2023/01/11

Unity and A Course in Miracles -Their Common Path to Spirit...


Unity and A Course in Miracles Understanding Their Common Path to Spiritual Awakening Paul Hasselbe

Unity of Dallas
554 subscribers

Subscribe

6


Share

319 views  Mar 20, 2017
Finally!!! A way to understand and align the teaching of Unity and A Course in Miracles.  Explore some of the similarities, distinctions as well as their synergy with Rev. Paul Hasselbeck, a leading authority on Unity Metaphysics.  Whether you are a student of Unity, A Course in Miracles or both, you are sure to learn something for your own spiritual awakening.
Key moments

View all
Transcript
Follow along using the transcript.

Transcript


0:01
[Music] my shoulder makes me happy
0:10
[Music]
0:17
my eyes candy crush
0:22
[Music]
0:29
on the water look so lovely
0:36
[Music]
0:42
also away get me if I
0:54
hey I could give you [Music]
1:01
you [Music] you day just like today
1:10
[Music]
1:16
hey song that I could stay for you
1:27
I'd say the song make you feel this way
1:41
my daughter's make me happy
1:48
[Music]
1:53
in my other and make each [Music]
2:05
on the water the snow stopped me away
2:20
get me my egg
2:29
a tale and I can tell you
2:37
I tell the tale you're to make you
2:48
[Music] wish I could wish for you
3:03
waiting for someone and all
3:09
[Music] God
3:15
[Music] make me happy
3:28
in my eyes and make me cry
3:39
on the water look
3:45
[Music] Oh get me
3:57
[Music]
4:04
almost all the time give me
4:09
[Music] Oh [Music]
4:32
thank you a dream of peace being spread
4:40
over the land amen and a dream of more sunshine Thank You Dina for all the
4:47
sunshine they're giving us today thank you so much that I heard someone say at
4:53
the village when you put aside your job and go into retirement then your
5:01
ministry really begins so as I introduced today with pleasure Reverend
5:08
dr. Paul hasselbeck I can definitely say that he fits into that category Paul was
5:14
the Dean of SCE education at unity village for over a decade and he had no
5:23
small part of me deciding on the ministry path my first torture fault
5:29
basically but my first class huh you're
5:37
my first class at the village was metaphysics with Paul bat way back in
5:43
the day 2010 and there's a couple common
5:48
themes they hear throughout the unity movement about Paul hasselbeck is they
5:55
say my favorite teacher in SCE was possible back and I'm like one of that
6:00
and the common kind of answer is what he really stretches you and I think you'll
6:06
be stretched today but certainly in your way of teaching classes inviting people
6:13
even in super encouraging people to have dialogue in the class even what some
6:19
might call a debate that happens in your classes so it's it's very exciting to be
6:25
in this classes so without further ado it is my honor to introduce Reverend dr.
6:32
Reverend Paul hasselbeck to the same
6:45
how are we going today yeah so uh yeah I used to be sort of a representative
6:52
going around the country for unity and I would give you greetings from the mother ship but I can still do that but I don't
7:00
call myself retired I say I'm job free now yeah and I'm sort of so this is
7:06
using your beloved ministers words for me I'm a hired gun that was that was a
7:15
great email sorry I hear you're a hired gun now okay I'll take that on so I do a
7:23
internet radio program every week called metaphysical romp to I co-host it with a couple friends of mine and we always
7:30
begin with this affirmation it's another beautiful day in my consciousness where you join me in knowing that let's say it
7:36
together it's another beautiful day in my consciousness let's add a little more
7:42
energy together it's another beautiful day in my consciousness yeah I can I can
7:49
see that can you see it your friends look around it is a beautiful day right yeah so I'm going to share today about
7:57
unity Course in Miracles short story I really started on my new thought pass with a course in miracles and because of
8:04
that i found a unity in san juan puerto rico and so let's get going so my
8:09
background was with Course in Miracles i love the teachings and when i got to
8:15
unity village to study become a unity minister i thought sure i find something
8:20
in the archives or in the library where someone actually invest at the time to
8:26
compare the two teachings but i couldn't find it and I kept wondering why that hasn't happened someone surely would sit
8:35
down and compare these where is it i wanted i want to find it why hasn't somebody done this and then after a
8:42
period of time a student came to study his name is bill Heller said co-author my book and
8:48
he came into my office one day to talk to me because I knew he knew I had this course in miracles background and we
8:54
were sharing and he said the same thing and I saw I've been I've been wondering that for years and he said well why
9:00
don't we do it together oh what a great idea because what I know and I want you
9:07
to know this for yourself is a basic thing that when you keep getting an idea
9:13
it's not for somebody else to do I know something you don't want to hear that
