2019/05/06

Care of the Soul Thomas Moore



Care of the Soul


Thomas Moore (Author), Peter Thomas (Narrator),
Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life

by Thomas Moore
really liked it 4.00 · Rating details · 13,809 ratings · 359 reviews
This "New York Times" bestseller (more than 200,000 hardcover copies sold) provides a path-breaking lifestyle handbook that shows how to add spirituality, depth, and meaning to modern-day life by nurturing the soul.



Paperback, 312 pages
Published January 26th 1994 by Harper Perennia


In our fast-paced society, we often overlook the needs of our inner selves. This best selling guide shows how to add depth, meaning, and spirituality to your life by nurturing the spirit. By teaching you how to sense the sacredness of everyday things, it will help you solve emotional problems, ease frustration, and gain new perspectives on what living means.


Listening Length: 3 hours and 3 minutes
Program Type: Audiobook

---------------









Dave/Ohio





5.0 out of 5 starsThis book was a wonderful surprise

August 10, 2016


Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase


This book was a wonderful surprise. I thought it would be a book of psychology, but it is full of examples of the gods of mythology and what they stood for, for example, the god Saturn ruling over depression. It talks about all sorts of feelings, and tells you what is good about all of them. Again for example, who would think depression is good? But it gives a person time to slow down, and see things in life they might not have known. I'm not explaining as well as the book, but I'm surprised of how interesting the book is, regarding all emotions, and what we can learn from the and do with them. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about themselves, other people, and just life in general.





29 people found this helpful





Helpful

Comment Report abuse










Z. Mutlu





5.0 out of 5 starsThis book is amazing. I actually had a few ah ha moments

November 30, 2016


Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase


This book is amazing. I actually had a few ah ha moments. I just love it
It is not the easiest book I have ever read, but that may be part of its beauty,
several times I would read then re-read a passage, a chapter but I could
actually feel it hitting somewhere deep inside me, (not my brain) my heart
and my soul





14 people found this helpful





Helpful

Comment Report abuse










William Watkins





5.0 out of 5 starsdeeply insightful

January 25, 2017


Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase


I want to look back on my deathbed knowing absolutely that I gave my soul every chance to become the Soul that God desired for it to become. A life of no regrets, full, and engaged at the deepest levels of my existence. Tho as has handed me the roadmap to that destination.





11 people found this helpful





Helpful

Comment Report abuse










Merrill Peters





5.0 out of 5 starsWell Researched book

April 19, 2016


Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase


Spiritually, Philosopy and Psychology meet up in this book. It's been along since I've read it but anyone interested in soul development and understanding others in a "different place" should read it.





10 people found this helpful





Helpful

Comment Report abuse










bfglord





1.0 out of 5 starsTIRED OF NARRATORS WITH NO PASSION FOR THE WORDS -- WANT Moore' VOICE!!!

April 21, 2019


Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase


I used to love audible, but I am becoming very bored with the narrators who are not the author. When the author reads it is so much different -- you can actually hear the author's "authentic voice," and he will read it with the exact passion in which he wrote it. I read/listened to this 25 years ago and love to listen to Thomas Moore, himself. So bored with narrators who had nothing to do with writing the book -- the passion is where is where he decides to put it, no the actual author. For now on, I will not buy audible books not read by the author if I can avoid. With narrators almost every books sounds the same. Oh how I long to hear the real human being who actually wrote it, speak!








Helpful

Comment Report abuse










Mark Thomson





5.0 out of 5 starsGreat read for those who believe in the soul!

July 21, 2015


Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase


Love this approach to therapy. If you believe in the soul it will help you understand a lot about yourself and others.





10 people found this helpful





Helpful

Comment Report abuse










Word Maven





5.0 out of 5 starsProfound yet Readable Text on Living a Soulful Life

January 16, 2016


Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase


This soul-full book is the best I've read on the topic of living a more full and spiritual life. The content is profound but imminently accessible and provides eternal truths in such a way that it can help us connect with the Spirit in everyday life. I loved it.





6 people found this helpful





Helpful

Comment Report abuse










milo101





5.0 out of 5 starsOutside the box thinking

July 11, 2018


Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase


Interesting book. Different take on modern medicine. Great got fostering self compassion and compassion for others.





