2021/10/19

From Teilhard to Omega: Co-Creating an Unfinished Universe by Ilia Delio | Goodreads

From Teilhard to Omega: Co-Creating an Unfinished Universe by Ilia Delio | Goodreads


From Teilhard to Omega: Co-Creating an Unfinished Universe

by
Ilia Delio
4.36 · Rating details · 47 ratings · 3 reviews
Thirteen scholars--including John F. Haught, Ursula King, and John C. Haughey, SJ--take off from where Teilhard de Chardin left off, 
opening new windows to the divine mystery, to the evolving person, and to the new energies of love needed for the forward movement of life.

Paperback, 256 pages
Published February 10th 2014 by Orbis Books (first published January 2nd 2014)
ISBN
Write a review

Oct 13, 2020Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, philosophy, poitical-thought, religion, science, spirituality, theology
I have been in love with Teilhard's vision of reality since I first heard of him in college (a long time ago.) His reconciliation of Christianity with science has inspired me and focused my own approach to spirituality/life/the world. I am not that smart though so I really like this book in which 13 authors give us a perspective, explaining concepts that are difficult and answering objections to Teilhard's vision more than I can say. Some of the writing is a bit tedious but the expansion of my own awareness regarding how we fit into Creation and relate to God is totally worth the effort. I especially appreciate the absence of dogmatism since each of the authors realizes that this is a work in progress. Equally, I appreciate the enthusiasm of the authors for this totally original approach to spirituality and the reconciliation of Christian Spirituality with the science that God gave us to further understand the world and ourselves. I am not sure that this is the place to start for those unfamiliar with Teilhard but want to know what he says. The editor, Ilia Delio, has written extensively on Teilhard so I would recommend her books as the starting place. (less)
flagLike · comment · see review



Mar 02, 2017Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, science, bookgroup-2-0-blackburn
I am in the process of finishing a stack of abandoned books -- and it is quite a stack! This is certainly not a book I would every think to pick up of my own accord. However, a colleague in a book group suggested it, having heard Ilia Delio speak at an event. I do not have a strong background in Teilhard de Chardin, but that really didn't get in the way of the text for me. It was at times very, very dense, and it challenged muscles in my mind that I haven't used since Div School. That said, it was fairly fascinating, and I wished that I had a more complete understanding of some of it. As it is, I enjoyed the exercise in resolve! (less)
flagLike · comment · see review



Jul 07, 2016Ephrem Arcement rated it it was amazing
This wonderful collection of essays builds upon the foundation of the great prophetic visionary Teilhard de Chardin. Divided into four major sections, it draws forth implications of Teilhard's thought theologically, philosophically, spiritually, and scientifically. While being honest with Teilhard's limitations, it also demonstrates how he has often been misunderstood by non-Christians and Christians alike. Particularly valuable is the section on spirituality. How do we pray and relate to God in light of an evolving, unfinished universe? These essays do much to move that conversation forward. (less)