties and despair, the person who had ultimately saved me was none other than myself. Standing in front of the warehouse, watching the river increase in height, I suddenly thought to myself, “ I am a poet, ain’t I!”

Indeed. What else would be more befitting for the poet than writing to the rhythm of the rain under the fluttering candlelight? Only the poet could face the unearthly light glimmering from the river in the depth of the night; only the poet wouldn’t mind being soaked in the rain without worrying about catching a pneumonia. In her book “Writing Down the Bones,” Natalie Goldberg defined the writer “a fool in the rain.” While others run away from the rain covering their heads with an umbrella or newspaper, poets foolishly think it’s no big deal being drenched in the downpour.

Santiago, the protagonist in Paulo Coelho’s “The Alchemist”, dismisses his parents’ advice to become a priest and sets out a journey after abandoning his goat herding to find the treasure he saw in his dream. When he arrived in Tangher, Morocco, a thief stole all his money, which he made from selling his goats. Penniless in the strange city, he woke up angry and devastated, thinking of him as a victim.

But after a moment, he was able to see the situation from a different angle and realized that he was not a victim of theft, but an explorer travelling about to discover the treasure. While traveling, anything - including being robbed - could happen, and upon accepting this premise he could regain his will to continue his journey. He did not deny the reality of being robbed; he only refused to have the robbery wipe out his own identity.

We might be the souls who were forced to land in a strange planet. And life often throws at us something more threatening than robbery. Then, what's the secret to a fulfilling life in this scary place?

That very night, standing in the heavy rain, I recited poems aloud with my whole being. The moment I thought of myself as a poet - not a person with no place of his own nor a devil banished from the community, the raindrops that fiercely pattered my face, the corn leaves wildly dancing in the rain, the windowpanes covered with candle drippings, all seemed to be the blessings from God. That place was the best study God had prepared for me to work and enjoy. Then all my anxiety had vanished away. It also seemed that such a sublime moment was not granted upon any poets. Indeed, to love oneself is to love the world.

** Their misunderstanding can find its cause in the similar pronunciations of the two words: poet in Korean is pronounced as si-in while god as sin.


류시화 Shiva Ryu
12 May 2017


대학 졸업반 때의 일이다. 싼 월세방이 있다는 친구의 말만 믿고 경기도에 있는 종교 단체의 공동 거주지에 세를 들었다. 원룸 형태의 낡은 연립주택이었지만 방에 햇빛이 들고 문을 닫으면 완전히 독립된 공간이었다. 또 나무들 사이의 오솔길이 한강으로 이어져 있어서 문학을 하는 나에게는 신이 준 선물이나 다름없었다. 학교도 가지 않고 밤에는 시를 쓰고 낮에는 주변을 산책했다.

행복은 오래 가지 않았다. 장발을 한 낯선 자가 여름인데도 검은색 바바리코트를 입고(방이 추웠다) 자신들의 신성한 터전을 광인처럼 중얼거리며(시를 외운 것이었다) 어슬렁거리자 사람들이 의심스러운 눈초리를 보내기 시작했고, 마침내 이른 아침 신도 여러 명이 내 방으로 들이닥쳤다. 그들은 부정 탄다는 듯 신발도 벗지 않고 들어와서 나더러 당장 그곳을 떠나라고 요구했다.

나는 집주인에게 세를 냈기 때문에 한 달은 살 권리가 있다고 예의 바르게 설명했다. 그리고 이곳이 무척 마음에 들어 가능하면 오래 살고 싶다고도 간청하면서 나 자신이 시인이라고 밝혔다. 그것이 문제를 키웠다. 흥분한 그들은 '시인'을 '신'으로 잘못 알아듣고 급기야는 나에게 "마귀야, 마귀! 썩 물러가라!" 하고 소리치기 시작했다. 한 여성은 손가락으로 허공을 가리키며 하느님이 무섭지 않느냐고 윽박질렀다.

시 몇 편밖에 가진 것 없는 문학 청년에게 '마귀'라는 말이 비수처럼 꽂혔다. 결국 남은 월세도 돌려받지 못한 채 떠나야 했다. 내가 정문을 나설 때까지 그들은 팔짱을 끼고 서서 감시했다. 애초부터 잘못은 신앙 공동체 안에 겁없이 끼어든 이방인에게 있었지만, 세상으로부터 추방 당한 기분이었다.

그러나 신은 나를 완전히 버리지 않으셨다. 마땅히 갈 곳이 없어 시골길을 걷다가 연극부 후배와 마주쳤다. 그의 집이 그 동네에 있었다. 군인 담요와 책뭉치를 들고 배회하는 나를 보자 그는 약간 경계 태세를 취했다. 주변 풍경과 어울리지 않는 모습 때문이었을 것이다. 그러나 자초지종을 듣자 그는 자기 집으로 데려가 물 한 그릇을 먹이더니, 내가 세들 곳을 물으러 다녔다.