2 people found this helpfu



-------------




COMMUNITY REVIEWS


Showing 1-30
really liked it 4.00 ·
Rating details
· 13,809 ratings · 359 reviews




Filter
|
Sort order

May 11, 2007Keriann rated it really liked it
The chapter "Gifts of Depression" is phenomenal. One cannot feel true happiness until they've felt true pain. Our society today is so focused on the quick-fix in order to 'feel' happy, that we don't allow people to go through the NORMAL ups and downs of life. It is NORMAL to hurt, and cry, and feel pain. By going through those emotions we are able to move on to greater happiness. I would not give up the pain in my life for anything in this world. Nothing.
flag36 likes · Like · 5 comments · see review



Jun 06, 2007Candace Morris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those suffering under self-hatred
Recommended to Candace by: my counselor
SECOND REVIEW, MARCH 2008:
There will be many revisions of this review because I will probably have to read and re-read this book for my entire life just to fully absorb it.

Freaking Thomas Moore. He grabs my soul where no other nonfiction spiritual author has managed. The other night, I craved some spiritual comfort (don’t' even talk to me about opening my bible right now! :), and his words jumped from the pages and balmed my broken soul. Let me share some of my favorite passages from the last chapter i read:

On page 258, he just finishes a story about a nun who "lost her faith." To sum up he says something profound.

"There is a Job-like mystery in human suffering and loss that can't be comprehended with reason. It can only be lived in faith. Suffering forces our attention towards places we wound normally neglect. The nun's attention had long been focused on her spiritual practice, but then she was forced to look at her own heart without any spiritual props or lenses. She had to learn that faith comes not only from the spiritual life and high revelations, it also comes as an emanation from the depths, a starkly impersonal reality from the most personal place...we have to arrive at that difficult point where we don't know what is going on or what we can do. That precise point is an opening to true faith."

On page 260, "This is the goal of the soul path - to FEEL EXISTENCE; not to overcome life's struggles and anxieties, but to know life first hand - to exist fully in context."

on page 262, after embracing your soul work..."Then your soul, cared for in courage, will be so solid, so weathered and mysterious, that divinity will emanate from your very being. You will have the spiritual radiance of the holy fool who has dared to live as it presents itself and to unfold personality with its heavy yet creative dose of imperfection."

FIRST REVIEW, MARCH 2007:
Being a student of classical literature, I have very rarely found nonfiction that can speak in the same language to which I am accustomed. This book is deeply profound and challenging--perhaps the most evocative approach to psychology, philosophy, and mythology that I have ever encountered.

It is especially helpful to those who enjoy literature. It is artistic and aesthetic, yet still very, very helpful for practical use and everyday living. I have found myself challenged deeply towards personal and spiritual fulfillment, and have been recommending the book to everyone that I know.

My husband and I read it together and are continuing to sift through its richness. No other book has been able to so completely shift my spiritual and psychological paradigm effectively. This is a must read.
(less)
flag32 likes · Like · 4 comments · see review



Jun 29, 2007Ganesh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who want a realistic, compassionate view of human nature
Shelves: philosophy, psychology, poetry, spirituality, favorites, art
Many of the religions I've been exposed to preach reaching for an impossible ideal, and my attempts as transcendence have left me inevitably frustrated with myself, others, and my life. That is why I appreciate Thomas Moore's philosophy. Here is, in a nutshell: don't try to transcend your humanity, embrace it.

Moore's ideas would resonate with spiritual wanderers and people who view life as an artistic work in progress.

Here is what I took away from the book:

-When Moore was a therapist, he noticed that many clients would come to him, wanting him to remove a flaw of theirs. They went to him like patients seeking a surgeon to remove a tumor.

For instance, once a woman told him that her problem was that she was too dependent on others, and she wanted him to help her get rid of this tendency. He explained to her that if it were magically possible to remove this tendency, she would simply acquire an entirely new of problems that comes with being an independent person. Instead of fighting one's nature, why not accept it and the inevitable positives and negatives that come with it, and find a way to live more peacefully with that knowledge.

-I had always assumed that nothing good could come from being jealous. So, I found it immensely frustrating when I fell in love and experienced intense jealousy for the first time. Moore helped me realize that jealousy is natural and even necessary in an intimate relationship. It is that possessiveness that keeps a couple together. If there's too high a level of detachment, then it'd be too easy for the couple to drift apart.

-When people think of what "creativity" means, according to Moore, most people think of the child-like initial stages of creativity. However, the less-than-glamorous, mundane tasks are also essential to the creative process.

-He is critical of conventional psychotherapy because of its often cold, scientific approach. He feels that labeling a person with a condition can reflect a condescending view.

I've sat around with friends listening to someone's relationship problems, when a friend will say "The problem is he's avoidant and a total narcissist." Everyone, including myself, would then roll their eyes and nod in agreement. But I would feel like something's wrong with dismissing someone in this way. Thomas Moore's approach seems much more compassionate to me. He might respond by saying that there are reasons people resist dealing with difficult situations and it can take time for them to work through denial, and narcissists have good and bad traits.

