2018/08/29

Amazon.com: The Wisdom of Sundays: Life-Changing Insights and Inspirational Conversations (Audible Audio Edition): Oprah Winfrey, full cast, Macmillan Digital Audio: Books



Amazon.com: The Wisdom of Sundays: Life-Changing Insights and Inspirational Conversations (Audible Audio Edition): Oprah Winfrey, full cast, Macmillan Digital Audio: Books




The Wisdom of Sundays features insightful selections from the most meaningful conversations between Oprah Winfrey and some of today's most admired thought leaders.

This program features interviews with 
Michael Bernard Beckwith, 
Jon Kabat-Zinn, 
Caroline Myss, 
Daniel Pink, 
Michael Singer, 
Bryan Stevenson, 
Eckhart Tolle, 
Iyanla Vanzant, 
Elie Wiesel & Gary Zukav. 

Chapter Introductions are read by Oprah Winfrey

Visionaries like Gary Zukav and John Kabat-Zinn share their lessons in finding purpose through intention and mindfulness. World-renowned teachers like Eckhart Tolle and Michael Singer explain our complex relationship with the ego and the healing powers of love and connection; and award-winning and bestselling writers like Bryan Stevenson and Caroline Myss explore the beauty of forgiveness and spirituality.

Organised into ten chapters - each one representing a powerful step in Oprah's own spiritual journey and introduced with an intimate personal essay written and read by Oprah herself - these are the moments of inspiration that have enlightened millions on the three-time Emmy Award-winning Super Soul Sunday collected in The Wisdom of Sundays, a cherishable, deeply affecting audiobook.

Oprah Winfrey says, "If you want to be more fully present and live with a wide-open heart, this is where your journey begins."

This unique audiobook, adapted from the print edition, includes a complete conversation between Oprah and a leading visionary on each chapter's topic, and Oprah Winfrey reads the original essay she wrote to introduce each chapter.

-------------






All reviewersAll starsAll formatsText, image, video
5.0 out of 5 starsFABULOUS BOOK - INCONSISTENT QUALITY IN WHAT IS BEING SHIPPED
ByJ. Gosson December 4, 2017
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
There seem to be two different versions of this book shipping, though they are both First Edition and have the same ISBN #. They have exactly the same content, but one book is luxurious with a linen cover, thick paper, incredible colors and is a gorgeous book. My son sent me that one as a birthday gift (through Amazon) and I fell in love with it, so ordered another copy as a gift for a friend, using the same link. I was SO disappointed when it arrived. That book is HALF the thickness of the one I first received, the paper is thin and of poor quality and the cover is not linen, but a textured paper. Other reviews have mentioned the same thing so I know I'm not alone. (see photo) I'm returning that book and might suggest you purchase this at a local bookstore where you can check the quality of the book before buying it. There is THAT much difference.

Having said that, it's a lovely book to absorb, one reading at a time, which is why I give it 5 Stars. I read one insight each night and spend time in thought about the perspective. I absolutely adore this book.


289 people found this helpful

Helpful
3 comments Report abuse
5.0 out of 5 stars

I am smiling with sweet, quiet contentment as I write this review because I can hardly contain how much I adore the book. I heard about 'The Wisdom of Sundays' on an episode of Ellen and after Oprah described it, I immediately pre-ordered a copy. It arrived earlier today and I poured myself a glass of wine and sank languidly into my couch to start reading.

'The Wisdom of Sundays' is a collection of insights, anecdotes, and sage advice from a mixture of personalities whom Oprah has interviewed on her show, Super Soul Sunday. In these interviews, she recalls moments when these renowned thought-leaders and visionaries expressed deep, compelling acuity on how they stay inspired by looking inward, in order to continue in their journey of truthful discernment.

The book is 8.25" X 6.75" and is bound cover to cover in a rough, but beautiful khaki denim cloth. In a surprising sensory delight, the book also emits a sweet, antique smell that has hints of clean, fresh cut wood mixed with vanilla. I am not sure if this was intentional by the publisher and Oprah, but it was a delightful surprise to my nose when I removed the book from the packaging, and each time I turned the page. Planted within gorgeous, vibrant photography that showcase images of nature and the great outdoors, the anecdotes and insights are offered in a calm conversational tone and style.

