2020/04/06

Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men and Women by John F. MacArthur Jr. | Goodreads



Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men and Women by John F. MacArthur Jr. | Goodreads



Want to Read

Rate this book
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars
Preview

Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men and Women

by
John F. MacArthur Jr.
3.92 · Rating details · 238 ratings · 20 reviews
For decades culture has blurred the lines between men and women, all in the name of equality. Yet instead of creating harmony, this approach has caused frustration and confusion, leaving families broken and hurting. Divine Design draws reader back to God’s intention for men and women, and tackles big issues such as authority in marriage, mothers in the home, and the innate differences between males and females. Readers will discover how embracing their unique design can foster security, balance, and love in a marriage and family.

(less)

GET A COPY
Kobo
Online Stores ▾
Book Links ▾

Kindle Edition, 274 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published August 3rd 2006)
Original Title
Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men & Women (MacArthur Study)
ASIN
B005UG7TZS
Edition Language
English

Other Editions (8)






All Editions | Add a New Edition | Combine...Less DetailEdit Details





FRIEND REVIEWS
Recommend This Book None of your friends have reviewed this book yet.



READER Q&A
Ask the Goodreads community a question about Divine Design



Be the first to ask a question about Divine Design



LISTS WITH THIS BOOK
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »



COMMUNITY REVIEWS
Showing 1-30
Average rating3.92 ·
Rating details
· 238 ratings · 20 reviews





More filters
|
Sort order

Sejin, start your review of Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men and Women
Write a review

Jul 28, 2017Hope rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity, family, non-fiction
Frankly, when I downloaded this book I was expecting a book about gender differences from a biblical standpoint to shed light on the chaos of modern "gender free" culture. The opening lines, “The fact that men and women are different by design is no surprise to those who are committed to reality,” seemed to tell me I was heading the right direction. But the entire book ended up being about male headship/female submission. I have no problem with discussing these issues from a biblical viewpoint, but they were not what I was expecting.

You’ve got to hand it to MacArthur for tackling every difficult passage on male and female roles (Proverbs 31, Ephesians 5, Titus 2, 1 Peter 3, etc.). His very traditional views are hard for most modern women to hear since they (myself included) have been conditioned to feminist thinking in many areas. I agree with him that many women have put self-fulfillment outside the home above being faithful keepers of the home, but still found his cut-and-dry judgments to be irksome at times.

While mostly writing about marriage, MacArthur also addresses widowhood, singleness and women in ministry.

One quote: “Man’s authority over woman is delegated to him by God to be used for His purposes and in His way. As a fellow creature, man has no innate superiority to woman and has no right to use his authority tyrannically or selfishly. Male chauvinism is no more biblical than feminism. Both are perversions of God’s plan.” (p. 54) (less)
flag5 likes · Like · comment · see review



Mar 01, 2011Malia rated it liked it · review of another edition
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
This was recommended to me by my pastor because I have recently been raising questions about the roles of women. It's a strong exposition of scripture, mainly 2 Timothy. I was affirmed in my decision to stay home with my children and challenged to value the impact I have in supporting my husband and investing in my kids.
flag3 likes · Like · comment · see review



Nov 22, 2015Allison Anderson Armstrong rated it liked it
Not my favorite. I felt like this book should have been title "all the do's and don'ts of women in Christianity." Too dogmatic for my tastes. He also wasn't super consistent in his views on women in the home.... Lots of scripture quoted which I can use to look up later, but I didn't really like the tone of this book... But maybe I'm just a touchy feminist.
flag3 likes · Like · 2 comments · see review



Dec 25, 2019Derek rated it it was ok
This book is less about “complimentary roles between men and women” and more about how apparently women today don’t follow the gospel by having day jobs. Pretty disappointed in MacArthurs writing style here. As someone who hopes to maintain a work-life balance that can better allow my wife to not need a job, I feel he spends too much time being critical on women who choose to work and “desire more independence” without examining how this has come about from a social or economic level. It just comes off like he’s promoting rule following instead of Christ seeking.

Secondly, he doesn’t address men and their role in any sort of similar fashion. As if men somehow follow their calling exactly as its written without any mistakes with a primary focus on task instead of heart. We can use and manipulate our roles for selfish reasons, yet this is barely touched on.

At no point did I feel like this book helped me understand the roles of my wife and I to genuinely love Christ first before serving one another.

Not worth your time. Go read Chandler or Keller instead. (less)
flag1 like · Like · comment · see review



Jun 04, 2015Heather Denigan rated it liked it
Did I just criticize John MacArthur?

Meh
The chapter on singleness made it sound like having a spouse gets in the way of serving the Lord -- rather than focusing on the unique ministry of singles (especially in a world that regards chastity as inhumane), the author focused on the negatives of marriage. But I watch my momma make every word, thought, gesture, and feeling captive to the obedience of Christ, while I struggle to work for God and not for man as a single person (before I was ever in a relationship).
Also, instead of the negatives of feminism, how are the beauties of God's design so blinding so as to show how ugly feminism has been from the beginning? Pointing upwards would make better evangelism.
The first half was helpful. The section on the Proverbs 31 woman was exhausting. How do I become this woman? Mere sleep deprivation won't make me like her. His exegesis on deaconesses was interesting.
CS Lewis' That Hideous Strength, Keller's The Meaning of Marriage, and Gary Thomas' Sacred Marriage make a far more convincing case for the beauty of God's design for men and women. (less)
flag1 like · Like · comment · see review



Apr 20, 2015Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-challenge-2015, womanhood, church-and-religion
As always, MacArthur brings a STRONG exposition of scripture and backs up everything that is said in the book win scriptures that aren't taken out of context but rather have been taken back to their original roots and meanings. There is no possibility of misunderstanding the intent of the Bible when discussing male/female roles after reading this book. MacArthur's Biblical stance is always the same and one hat I admire: one may not LIKE what it says, but that doesn't make it less true or one ...more
flag1 like · Like · comment · see review



Jan 23, 2019Nancy DeValve rated it it was ok
Shelves: biblical-teachings, marriage
I have very mixed feelings about this book. First, I struggle with John MacArthur and his style. He just has a tone of legalism and harshness that I don't find winning. Things are one way only and if you don't see it that way you are sinning. I think he could convince more people if he had a more winsome tone. On the other hand, he did say some things I agree with, so it's not that I hate everything he said.
I do think that he sees marriage as looking one way only: you must home school, Mom must stay at home, and if Dad isn't the main bread winner he's not doing his job. In my family, raised by very godly people, my parents were very much a team. They both worked outside the home, they both worked on chores in the home (my dad was just as likely to cook supper as my mom), they talked through every major decision together, they both gave 100% to their marriage, and they both deeply loved and respected each other. John and I are pretty much the same way. And I don't feel that a Team approach to marriage is not biblical. I think that is what God intended when he gave Eve to Adam.
Yes, it's true that Eve sinned and a tension of leadership/submission was introduced. Pain in childbirth entered the arena and work became a struggle and a toil. But just as it is not wrong to use methods in childbirth to reduce pain or methods in the work place to reduce the struggle to work, I don't think it's wrong to work in marriage to restore the Team Relationship.
I think that MacArthur also thinks that adultery happens because women in the church are not dressing modestly. One could almost believe that only immodest people have affairs. And maybe he didn't mean to make it sound like it's usually the woman's fault, but that's how it sounded to me.
I do agree that men and women aren't the same and there is no reason to try to force us to be each other. We just never will be and we are happier when we accept our differences. (less)
flagLike · 1 comment · see review