-Our culture celebrates light, and many feel ashamed when we aren't happy. However, Moore contends that sadness is, in a sense, a gift, for it gives one depth and perspective. Healing can take time. It rarely occurs overnight.
(less)
flag29 likes · Like · 2 comments · see review



Apr 17, 2017Hussam Elkhatib rated it it was amazing
It takes the reader to great depths within the realm of their soul. There are no words that may describe what this great book can offer to someone in the midst of their suffering, as it provides healing that comes with a deep understanding. Such outlook could replenish contentment and restore warmth to someone's life with a reason. Thomas Moore had valuable information to share. He also contributed significant knowledge that enriches both the mind and soul. Highly recommended!
flag15 likes · Like · comment · see review



Feb 22, 2008Rachel rated it it was amazing
Ok, the title sounds cheesy, but this is basically the best book of all time. It has absolutely informed my approach to my life, my friends', and my clinical work. Basically, Moore addresses what he terms our culture's overly "hygenic" approach to mental health - the idea that we need to clean up and get rid of undesirable parts of ourselves. Having been educated in theology, psychology, and musicology, Moore is in a good position to advocate for a polytheistic approach. He does not mean that literally, in terms of accepting multiple deities, but rather uses examples and Greek myths to show that all parts of ourselves are important and deserve listening and care. Instead of repressing undesirable parts of ourselves, Moore advocates honoring symptoms as voices of soul. If something is bothering us, we may need to listen to parts of ourselves that have been hidden. Moore also explains that not everything needs to be resolved, and that it is often appropriate to welcome perspectives within ourselves that have very different needs. It is in caring for our multiple needs and complex, contrasting parts that we can honor different parts of soul and facilitate comprehensive care. (less)
flag10 likes · Like · comment · see review



Jun 23, 2015Leslie Reese rated it it was amazing · review of another edition
Thanks to Rowena https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...--- who suggested we “buddy-read” bell hooks’ 1995 book Art On My Mind earlier this year, my love for that book was re-kindled. Like I told Zannahttps://www.goodreads.com/review/show...--- who recently began readingArt On My Mind --- “this book is my jam.”

In her essay “The Poetics of Soul: Art for Everyone” ---hooks takes to the pulpit to speak about the sanctity of the soul as revealed in artworks created by Alison Saar. She cites Thomas Moore’s book Care of the Soul (1992) in this essay about four times, which is what made me curious to read his book. Well, it has taken me 20 years to get around to reading Moore’s book! (Take THAT! those of you with extensive TBR lists!) But I think that now is the good time for me.

Using mostly Eurocentric references, Moore’s discussion of the soul and its care seems even more resonant and urgent now, in these splintered, anesthetized, and technology-driven times. Care of the Soul does not read like a generic “self- help” book but offers concepts regarding the soul and its care which challenge western contemporary expectations toward solvinginternal and external mysteries of life. Care is not synonymous with cure. As Moore says in the introduction:

“The act of entering into the mysteries of the soul, without sentimentality or pessimism, encourages life to blossom forth according to its own designs and with its own unpredictable beauty. Care of the soul is not solving the puzzle of life; quite the opposite, it is an appreciation of the paradoxical mysteries that blend light and darkness into the grandeur of what human life and culture can be.”

I am very behind on summer fun and writing for my blog so this is as long as this “review” is going to get, today! (less)
flag8 likes · Like · see review



Sep 12, 2017Kimber rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-care, philosophy
Care of the soul is much neglected by the individual in our society and this neglect effects personal happiness, how we view relationships, and our feeling of fulfillment. Soul is who we are and soul is the prescription we need for our sicknesses and disorders of mind.

Moore, writing in 1992, definitely saw clearly the problems of the future: "One day I would like to make up my own DSM-III with a list of disorders I have seen in my practice. For example, I would want to include the diagnosis of Psychological Modernism, an uncritical acceptance of the values of the modern world. It includes blind faith in technology, inordinate attachment to material gadgets and conveniences, uncritical acceptance of the march of scientific progress, devotion to the electronic media, and a lifestyle dictated by advertising. This orientation towards life also tends toward a mechanistic and rationalistic understanding of matters of the heart. In this Modernist Syndrome, technology becomes the root metaphor for dealing with psychological problems."

Moore's many insights of 1992 have come true and society has clearly moved away from the soul and more towards technology. Technology is unavoidable but the call and tending of the soul is essential to being in balance and the pharmaceutical approach to treating mental problems is an abysmal failure. (less)
flag7 likes · Like · comment · see review



Mar 19, 2009Lcbogota rated it really liked it
Although this book was presented to me as "not a self-help book," it really is. The most important point that this book made for me was the value of accepting contradictions, why we accept or reject certain behaviors/characteristics.