9:18
because we get these ideas and we want to go not me but remember Moses did that we did pretty well eventually so so if
9:26
you're having something that you're wanting someone else to do is probably yours to do so just step up for you
9:32
because they didn't gonna let's go so so we start this journey think it would
9:37
take us a year it took us eight eight years put those little puppy together so that's sort of the background the
9:44
overview we're going to go into you these five basic principles that's a good place to start so you're going to
9:49
get a review of that and a little different perspective and the same from courts and miracles it's important we
9:54
look at the distinctions between the two because they're not exactly the same and then some of the distinctions create a
10:01
synergy which is really important and we're going to wrap it up with just one
10:06
thing just one thing you do this one thing your life will be better are you
10:13
ready to rock because this is a rough okay here we go all right so I always like to begin with this because the most
10:19
interesting thing I discovered when I first walked in the doors of uni church besides feeling at home anybody feel
10:25
that feeling at home okay is that I realized that while I was sitting there
10:31
the minister wasn't expecting to force-feed me a belief system that that
10:37
she was telling me some ideas and she didn't want me to check my brain cell at
10:43
the door or my intellect outside she wanted to bring it in so we can learn something okay and so this is a quote i
10:49
found from Charles Fillmore and some of the unpublished works we have to develop in ourselves the capacity to know
10:55
ourselves right self-awareness self-knowing is key spiritual growth another can suggest
11:02
things which I'm going to be doing today and in my classes but we have to take the suggestion and apply it to our own
11:09
understanding so do you have your brain cell engaged today all right all right
11:15
we're going to rock so when we look at the course of miracles and you is a big picture they both use Christian
11:22
terminology if you look at our historic writings they the wonderful texts of Myrtle and Charles Fillmore and other
11:27
writers it we're very Christian in nature and we've got to really own that the other thing is is that both the
11:35
course and you to use male-centric language well what does that mean that means that references to God are usually
11:42
male but that doesn't mean that our founders or the course in miracles are
11:48
speaking about a male deity or a male God myrtle Fillmore famously said in
11:55
their book how to let God help you God is not a being with parts like a man I
12:01
think she winked their God is principal
12:11
neither male nor female so God in the
12:16
big picture is this this principle that we use to manifest our love life the
12:22
language in both sounds dualistic but they're really talking about a non-dualistic system that's why we say
12:30
there's only one power one presence so that that that means there's not an opposing devil or something against God
12:38
or against us but it also says that if there is only one power one presence tag
12:46
you must be it too right you got to be it because if you think you have a power
12:53
that arises and cept and separate from God then you're in a dualistic system you're with me yeah so when you read
12:59
that every Sunday claimed it and then the really cool thing is both use
13:05
affirmations and denials which is a major tool most of you probably know about affirmations and denials but in
13:10
case your new a denial is a statement where we renounce the power a
13:16
belief has over us or we're innate rear announced a power that we've actually
13:21
given to a belief or thought we no longer want so this is how we remove our ability of thinking so we can use an
13:28
affirmation to claim the thoughts and ideas we want to replace it this is how
13:33
we raise consciousness we raise consciousness by increasing the overall overall quality of our thoughts moment
13:41
by moment it so let's get going one power one presence I just talked about that in unity God is absolute good
13:48
everywhere present I didn't have room to put that long one and of course the miracles we read God is all in all in a
13:55
very literal sense all being is in Him who is all being so you can see it's
14:01
saying the same thing God is everywhere totally prison principle to in the
14:06
original form yours is difference actually like yours better but this is how it was originally written human
14:12
beings have a spark of divinity within them the Christ spirit within their very
14:18
essences of God and therefore they are inherently good I think Course in Miracles says the same thing that says
14:25
it's better deep in your mind the holy Christ in you is waiting your
14:31
acknowledgement as you did you know that that there is this Christ's presence
14:36
within you and it can force anything on you so you have to acknowledge it and
14:43
and what I don't like about the original unity statement folks it isn't a drop it
14:49
