2018/04/18

Memories, Dreams, Reflections

 Memories, Dreams, Reflections

on May 17, 2017
How could a book by Carl Jung about Carl Jung not be fascinating? But he was hard to follow throughout parts of the book. His mental inner workings go deeper than I've ever read and, as good writing does, left me with a sense of being known on a much deeper level myself. I loved his ability to objectively observe and articulate spirituality but found it a bit dry a couple of times, being that I have a life of experiencing spirituality, as I know everyone does firsthand to at least some degree, is, I wished to read more about this by him. But it was his life's work to do it more analytically. I recommend it for the patient reader with an interest in what I've mentioned as well as good comprehension skills.
Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 20, 2017
A genius reveals his soul. By far the most important thinker I've read, yet human enough to show his humanity. Never claiming divinity, he brought us close to the spiritual doorways, and his book is the best introduction to the man and his inspired thoughts. I have his full Collected Works, but this book is the starting place. I am reading it for the third time.
Comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 2, 2018
This book was IT.
It fed my intellect and nourished my mind.
Carl Jung is a Father on my intellectual journey. I go back to consult him when I feel pathless. And he never disappoints. He is patient, knowing (real knowing- not a fake), mythical, and scientific.
Comment| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 9, 2016
I dont have to understand everything in the book to be aware that I was given many great insights. There are lots of things I always wondered about in my own life, and Jung and Jaffe provided many answers to how things fit together. My own myth about God and the unseen realm has been greatly augmented. Please read!
Comment| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 16, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual autobiography of Carl Jung, one of the truly original thinkers of the twentieth century. Rather than write a conventional autobiography, Jung decided, in this book, to explore how he came to be interested in the workings of the unconscious and the systematic study of its manifestations. He takes us on a journey that begins with his psychological perceptions during childhood, continues with his adult studies and synchronic experiences, and travels onward to his later "near-death experience" (as we might now call it) and his mature views on a various psychic phenomena. For those already interested in Jung or curious about his life, this book would be a fascinating read. It is a text to enjoy with an open mind, despite one's own belief system, in order to experience more fully the possibilities that Jung suggests.

I highly recommend this book and have already read parts of it more than once. It is that interesting.
1 comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2017
Great book for anyone interested in learning about Carl Jung. Carl was way ahead of his time, extremely intelligent and insightful. I picked up some excellent key points that has helped me see things from a better point of view. I'm barely a casual reader, so this book was a bit difficult for me to read at times. There is a lot of talk and reference to religions and cultures from all over the world which was quite a bit difficult for me to read as I am unfamiliar with most of the reference and wording, thankful for google! Regardless, I enjoyed reading about Carl and his life and felt a benefit from reading this book.
Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 4, 2013
Carl Jung provides the reader with an opportunity to explore significant moments in his life; however, these are uniquely narrated because he bypasses his usual avoidance of religion. Readers who are interested in the relationship between the author's personal experiences and the formation of his ideas will not be disappointed. Though this is a classic autobiography in that it is written when Jung was in his 80s, it is not a dry record of personal accomplishment. Jung vividly narrates his life story as an artist who paints a portrait rather than a scientist who compiles statistics. It is a pleasure to read and seek out the motivations of this innovative thinker whose importance becomes more relevant as our world's "collective unconscious" enters a transformational period.
Comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2011
This fabulous memoir goes out of print and then, sometimes, re-emerges in a later edition. I hate it when I cannot find a copy, as I want to give it to many people I know. I gave the most recent edition as a gift to an erudite friend, because I read the book thirty years ago and still recall how deeply affected I was by the book. The book is not psycho-babble or even a tome about Jungian psychology; rather, it's deeply personal, incredibly creative, and spiritual in a way that does not gag one. I highly recommend this book, and the new cover is sharp, too.
Comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2012
I read this book for the first time in college for an upper-level German Literature course called "Dreams and Identity." The book has since become one of my all-time favorites. Carl Jung is also one of my all-time favorite personalities. His writing is grounded and creative and Jaffe's translation preserves its subtlety. If you want a great way to take the plunge into Jungian theories, his autobiography is a beautiful way to do it. This book will leave you wanting more and, as it did me, may just change the way you view the world and the importance each person's personal journey is in life, including your own, and how how that journey and the self is connected to everyone else around you - past, present, and what yet lies ahead.
Comment| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 22, 2013
On the whole, the work seems to be an honest reflection by Jung of his life and work. Some surprises and seeming paradoxes with his interpretation of dreams but we're given a taste of his thoughts on the psyche, the unconscious, god and the role of myth in our lives.

I for one have had my interest piqued enough to dive into some of his other books.

A captivating read.