2023/09/12

Non-Theist Quakers | I asked God

Non-Theist Quakers | Facebook:

Walter's post


Walter Webb
spodntSreo1h51740f41m2m0l70m10ig1t65c0l5fmla0ihc7mu092hu6cf4 ·


I asked God to take away my habit. God said, no. It is not for me to take away but for you to give it up.
I asked God to heal my handicapped son. God said no. His spirit is whole his body is only temporary.
I asked God to give me patience but God said no. Patience is a by-product of tribulations. It isn't granted it is learned.
I asked God to give me happiness but God said no. I give you blessings happiness is up to you.
I asked God to spare me pain but God said no. Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to me.
I asked God to make my spirit grow but God said no. You must grow on your own but I will prune you and make you fruitful.
I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life but God said no. I will give you life so you may enjoy all things.
I asked God to help me love others as He has loved me. God said ah, now you have the idea.
The day is yours don't throw it away.

Author unknown



Geoff Thomason

This still retains the belief in suffering as a virtue that is seen as a divine gift. Try telling that to the countless people for whom it has been used as an excuse to ignore their suffering. Some years ago a wonderful Friend who is no longer with us ended her ministry with 'Suffering is not a virtue!' Some of the finest words I've heard spoken in. Meeting.


Bryan Osborne

Geoff Thomason I nearly said Amen to that! For me the endless open ended "riddle" "enless loop" answers when clerics were caught out just did it for me alongside this mantra that we are born into sin. Connecting with other at our base human emotion has given me all the faith I need but it takes time to awaken. Something far too few of us seem to have for each other.

Katherine Lickley

This reminds me of one of the reasons I left charismatic evangelicalism. No more mind games trying to explain the sufferings heaped upon me and God's silence and therefore apparent lack of care for me as I gradually broke. I was having suicidal thoughts by the end. I'm so much happier and mentally healthier now.



Bryan Osborne

People ask me did I pray in the Army. I said for sure to absolutely no avail. The result being I have great faith in the inner spirit of humans so I try not to waste too much worldly time when helping people find their power as I have found mine.

The prayer.
Hello God, Hello God.. This is Bryan Over.......... 
Nothing Heard... OUT!


Sue White

If God says no to everything why do we need a god at all? Makes no sense