isn't a speck it isn't a wave it isn't a spark if God is everywhere totally
14:56
present then that divinity is totally present and available in consciousness
15:01
at the point of you it seems like a spark because that's all we're using
15:14
you guys are with it yeah okay third
15:19
principle human beings create their experience by the activity others of your thinking have you noticed that yeah
15:28
everything in the manifest realm has its beginning and thought everything in the
15:34
manifest realm has its beginning in thought corsa miracle says it this way
15:40
whatever thoughts you accept into your mind has reality for you it is your acceptance of that that makes it real
15:47
all thinking produces form at some level have you noticed that because that's really really important to get that our
15:55
stinking thinking gets us one result and our enlightened higher thinking gets us
16:01
another thought to me it's a no brainer which we really want to choose so let's
16:08
talk about prayer Judy says prayer is creative thinking that heightens the connection with God mind for me I
16:14
wouldn't call it a connection it heightens my awareness of God my prayer
16:20
heightens my awareness of you can never be disconnected from that which you are
16:27
let's say that again you can never be disconnected from that which you are you
16:33
can make it up that way you can act like you are you can think you're a spark but that doesn't nullify the truth and
16:40
therefore brings forth wisdom healing prosperity and everything good ah
16:46
there's that word prosperity you want to learn more about that there's a class
16:51
coming up okay very important okay it's so so it's from that awareness of our
16:57
divinity we can heal we can be more prosperous of course the miracle says it
17:03
this way to prayer must avoid the pitfall of asking to entreat ask rather
17:08
to receive what is already given to accept what is already there to accept
17:14
what is already there are you getting the theme going here it's already there you don't have to ask for you not to beg
17:20
for it you don't be a heavy don't have to be good to get it you're not going to use it lose it if you're bad it's there
17:27
that's what you are okay and the community we do not intrigued we're not
17:34
asking God we're moving to the awareness of God we're moving to the awareness of
17:39
our Nate divinity and claiming what is already true and then the last principle
17:49
knowing and understand that the laws of life also called truth are not enough have you noticed that I have a friend
17:58
who did talk it's entitled take my advice i'm not using it
18:06
right apparently some of you are
18:13
familiar with that right so so so I can
18:18
know lots of things but if I don't use it it's just babble a person must also
18:25
live the truth that he or she knows and folks you're here to know the truth and
18:30
use it right yeah and I'm getting a real sense of that in this congregation you're doing it in the ways in which
18:37
you're reaching out and helping each other of course in miracles a
18:43
theoretical foundation such as the texts provide is necessary yet it is doing the
18:48
exercises that will make the goal of the course possible so the course of miracles you have 365 lessons which are
18:55
designed to shift your consciousness which is the process of using the truth
19:01
you're learning about in the course of miracles and wait till you see why that
19:07
is so important so it's important we talk about the distinctions and one of
19:13
them is around the ego there is in in our common cultural knowledge today that
19:20
the ego is something bad and much of the writing of the courts in Miracles
19:25
actually supports that fact that says the ego is idolatry the sign this should
19:32
be sought the sign of a limited and separate self born in a body doomed to
19:38
suffer and to end its life is death pathetic isn't it to me wow wow and the
19:46
course emphasizes this because it's important we know about the downside however unity hat does have a teaching
19:54
that's that way it's called the adverse ego and this is how Fillmore talked about it when the ego attaches itself to
20:00
sense consciousness that means when we have an outer orientation instead of an
20:05
inner and have an outside instead of an inside-out way of living this is known
20:10
as the adverts ego it is the adverse Eagle that causes all the trouble in the world not only in the world folks but in
20:18
you in your consciousness you see we're always afraid about what we're going to
20:24
put out because we're going to get it back you're too late what you put out is
20:30
already in I mean isn't it what you put out is already in and every time you put
20:37
it out you're reinforcing it in your consciousness by the law of Mind action he stopped however unity has another way
20:51
to look at the Eco I called the supportive ego and so more said this the
20:56
eye the ego is man you guys humankind and by reason of his divinity Craig
21:03
you've got it now that your Divine Right by reason of his divinity he makes and
21:08
remakes as he will you notice you do that you can remake and remake your life
21:14