All behaviors exist on a continuum, and the actions that we pursue change in response to our circumstances and maturity. These behaviors may be opposites and they would appear to contradict each other, but we draw on these characteristics and use them as they are needed in life. At their extreme they do harm; in moderation they allow us to flourish as individuals and coexist in society with others:
Creation - destruction
Gentleness - aggression
Solitude - social contact
Self-love - humility
Need for approval - no regard for the views of another
Being adrift - being anchored
Openess/freedom - order/limit
Possessive attachment - dispersion of desire
Forgiveness - Vengeance

Quotable quote: p. 254 "But the real trust of faith would be to decide whether to trust someone, knowing that betrayal is inevitable because life and personality are never without shadow. The vulnerability that faith demands could then be matched by an equal trust in oneself, the feeling that one can survive the pain of betrayal."

Soul has a preference for details and particulars, intimacy and involvement, attachment and rootedness.
Also a need for retreat.
Idealism and romanticizing deny the darker elements of doubt, hopelessness, and emptiness.

If you are not of the Christian persuasion, you probably want to avoid the last section of the book, the rest provides insights that anyone can use, regardless of their religious affiliation or non-affiliation.

Personally I found this book useful to me. It came at just the right moment and it helped me to ask and consider the answers to questions about different aspects of my life.

(less)
flag5 likes · Like · comment · see review



Nov 08, 2013Diane Challenor rated it liked it
Shelves: our-print-library, shelved
This book if full of wisdom. I've abandoned it because it relies heavily on mythology for analogies and I have a personal dislike of mythology, therefore I had difficulty getting through the book. When authors use mythology within their prose, a knowledge of the myths is required. I have very little knowledge of the myths and have very little desire to learn more about them. AS Byatt referred to a lot of myths in her book "Possession" and I cross referenced most of them because I was determined to read her book from beginning to end. Unfortunately I didn't have the same energy when it came to reading "Care of the Soul", I gave up about one third of the way through. That said, I would like to try again some time "down the track" because I know the book holds profound thoughts on how to live a "good-life" which is something I strive for. (less)
flag5 likes · Like · 2 comments · see review



Sep 20, 2011Miriam rated it it was amazing
This is such an amazing book that really helped me shift my perspective of the healing journey. In one of many metaphors that stuck with me, he describes the soul journey as a following the path of a labyrinth rather than a climbing up a mountain, reaching a spiritual peak. There's a place for those spiritual ascents, too, but Moore always brings our attention back to our ordinary broken humanness--which is where we can find true nourishment. I will be referencing this book again and again.
flag4 likes · Like · comment · see review



Sep 08, 2012Miyuki rated it really liked it
Thomas and I had a great deal of conversations over 6 months. He introduced me to the Greek mythology, invited me to see differently the emotions I preferred to avoid, and encouraged me about imagination and mystery. What was once called hallucinations is now the soul of the world again, and this time, I am so happy to be Home.
flag4 likes · Like · comment · see review



Oct 27, 2007Colleen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Philosophers, Dreamers, and those with an itch for a deeper existence.
This is the sort of book that I'll keep near my tissue box for the rest of my life, not because it made me cry. Rather, when I cry, I'll go for a tissue, see Thomas Moore's brilliant book, and feel better, hopefully. I'll give myself time to brood, time to weep, and time to allow my soul to grow.

There's a chapter in here for nearly every modern major problem. I'll be memorizing the ones on jealousy and depression. Sex, relationships, love, careers, and money are covered, plus more. What a bargain. And Moore navigates these rough seas with such grace. It was a joy to read.

The only slow part for me was the opening chapter. It takes a hundred pages or so for me to get the rhythm of most authors. In this case, Moore was not only introducing himself stylistically. He was also defining the terms in his piece, and setting up the historical precedent for the care of the soul. Fascinating, but heady, stuff.