From what I've discerned thus far, an essential point of the book is that there are many avenues we each can go about finding inner peace in order to awaken our individual spirit. The human experience is as unique as there are people on earth. Even with this multitudinous collection of people and experiences, there are fundamental and philosophical basics that are universal and applicable to all human life; basics that we can all gain lifelong lessons from.

These basics are what this book shares with us. 
  • No matter your journey or how you go about brightening or enlightening your human experience, always look within and start with yourself. 
  • Open your mind, display your heart, nourish your soul, and appreciate the beauty and simplicity of ordinary things. 
  • The book highlights that our potential for greatness is vast and that we can succeed by harnessing these spiritual lessons.
  • As wondrous and magical as life can be, truth is, it gets cloudy. With discord, setbacks, and heartache, we get thrown off course, loosing our sense of belonging, our identity, and our hope. 

As a child christened in the Anglican Communion, and an adult who has maintained her Anglican faith, I often find comfort and solace in 'The Book of Common Prayer' and in the Bible, whenever I need guidance. Still, there are times when hearing the voices of others, of people I admire and trust, also gives me a boost. It is comforting to listen and hear how others attain their internal peace, maintain their balance, invigorate their passions, and reawaken their energy. This book is a wonderful example of all that.
After reading the first chapter alone, titled "Awakening," I feel warm and at home, as if an old friend just visited and gave me a hug while smiling brightly. I cannot wait to finish the rest of it. Needless to say, I highly recommend it, be you aged 10 or 100 and for all in between.


238 people found this helpful

Helpful
2 comments Report abuse
5.0 out of 5 starsA Beautiful and Insightful Curation of Timeless Perspectives
BySteve Don October 17, 2017
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
My intention in reading Oprah’s newest is to further open my mind, and learn more about what is timeless.

So...thank you, insomnia. For I have skimmed through the book and deeply read the first chapter. This beautifully arranged and sequenced curation of philosophies and insights, organized by theme, is like sitting down to a roundtable with some of our best thinkers and feelers. And I’m grateful for the invitation.

It took me about ten minutes to get my first A-HA...that soul is spirit. What I am also finding interesting is how folks from different walks of life, from Rob Bell to Michael Singer to Deepak Chopra, offer unique perspectives while being so aligned.

Because I’m a DIRECTV Now subscriber and OWN TV doesn’t authenticate with that service, I don’t have unbridled access to every episode of SSS. Now, for cord cutters and whatever the hell I am, we get more of a glimpse into our potential for an expanded and more open perspective...and dare I say a bit more inner peace for ourselves and compassion for others.

Well done, Team Oprah!

151 people found this helpful

Helpful
1 comment Report abuse
5.0 out of 5 starsA KEEPSAKE TO TREASURE -- Encourages my spirit, challenges my mind.
ByRob NatiukTOP 100 REVIEWERon October 20, 2017
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
At first, I was unsure about this book's value. I feared that like so many new-age and self-help books I’ve read over the years, this one would be filled with high-sounding but not totally true-to-life advice.

That fear vanished after reading just the first chapter. Sure, later there were some bits that didn’t appeal to my down-to-earth farmer philosophy. But those were few. Overall, this book achieved Oprah’s goal: “If you want to be more fully present and live your life with a wide-open heart, this is the place to come to.”

First, I appreciate that Oprah Winfred organized this book from her 200-PLUS HOURS OF INTERVIEWS. She combined the best nuggets from these teachers with many beautiful and meditative photos from near her home in Santa Barbara, California. Together words and photos work beautifully to widen my perceptions.

What impressed me is Oprah’s early life story. She does not come from an ivory castle or guru-mountaintop. Rather, she was born into poverty to a young single mother in rural Mississippi. Then she was raised in a Milwaukee inner city slum. She survived very tough teen years and gradually rose to media fame – very inspiring. That kind of life gives credibility to the 80 thought-leaders she chose to interview for her TV shows and this book. Just a few examples --

-- Authors such as Dr. Maya Angelou and best-selling novelist Sue Monk Kidd.
-- Athletes and coaches who learned how to achieve high goals in spite of great struggles.
-- Christian pastor-writers such as Benedictine sister and prolific author Joan Chittister, Pastor John Gray, Bishop T. D. Jakes, Joel Osteen, renowned singer and pastor Wintley Phipps.
-- We have a fair balance with thinkers in other faiths, such as Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh and Sufi teacher Llewellyn Vaughn-Lee,
-- Actors and musicians such as India Arie and Tracy Morgan; leading pacesetters from many fields including the armed services, business, public service.
-- The youngest contributor is Malala Yousafzai, author of “I Am Malala.” Remember her as the schoolgirl in Pakistan, shot in the head by extremists. Now recovered, she spends and risks her life promoting more education for young Muslim children, especially girls.