until you get it the way you want it and this lie has greatest strength and its greatest wilk weakness the ego of itself
21:21
is possessed of nothing it is a mere ignorant child of innocence floating in
21:28
the mind of being see the ego isn't something separate out there it's just a
21:35
belief system in your consciousness and your consciousness is in the oneness of the mind but through the door of it
21:42
through the door of the egos consciousness or that part of you that thinks it's an ego must pass all the
21:52
treasures of God what does that say without your ego you'd be like a boneless chicken
22:00
just flopped over that fence now who
22:05
here wants to be a boneless chicken all right you need you need your ego I can't
22:12
get up here you can't do your beautiful singing we need our egos we just need to
22:18
get rid of that adverse part and this is an important one around the body God did
22:24
not make so this is from a course of miracles God did not make the body because of the body it is destructible
22:32
and therefore it is not of the kingdom the body is the symbol of what you think you are it is clearly a separation
22:39
device and therefore does not exist that's almost a bigger downer as the ego of course in here comes right what this
22:46
doesn't exist oh okay but the important thing is there is that God doesn't make
22:53
the body and in traditional religions God made the body there's something
22:59
similar though in unity the body is the outer expression of consciousness the
23:04
precipitation of the thinking part of man not the precipitation of the
23:11
thinking part of God God created the idea of the body of man is a
23:17
self-perpetuating self-renewing organism which man reconstruction to his personal
23:22
body God creates the body idea i would say god is the body idea or divine idea
23:30
and man by thinking makes it manifest see consciously or unconsciously we are
23:36
manifesting our physical body God is the idea we're using to do that so when you
23:43
need God is involved of course the miracles not at all so there's the quite
23:49
important distinction there and then let's talk about the synergy so in unity
23:58
the most focus is on developing Christ consciousness and the tool we use that
24:05
is called the 12 powers which I'm going to be teaching next week how we use
24:11
these 12 innate abilities to raise our consciousness to raise the overall
24:16
quality of our thoughts ideas and beliefs and images we hold in mind the course of miracles is focus on on
24:23
undoing the eCos belief system so I would say the undo the adverse ego now
24:30
unity talked about the adverse ego but emphasis on is on Christ consciousness
24:35
courts of miracles talks about getting rid of the adverse ego but there is
24:42
plenty of teaching about raising consciousness so you can see within each having a different emphasis working
24:49
together might be a helpful thing and then we get to nothing else matters if
24:55
you do just this one thing astrology
25:00
doesn't matter karma doesn't matter even
25:06
your beliefs don't matter past life's don't matter whatever if you believe in
25:15
in making these arrangements with others before you come in none of that matters if you do this one thing and this is the
25:24
thing I love the most about both because it will make your life simple are you
25:31
ready for simple unity says it first
25:37
this way be the best you can be the best Christ you can be of course the miracle
25:43
says everything is either love or a call for love everything is either love or a
25:48
coffle love what does that mean that means that no matter how anybody is interacting with you they're either
25:56
expressing love to you or in an indirect unskillful way asking you to love them
26:04
so if someone is showing up in a way you don't like underneath that they're
26:10
really saying please love me now that is simple because if everything is either
26:17
an expression of love or a call for love then what are we called to do
26:23
oh okay our ego wants to say well with James I have to be this way with Deena I
26:30
have to be this way with you I have to be that way and with you oh my god only want to be with you you know what I'm
26:36
saying right right simple I love this so
26:47
let's let me type of connection better so in unity we'd be looking at scripture and we know from Matthew in two places
26:54
you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your mind and you know now what
27:01
you're loving is your capital s self your divinity this is the greatest and
27:06
first commandment and a second one is like it you shall love your neighbor as yourself you should love your neighbor
27:12
and your ego also you know killing off the ego is not a good thing and then the
27:19
other scripture is love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you persecute you so if we're to love the
27:25
Lord your God love your neighbors love yourself love your enemies whose left
27:31
right we're just called to love that's
27:37
what this wonderful little bracelet is about okay I am love I am love so before
27:45
I go to this last slide I want to propose to you that that in unity we have this thing called chemical ization