I heartily recommend this book for all of my family and friends. After all, you'll be feeling its influence through my actions and attitudes regardless of whether you actually pick it up. (less)
flag3 likes · Like · 1 comment · see review



Feb 12, 2010Chelsea rated it really liked it
I was attracted to this book because of Thomas Moore's scholastic background in mythology, musicology and theology. It was a nourishing book, with little to no overtones of "churchiness". In fact it is a direct challenge to the traditional religious way of thinking about spirituality. He casts the obstacles of life in a soothing light, using the tales of Greek/Roman mythology and traditional shamanic dreamwork to add richness to our understanding of life's trials (depression, anxiety, death, narcissism, low-self esteem, envy). Even though it was geared towards a more mature adult audience, I felt I benefited from this book. Through ancient stories and archetypes Moore illustrates how we can make our bodies, our living spaces and our relationships a living testament to the beauty of life. (less)
flag3 likes · Like · 1 comment · see review



Aug 14, 2017Aryeh rated it really liked it
Admittedly, the first part of the book bored me. I went into this expecting a spiritual work and got psychology. However, in the 4th chapter when Moore really hit his stride the book began to take off. Although throughout the book, Moore uses Greek mythology to illustrate points, his Christian monastic background is evident in his understandings. Moore's writing throughout is thoughtful, eloquent, and inspiring. If you're reading it to help someone else, this book is futile. If you're reading it to examine yourself, it's a gem. (less)
flag3 likes · Like · comment · see review



Sep 01, 2014Sleasterling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gcisd-25-book-challenge, summer-reading
Care of the Soul addresses the problem that so many people today face: how to love one's self (yet also explaining the monumental difference between loving one's self and ego). I've never read a book that was as genuinely real as this one. Although referencing some Christian aspects, Moore remains religiously unbiased. Moore also frequently comments upon the difference between "care" and "cure." One must accept his or her human traits and appreciate them rather than try to get rid of them. The s ...more
flag3 likes · Like · comment · see review



Apr 11, 2009Kylie Sparks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healing-spiritual
I read this book years ago but I frequently remember stories and examples from it. One of the major insights that I gained from Thomas Moore is that there is a value to depression/sadness and that the only way out of it is to really go into it. I feel that reading this book helped me to deal with many events that came afterwards in a much more present way. There's much more to be said about this book but I've have to re-read it first!
flag3 likes · Like · see review



Thomas Moore


Born
in Detroit, Michigan, The United States 
October 08, 1940

Website

Genre


Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information.


Thomas Moore is the author of the bestselling book Care of the Soul, Ageless Soul, and fifteen other books on deepening spirituality and cultivating soul in every aspect of life. He has been a monk, a musician, a university professor, and a psychotherapist, and today he lectures widely on holistic medicine, spirituality, psychotherapy, and the arts. He lectures frequently in Ireland and has a special love of Irish culture. He has Ph. D. in religion from Syracuse University and has won several awards for his work, including an honorary doctorate from Lesley University and the Humanitarian Award from Einstein Medical School of Yeshiva University. He also has a B.A. in music from DePaul University, an M.A. in musicology from the University of Michigan, and an M.A. in theology from the University of Windsor. He also writes fiction and music and often works with his wife, artist and yoga instructor, Hari Kirin. He writes regular columns for Resurgence, Spirituality & Health, and will soon publish Writing in the Sand: The Spirituality of Jesus and the Soul of the Gospels, The Soul of Medicine, and Hole in One: Stories about the Game of Life.
 (less)

Average rating: 4.0 · 23,674 ratings · 1,017 reviews · 52 distinct works • Similar authors
Care of the Soul: A Guide f...

by 
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 13,809 ratings — published 1988 — 40 editions
Soul Mates: Honouring the M...

by 
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 4,179 ratings — published 1994 — 22 editions
Dark Nights of the Soul: A ...

by 
 4.19 avg rating — 1,413 ratings — published 2004 — 2 editions
The Re-enchantment of Every...

by 
 4.14 avg rating — 892 ratings — published 1996 — 11 editions
The Soul of Sex: Cultivatin...

by 
 3.91 avg rating — 519 ratings — published 1998 — 12 editions
A Religion of One's Own: A ...

by 
 3.85 avg rating — 658 ratings — published 2014 — 6 editions
A Life at Work: The Joy of ...

by 
 3.71 avg rating — 539 ratings — published 2007 — 24 editions
Original Self: Living with ...

by 
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 339 ratings — published 2000 — 2 editions
The Soul's Religion: Cultiv...

by 
 4.03 avg rating — 265 ratings — published 1899 — 21 editions
Ageless Soul: The Lifelong ...

by 
 3.92 avg rating — 224 ratings — published 2017 — 7 editions
More books by Thomas Moore…

UPCOMING EVENTS

No scheduled events. Add an event.

“It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed”
― Thomas Moore, Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life

“Disappointments in love, even betrayals and losses, serve the soul at the very moment they seem in life to be tragedies. The soul is partly in time and partly in eternity. We might remember the part that resides in eternity when we feel despair over the part that is in life.”
― Thomas Moore, Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life

“We need people in our lives with whom we can be as open as possible. To have real conversations with people may seem like such a simple, obvious suggestion, but it involves courage and risk.”
― Thomas Moore, Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
tags: courageliferisk