Like me you might find yourself immersed for hours in spiritual and mental stimulation. You might question some points, but that could strengthen and expand your own beliefs.

I’ve found this book to be an excellent RESOURCE FOR MY LIFE! I think you will too. .

46 people found this helpful
--
ByMaureen Kay Milleron December 11, 2017
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I ordered 3 of these books and the quality between them is vastly different. I am returning the 3rd one as it is not suitable for a gift. The pages are very thin and even wavy. The cover is also not as nice. There is a full 1/2 inch difference in the thickness between 2 of the books. The print is even harder to read. This is one case where you'll want to go to a brick and mortar to see the quality.


38 people found this helpful

Helpful
2 comments Report abuse
3.0 out of 5 starsI listen to the podcasts and really like them so I ordered myself a copy along with ...
ByRon Stillon December 17, 2017
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I listen to the podcasts and really like them so I ordered myself a copy along with a copy for Christmas for my 70 year old mom and 71 year old aunt. Well, I had a difficult time reading many of the interviews as the font is TINY. There was too much attention paid to the images of her Santa Barbara ranch than the readability factor. Some interviews were in normal font but many were so small as if the editor was trying to auto fit it onto only 2 pages. Very disappointed.

10 people found this helpful

Helpful
Comment Report abuse
2.0 out of 5 starsTiny print too difficult to read
ByCheryl Cuttineauon November 8, 2017
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I love Oprah, I love Super Soul Sunday, and I was so excited when I heard about this book. Coming from Oprah Winfrey, I expected a top quality product. Everything from the book cover, the artwork and the content selection is superb.
Unfortunately, Even with reading glasses I found the tiny print so difficult to read that I quickly developed a headache from eye strain. I am the same age as Ms. Winfrey and have the same vision issues that come with age. I love to read, I became a high school English teacher to share my love of reading, but the publisher decision to use tiny print with 3/4 of the page empty makes this book a huge disappointment. I will be donating the book to the library and wait for a 2nd edition that uses larger print.

38 people found this helpful

Helpful
3 comments Report abuse
2.0 out of 5 starsSome poor quality copies being shipped
ByA. Strausson January 10, 2018
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The content is great, I’d give it 5 stars for what it is, which is a great collection of short inspirational ideas. However, as others have mentioned, the physical book itself is either great, or very disappointing. I bought a copy back in November as a gift, and it was gorgeous: beautifully bound, thick, glossy paper which really allowed the photographs to pop, absolutely stunning. So... when I realized I needed another gift for someone else, I reordered. The second copy I received is not at all the same. Content is the same, but the paper is thin, matte, the book itself is probably half as thick due to the cheaper paper. The cover was especially disappointing, with the corners slightly bent, noticeably crooked label, and a generally shelfworn look. Unfortunately, I didn’t actually open the package till the day before I needed to give the gift, or I would’ve returned it. If I’d had any clue there were two different quality books shipping, I would’ve opened it to make sure I’d actually received the very nice book I expected. The recipient, of course, didn’t know that she should’ve received a much nicer gift, so okay. But NOT what I expect from Amazon. I re-ordered from the same exact product shown in my order history, so not like I was trying to save money by ordering a knock-off. Really disappointing.

7 people found this helpful

Helpful
Comment Report abuse
5.0 out of 5 starsOprah brings new Light to a world that desperately needs it!
ByPatrickon November 3, 2017
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
If your into personal growth, Spritual insights, and a quality product we have come to know with anything associated with Oprah, your going to LOVE what she has put together. I bought the CD's to listen to on my way to work, I found the conversations she has with the various guests inspiring as she actually has clips from SuperSoul Sunday conversations. But I feel the need for the book now, to reflect in quite when something challenges my thoughts and shifts my preceptions in a new direction. It would make a wonderful gift- if the person does not own it already.

4 people found this helpful