27:51
where if we are really being the love we are we will chemical eyes the opposite will bring up enter to our own awareness
27:58
anything that gets in the way of us doing that and it comes up not because we're doing something wrong it because
28:05
up because we're doing something right and it's evidence that we're doing our work then our job is to then clear
28:12
whatever that negativity is and since since the human race is made of a lot of
28:18
individuals there must be something called a cultural or worldwide chemical
28:24
ization and I propose to you that what's happening today in the world around us whether it's our local politics or
28:33
all the violence we see or war and all that what if we saw it as a chemical
28:38
ization because what a lot of people do when this stuff happens is they turned
28:43
their love down they turn look they withdraw and really it's all a call for
28:51
love everything's love or a call for us and at that very moment we would we want
28:57
to go stop as the very moment we want to turn within and turn up our love become
29:06
more aware of our love so whenever you seeing any of that stuff going on
29:11
doesn't mean that there aren't things we have to do in the outer world but it definitely means you have to start with
29:17
doing something in your inner consciousness called turning up your
29:22
awareness of love and love friends it's not something you have it's something
29:29
you are this isn't say I have loved you don't have love your Divine you are
29:39
loved so the reminder we have to know
29:45
for ourselves and we have to apply it to our understanding so you have a little knowing now that you are this love it's
29:54
not something you have not something you own it's not something you lose your habit in the sense that you are it so
30:03
let us take that into meditation
30:11
and we take a deep breath we close our
30:18
eyes letting go of sense consciousness
30:24
so it has a very important role we pivot
30:31
our awareness from the outer to the inner to that inner place where you know
30:39
that we know there is only one power and one present
30:50
there is only one power in one crime and tagged nor yet
31:06
so i invite you to grow your awareness of it now with simply adding a sense of gratitude and appreciation
31:19
in a very fundamental way you are what you seek
31:26
you are the truth you've been looking for [Music]
31:33
yes you are divine the very core of your
31:38
being
31:49
so i invite you now to say to yourself I have loved measuring tape make sure
31:59
you feel
32:05
you feel and know you are loved you know
32:13
that you know that you know you are
32:19
I so let's rest now
32:26
for a little while in the silence that noise
33:21
and now let's say it together I am maybe
33:28
like to put your hand over your heart love is not something you have love is
33:36
something you are but say to you I and
33:42
love now we're going to add a little
33:51
more energy to it using the power of life together I am love a little more I
34:01
am love now let's say it with Dominion
34:06
with authority together ah and love and now let's blow the roof off by adding
34:13
zeal together I am love and so you are
34:19
and so I am and so it is amen now we're
34:25
going to think about how spirit manifests itself is music in all of us
34:34
ain't got no troubles by no pull the
34:39
stream to make me cry I'm never
34:46
[Music]
34:54
when something hip in my way I go rounded hole tonight hit me now gonna
35:02
take it the way that I found it I got
35:08
music at me yeah I have a music in me I
35:17
haven't I haven't ya they say that life
35:30
is affected the way that I found it go
35:38
to move in a straight I keep in my beat me on the ground I heat up I cool
35:48
down I got hurt in my head so I say to move it back get me there to hold of my
35:58
blues and I am I got the music in me I'm
36:04
happy to get me i'm having you text me yeah i got the music in me my god
36:13
I got the music man I feel funky pickle
36:21
wanna tell ya my manhood wanna fly like
36:27
a bird on a wing although through your head honey ding ding ding ding I'll heat
36:35
up a cool down when something gets in my way hoggle rowdy full tonight get me now
36:45
solder take it away that about it I got
36:51
the music in me I got to do forgive me I got the music me yeah I got the music in
37:00
me I got the music in me I got the music in me oh I got the music in me my god
37:09
the music in me I got the music in me yes I do I got the music in me I got the
37:18
music in me I got the music in me ain't got no trouble in my life no bull
37:27
dream to make me right I'm never frightened I'm never worried I know I
37:35
know oh my i got the music in me I got
37:42
the music in me I got the music in me yes I do I got the music in me I got the
37:50
music in me I got the music in me you
37:55
got the music you got the music we got the music and done yes we do I got the
38:04
music in me I got the music in me I got the music random music I got the music
38:16
in me [Music]
38:23
[Applause] [Music] Thanks thank you
38:30
[Applause]
Show transcript
==