그리하여 나는 강변의 밭 한가운데 서 있는 창고에 싸게 세들 수가 있었다. 동네와 적당히 떨어져 있어서 사람들에게 또다시 배척 당할 일도 없고 부근에 후배까지 있어서 든든했다. 전기가 없어 밤에 촛불을 켜고 지내야 하는 것 외에는 큰 불편이 없었다. 밤에는 촛불의 심지를 들여다보거나 글을 쓰고 한낮에는 멀리까지 걸어다녔다.

이내 여름 장마가 닥쳤다. 먹구름이 창고의 슬레이트 지붕 위에 드리워지더니 저녁부터 비가 퍼붓기 시작했다. 빗소리에 잠을 이룰 수 없었다. 한밤중에 밖으로 나간 나는 기겁을 하고 놀랐다. 폭우에 급격히 불어난 강물이 금방이라도 밭과 창고를 삼킬 것처럼 저만치서 부풀어 오르고 있었다. 사방이 어두운데도 물빛은 무서울 만큼 희게 빛났다.

모든 것이 불안하기만 했다. 졸업을 앞두고 있었지만 살아갈 날들이 살아온 날들만큼 힘들게 느껴져, 무엇을 하며 어떻게 살아야 할지 앞이 보이지 않았다. 그때, 더 이상 밀려날 곳도 없는 극도의 불안과 절망 속에서 나를 구원한 것은 다름 아닌 나 자신이었다. 낡은 창고 앞에 서서 위협하듯 불어나는 강물을 보면서 나는 갑자기 생각했다. "나는 시인이 아닌가!" 하고.

그렇다, 빗소리를 들으며 촛불 아래 글을 쓰는 것은 시인에게 가장 어울리는 일이었다. 깊은 밤 홀로 강의 섬뜩한 빛과 마주하는 것도, 폐렴을 개의치 않고 비를 맞는 것도 시인이기에 할 수 있는 일이 아닌가. '작가는 비를 맞는 바보'라고 나탈리 골드버그는 <뼛속까지 내려가서 써라>에서 말했다. 폭우가 쏟아져 사람들이 우산을 쓰거나 신문으로 머리를 가리고 서둘러 뛰어갈 때 작가는 아무렇지도 않게 비를 맞는 바보라는 것이다.

파울로 코엘료가 쓴 <연금술사>의 주인공 산티아고는 성직자가 되라는 부모의 권유를 뿌리치고 양치기를 하다가 꿈에서 본 보물을 찾기 위해 여행을 떠난다. 그러나 모로코의 탕헤르라는 낯선 도시에 이르러 양 판 돈을 전부 도둑 맞는다. 낯선 시장에서 무일푼으로 잠을 깬 그는 화가 나고, 절망하고, 자신을 피해자라고 생각한다.

하지만 잠시 후 그 상황을 다른 각도에서 바라본 그는 자신이 도둑의 희생자가 아니라 보물을 찾아 여행하는 모험가라는 사실을 깨닫는다. 그럼으로써 그 상황을 보물을 발견하기 위해선 당연히 겪을 수 있는 과정으로 여기고 여행의 의지를 되찾는다. 도둑이 돈을 훔쳐 간 현실을 부정하는 것이 아니라 그 상황이 자신의 정체성을 흔들어 놓지 않도록 한 것이다.

삶은 때로 도둑보다 더한 것을 우리에게 선사하기도 한다. 우리는 낯선 별에 불시착한 영혼들인지도 모른다. 하지만 자신을 사랑하면 세상도 사랑하게 된다. 그 밤에 비를 맞으면서 나는 온 영혼을 다해 소리 내어 시를 외웠다. 신이 마련해 준 최고의 작업실이었다. 그렇게 생각하니 불안감이 사라졌다. 나 자신이 '오갈 데 없는 처지'라거나 '공동체에서 쫓겨난 마귀'가 아니라 시인이라고 생각하자 얼굴을 때리는 거센 빗방울이, 빗줄기에 춤을 추는 옥수수 잎이, 촛농이 떨어지는 창턱까지도 축복처럼 여겨졌다. 그런 경이로운 순간은 아무 시인에게나 주어지는 것이 아니라는 것도.


painting_Itsuko Suzuki



11

3 comments

Like

Share

Comments


류시화 Shiva Ryu I don’t know who you are, but your translation of my essay touches my heart. I appreciate it.
1
Manage


Like

· 3y

Tracy McMillian 깊은 메시지가 담긴 글이라 제 친구들도 읽었으면 하는 바램에서 영어로 번역했습니다. 결례가 되지 않기를 바랄 뿐입니다. 선생님의 영혼을 울리는 글들, 참으로 감사드립니다.
Manage


Like

· 3y
· Edited


류시화 Shiva Ryu 저의 페이스북으로 메시지 한번 보내 주시기 바랍니다.