2022/06/22

Toshio Kawai | 京都大学 人と社会の未来研究院

Toshio Kawai | 京都大学 人と社会の未来研究院
Toshio Kawai | Director, Professor | Clinical Psychology

My research field is clinical psychology; I am interested in the cultural and historical background of psychotherapy, beyond the various psychological problems appearing in psychotherapy. In this sense, my concern is how consciousness today is reflected in psychotherapy. 

While the psychotherapy inaugurated by Freud takes neuroses as its object, and is based on self-consciousness, the consciousness of today seems to have a different structure, appearing in new symptoms like dissociation, developmental disorders, and psychosomatic disorders. 

As a Jungian analyst, I work with images, but recently I am more interested in the dialectics of psychotherapy. As methodology, I use not only case studies in psychotherapy, but also investigation and studies of literature. I am looking for a methodology transcending the use of narratives alone.